Hi guys, I was planning to buy a electric guitar. I don't have any experience in electric guitar. I'm just a newbie. Well I would like you to suggest some good guitar according to my budget.

My budget for the guitar is $350 and an amp worth $150.
I was thinking of an amp which has its distortion. If any of you have some amps with good distortion please tell. If not please tell me some good pedals worth $150.
If I dont get a good amp with a distortion in it i'm goin for the pedal with a cheaper amp.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by rajatmendus at Jul 3, 2011,
First off, there's gonna be an array of questions:
What style music do you intend to play?
Are you willing to go used?
More questions to come
For the amp you should definetly get a roland cube 30. Great for the price, but, they are 150. so here is what i suggest. I HIGHLY reccomend an Ibanez GRX20 for your guitar. there probably the most solid beginner guitars you can by. it was my first guitar and i still play it after almost 4 years even tho i have purchased much higher end guitars since then. BUT, the great thing about this is its only 150!!! so that leaves you with about $200 dollars extra!!!
Quote by songmaster
For the amp you should definetly get a roland cube 30. Great for the price, but, they are 150. so here is what i suggest. I HIGHLY reccomend an Ibanez GRX20 for your guitar. there probably the most solid beginner guitars you can by. it was my first guitar and i still play it after almost 4 years even tho i have purchased much higher end guitars since then. BUT, the great thing about this is its only 150!!! so that leaves you with about $200 dollars extra!!!

I agree about the cube. But we should wait and see if he's more a single-coil or humbucker guy.
Quote by Skullivan
I agree about the cube. But we should wait and see if he's more a single-coil or humbucker guy.

very true.
In addition to the Roland Cube, you might consider a Peavey Vypyr. No matter what, avoid the Line 6 Spider amps....they seem like a good deal, but they aren't.
Schecter Omen 6 = $300
Line 6 Spider IV 15 Watt = $100

I don't own the Omen, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which is also good, but I've played the Omen and the pickups sound better IMO. It also has 24 frets, unlike the Epiphone which has only 22.
Quote by Chimara
Schecter Omen 6 = $300
Line 6 Spider IV 15 Watt = $100

I don't own the Omen, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which is also good, but I've played the Omen and the pickups sound better IMO. It also has 24 frets, unlike the Epiphone which has only 22.

Line 6 is a BIG no no
Quote by Skullivan

From a guitar instructor standpoint, the first guitar isn't all that important. Get something that's comfortable to play, feels good and is properly built. The majority of the budget should go towards the guitar. Figure on having this guitar for a couple of years. During that time, you'll develop your musical taste and tone, at which time you can upgrade. Don't worry about choosing a guitar "with a good tone" right now - just get something that's well-built, feels good to play and motivates you to practice every day.
I think I would personally suggest an Ibanez RG321 just because the Wizard necks on them are awesome, the passive humbuckers are pretty versatile and the tone is really acceptable for a beginners guitar. The new Squier Bullet Stratocasters are good and anyone saying anything different is probably talking about one 4 years old or more. Every one of them I've laid my hands on that are less than 4 years old are really nice beginner instruments if you like single coils and they only cost like 120$ new.

Again, with the amp, stay away from the Line 6 Spider. Get a Roland Cube, a Vox Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr. These 3 are all good modeling amps, all 3 have good distortion and usable effects.
i would say look at getting an ibanez and possibly a peavey vypyr of a line 6 spider series. a friend of mine just bought an ibanez and a fender mustang and he loves both so that is also an option. dont listen to everyone about something being crap or not crap, go play things and find out for yourself.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
i would say look at getting an ibanez and possibly a peavey vypyr of a line 6 spider series. a friend of mine just bought an ibanez and a fender mustang and he loves both so that is also an option. dont listen to everyone about something being crap or not crap, go play things and find out for yourself.

Taking into account what iceh88 is saying regarding don't take other people's word for what is or is not crap, again, what people have been saying about the Line 6 Spider amps - when you start playing your ears aren't 'trained' in the way they become after playing for a while. I started out with a Line 6 Spider, and at first I loved it and didn't understand why everyone was so down on them, then as I slowly improved I got where I couldn't stand listening to it. I had to get rid of it, and get a completely different practice amp. I am telling you this so you can get a practice amp you will stay happy with and not wake up one morning hating your amp to the point you are discouraged from even playing.

I personally feel the same about not taking other people's word for what is crap and what isn't, but you have to also understand your current skills/abilities and if you ask advice from others consider their skill/abilities/experience - it is still up to you and I hope you are happy with whichever amp you pick out.
Thank you all of you. Thanks for showing great concern in my post.

What are your comments on the ibanez grg 150dx and grg 170dx?
Also how is the peavey viper 15watt amp and roland 15x?