i've heard conflicting statements, some people think its easy to master, others think its hard. Is it a difficult technique to master? And by master, i mean really being able to master it, not just being able to play a few songs.
Well, if multiple people had conflicting personal experiences, then that is a sign that learning is different for everyone. I, personally, am still learning tapping. As it can be used in several situations, not just the little 5,8,12 fret tapping shape over and over (which I had thought was the only way to tap.) So to answer your question, I would say yes. IMO, of course.
yep, one finger on your right hand isnt hard but bring bringing more of them into play is were it starts getting tricky
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
If in the style of Van Halen, yes. If in the style of Periphery, **** no.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
If you just tap on 1 string, it's easy

Try sweeping with taps, and tapping across all the strings, then it's as hard as it gets
If it's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcrXJJhRGI , then yeah sure.

If it's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0 , then yeah, not so much.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 3, 2011,
I don't remember it being hard.
Although you can always make it more complex and upgrade the technique...

The only thing I could suggest is learn the tapping part of Van Halen's Eruption (could be hard for a beginner...), the last solo in Metallica's One (extremely basic and simple), the intro of Megadeth's Devil's Island.
Or you can make some cool tapping part, try to challenge yourself a little...
Dukey Uses & Abuses:

A Jackson Kelly, A Gibson Les Paul, 2 Fender amps,An Ibanez bass, A Digitech RP350
Quote by GibsonMan321

If it's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0 , then yeah, not so much.

Yeah, Chris is phenomenal. In the word of one of the comments:

"Hi, I'm Chris Broderick and I'm here to destroy your hopes and dreams of being a guitar player."
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
It all boils down to what kind of use you want to get out of your technique. If you're looking to do fairly straightforward tapping bits a la EVH and Kirk Hammett, you aren't looking at a particularly difficult technique.

Alternately, if you're looking at doing more intensive stuff like Protest the Hero (especially their new album), Chapman or Broderick-style eight-finger tapping bits, then you're in for much more of a challenge.
Gojira have some awesome rhythm tapping too, that's not as easy as the whole 5,8,12 thing.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Quote by Ed Hunter
If in the style of Van Halen, yes. If in the style of Periphery, **** no.

You are saying that the Van Halen style isn't as hard as the Periphery style of tapping, am I correct?

Are people answering the question wrong or am I just confused?
I'm Tyler
Quote by Octtwe88
You are saying that the Van Halen style isn't as hard as the Periphery style of tapping, am I correct?

Are people answering the question wrong or am I just confused?

You are correct sir. This bitch needs to learn how to read.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Really depends exactly how you define "master" in the first place, it's not exactly a very specific term.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's basically 2 things you have to get down for tapping: hammering-on/pulling-off with enough pressure for the note to be heard nice and clear and switching the pick so that you can tap with your desired finger(index for me) w/o letting it fall. The rest is coordination, which you should already have.
It's very easy to get the basics, but very tough to master. Much like guitar as a whole.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
It's very easy to get the basics, but very tough to master. Much like guitar as a whole.

This, no technique is easy to master. To get down the basic tapping idea won't take you very long at all but there are more complex applications that take a lot more work to get to grips with.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.