Is it normal to get discomfort in the elbow area from barre chords? After I play for an extended period of time, my elbow feels weird.
-Mike
Normally, we get discomfort in the hands. If you're experiencing discomfort in the elbow, you may want to look at your technique or playing position.
Absolutely what KG6_Steven is saying - I go to a guitar instructor once every 3 months or so just to point out any bad habits I'm teaching myself. I found out most bad habits are fixed just by making sure you are relaxed and don't have tension in your arms, shoulders and hands.
Quote by katalyzt13
Absolutely what KG6_Steven is saying - I go to a guitar instructor once every 3 months or so just to point out any bad habits I'm teaching myself. I found out most bad habits are fixed just by making sure you are relaxed and don't have tension in your arms, shoulders and hands.

That is an excellent idea!
-Mike
Quote by katalyzt13

This this this!
Quote by Sats1988
Definitely being relaxed is the way forward!

How do you relax playing barre chords? I need to apply alot of pressure on my acoustic to get them to ring out.
-Mike
I have same problem, but this part of my hand hurts a lot. Also, I've been playing for like 6 months now, I can play those barre chords just fine, but it just hurts a lot after playing for like 2 hours.

Quote by Widefingers
How do you relax playing barre chords? I need to apply alot of pressure on my acoustic to get them to ring out.

my teacher told me to get position right first,just play the chord without pressing hard,ignore the muffled sound,after awhile u will ease into it,its not something u get right overnught,might take a few weeks b your comfy with it,good luck,
Be sure you spend some time tweaking your index finger and finding that "magic spot" (usually nestled up next to the fret bar). Rolling it slightly to the side will also help the strings ring clearer, I've noticed. Lastly, I find that the tip of my index finger tends to stick up about half an inch above the neck of the guitar.

I've been spending the last few weeks strengthening my hand/perfecting my technique for barre chords, and each time I notice less and less pain over longer periods of time.

Always be in tune with your body. It is as important as being in tune with the guitar.

PS: If you still cannot find a comfortable way to play the barre, there is a possibility your acoustic has an unnaturally high action -- possibly caused by warping or simply poor design. I've seen this before, and even as a "seasoned" guitarist I find it extremely difficult to produce clear chords/melodies without really digging into my fingertips. If this is the case, I strongly recommend a new guitar. (If there's a way to lower the action/adjust the neck on an acoustic, I'm not aware of it... but I haven't had one in years now.)
Last edited by freakstylez at Jul 5, 2011,