Poll: Will you upload YouTube covers of yourself if it's a felony?
Poll Options
View poll results: Will you upload YouTube covers of yourself if it's a felony?
Heck yah, I'll do what I want
46 34%
Nah, I'm trying not to get arrested
17 13%
It won't get passed so who cares?
73 54%
Voters: 136.
Page 1 of 3
Sorry if this has been posted, found nothing in the search bar.

http://www.climbthenet.com/senate-bill-s-978-makes-most-of-youtube-a-felony/1717

Does anyone else find this extremely crazy?

UPDATE: Petition link from JUST_MATT

http://act.demandprogress.org/act/ten_strikes?source=fb
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Last edited by bluekirby7 at Jul 3, 2011,
Why would anyone vote yes for this?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

◎⃝ _◎⃝ ;

Is this serious or is it a joke?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Jul 3, 2011,
Lol 5 years in jail.

Because sometimes, when people already have too much money - they just ****ing want more.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
If I'm right it pretty much ****s any of my cover videos as I use the original songs as backing tracks.

Best get some originality if that passes.

(I'm aware that I'm in the UK, but Youtube is based in the US, so all content will officially be illegal, like on youtube's part, so they'd enforce all material of that nature to come down. )

Thing is, there's support for the wording to be changed, for people like gamers, but musicians (and I dunno if there's a scene for 'em but people like Dancers or anyone who'd use copywrited (that's not a word) music or anything for their videos) would be ****ed no matter what.
Heard about this yesterday. I think it's stupid. "Let's Play" videos are the only reason why I buy games. If this bill does pass, Youtube will turn to shit.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
Quote by blankoff
◎⃝ _◎⃝ ;

I wish it was a joke. Probably isn't though. Who the **** comes up with this stuff anyway?
Quote by blankoff
◎⃝ _◎⃝ ;

Gov websites list it. And its mentioned on the NYtimes website
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/bills/112/s978
Current Stage Gear
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
If it passes, will there be anything worth watching on YouTube?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
If this bill goes through youtube will pretty much be finished, only the accounts who are youtube partners will still make videos and most of those aren't worth watching.

There are other video sites too, so maybe dailymotion or metacafe will be the next big thing
One has to ask - how will the monitor this? Waste of money much.

Spend more money on the upgrading your nuclear power plants (Thorium, not uranium duh!) and funding for the middle east, then if you still feel being like a twat - then you can spend money on shit like this.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Trowzaa
Why would anyone vote yes for this?

They'll get lots of money from the industries that support it.
Yes this is serious. There are petitions out there that try to stop this from going into law. You can also contact your congressmen and tell them what a horrible joke this legislation is. Go here to counteract it.

http://act.demandprogress. org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=731.93589.vk3V0Y&rd=1&t=5

I put a space before org, because I think that sometimes they moderate posts with links in them.
this is a very good thing. i hope it passes.

When just the right person gets arrested, this will go to the supreme court, and we will get a new interpretation of Fair Use. Because of this, it will never pass.
see? censorship in action -.-
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Quote by HaistaPaska92
If this bill goes through youtube will pretty much be finished, only the accounts who are youtube partners will still make videos and most of those aren't worth watching.

There are other video sites too, so maybe dailymotion or metacafe will be the next big thing

But they're crap in comparison, i hope Blip TV doesn't become the next big thing, 30s advert before EVERY video.

EDIT: and it's always the same 3 adverts every time!
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by blackflag49
They'll get lots of money from the industries that support it.

Lol, but then no one would actually use youtube, VeVo is a bane as it is - people won't purposefully go onto youtube to purposefully get spammed by 'OMG CHECK COLDPLAYS SINGLE!!!' or 'OMGLOL CHECK LADY GAGA PERFORMING'.

It would be simply another cold switch to another site, with youtube becoming memory.

Myspace-Facebook
AOL-Yahoo
Putfile-Youtube
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I don't think we have enough people in our prisons.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Spartan101400
Yeah, I would, because the US government has no jurisdiction over a something that doesn't physically exist.

They have jurisdiction over the people who post the videos within our country, and probably other special instances as well
Saw this yesterday on Azuritereaction's channel. This better not pass or I'll be having a nice, long stay in jail. I've got 6 or 7 cover videos and a Rock Band video.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/money

Specific Organizations Supporting S.978

American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
Directors Guild of America
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States
Screen Actors Guild
Motion Picture Association of America
Recording Industry Association of America
Independent Film and Television Alliance
National Association of Theatre Owners
Ultimate Fighting Championship
American Federation of Musicians
American Intellectual Property Law Association
NBC Universal
Viacom
Sony Pictures Entertainment
American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers
Association of American Publishers
Association of Independent Music Publishers
American Photographic Artists
AT&T
Broadcast Music, Inc.
Business Software Alliance
CBS Corporation
Church Music Publishers Association
Entertainment Software Association
Graphic Artists Guild
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
National Association of Broadcasters
National Collegiate Athletic Association
National Music Publishers' Association
National Basketball Association
News America Holdings
Newspaper Association of America
Picture Archive Council of America
Professional Photographers of America
Professional School Photographers Association
Reed Elsevier
PPL & VPL
SESAC
Software & Information Industry Association
Time Warner
Universal Music Group
Magazine Publishers of America
The Walt Disney Company
Writers Guild of America, West
U. S. Chamber of Commerce
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Entertainment Merchants Association
Global Intellectual Property Center

Specific Organizations Opposing S.978

U.S.W.G.O.
Demand Progress
Electronic Frontier Foundation

Quote by Spartan101400
Yeah, I would, because the US government has no jurisdiction over a something that doesn't physically exist.

All this digital media exists in a physical state SOMEWHERE. In youtube's case, it is in the form of 0s and 1s (electrons) in a server. That server happens to be on US soil, owned by a US company.
Quote by shreddymcshred
They have jurisdiction over the people who post the videos within our country, and probably other special instances as well

Quote by Dirge Humani
All this digital media exists in a physical state SOMEWHERE. In youtube's case, it is in the form of 0s and 1s (electrons) in a server. That server happens to be on US soil, owned by a US company.

So, how would you guys like to invest in my orbiting servers that I own and no other country owns?

Bye youtube. You were going to shit anyway.

Someone just set up a new server based in Belgium or Luxembourg or something. They'll do well from it.
Quote by Spartan101400
So, how would you guys like to invest in my orbiting servers that I own and no other country owns?

A couple of years ago I would have called you crazy. Today I'm starting to think that it is the only possible solution
Quote by HaistaPaska92

It's not just Youtube though, any site that uploads game videos will be penalized
Last edited by darkcheef at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Anthony1991
One has to ask - how will the monitor this? Waste of money much.

Well, they can tell when there's "matched third party content" in my video covers, and my most viewed video only has 5000 views, which is **** all in the context of youtube.

So if they can do that, they can acknowledge and then send a "Take that shit down or get banned" message.
That's just fvcked up! They can go to hell.

I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by magnus_maximus
Money talks.

More specifically, corporate entities with dubious lobbying powers talk.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Well, they can tell when there's "matched third party content" in my video covers, and my most viewed video only has 5000 views, which is **** all in the context of youtube.

So if they can do that, they can acknowledge and then send a "Take that shit down or get banned" message.

My question, is all of youtube located in america? Im moving back to england this week and would this law still apply to me? haha
Current Stage Gear
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Wait, so this will only affect Youtube, right?

What a bunch of dumbasses, all that's going to happen is Youtube going down and another huge site popping up, resulting in a large waste of money and time, and will probably spark a similar bill resulting in the same thing.
Quote by bluekirby7
My question, is all of youtube located in america? Im moving back to england this week and would this law still apply to me? haha

No, the US can't do sh*t outside of the US... The rest of the world can upload as much copyrighted matieral as they want. People in the US can't.

Quote by ABRfan
Wait, so this will only affect Youtube, right?

What a bunch of dumbasses, all that's going to happen is Youtube going down and another huge site popping up, resulting in a large waste of money and time, and will probably spark a similar bill resulting in the same thing.

I thought it'd effect all of the internet.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
No, the US can't do sh*t outside of the US... The rest of the world can upload as much copyrighted matieral as they want. People in the US can't.

Even though Im a US citizen? What happens when I finish college in england and come back? Guess itd be illegal then haha
Current Stage Gear
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Quote by bluekirby7
Even though Im a US citizen? What happens when I finish college in england and come back? Guess itd be illegal then haha

If you upload from england you should be fine... Uploading in the US, they could take action... But so many people will have commited this "crime" that they'd never be able to catch them all.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Quote by Robbin'TheHood

I thought it'd effect all of the internet.

So basically, all Americans would have to make accounts and set our location to anywhere in Europe, then run through a proxy server.

I thought so too, but after re-reading, it only states Youtube. I may just be stupid though.
Page 1 of 3