I just got my first Electric, an Epi SG-400 (running it through a L6 Spider IV). I dunno what to do with the tone knobs. Help would be appreciated. I look for some sort of response like :
Setting it to low values does ...
Setting it to high values does ...
I personally like setting the bridge pup to ...
I personally like setting the bridge pup to ...

*Also, looking from above - the playing while standing position - , where would the selected value face? I think it's something like 45 degrees to the left of the vertical axis. I SUCK AT TALKING COMPLEX STUFF, I KNOW
Removes treble.

Ie, you turn it down, less treble, turn it up, more treble. Neck pickup with lower treble is creamy for solos.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Turning down the tone control cuts some of the treble. Most people keep them all the way up.
Lower setting cuts treble, higher setting keeps the treble of your pickup (dont know how to word that).

Set it where you think it makes your guitar sound best. I personally dont mess with my tone knob and keep it at the highest setting.
With my Schecter, it's a really bright guitar, so I usually keep the tone rolled down a touch, even when distorted. I think it sounds smoother.
The Epi G-400's stock pickups sound really bass-y to me, so on mine I mostly keep the treble all the way up. You will find that there are times where making an adjustment via the tone knob on your guitar accomplishes the same thing as adjusting EQ on your amp, etc. I have noticed that it varies greatly on my guitars how useful the tone knobs are. They are extremely useful on my G&L S500 - but the whole tone system is different - it is the PTB system. On my Epi G-400 the tone knob is almost completely useless. When I do make any adjustment on the Epi it is to roll the treble down to 50 - 75% instead of full on when I am playing on the bridge pickup due to sometimes I feel like the tone of the bridge pickup can get a little 'treble-y'.
Usually people will keep it the tone knob maxed, but it can be useful for "eqing" on the go if you know how to use it (as described above). Personally I roll the tone knob on my guitar a little bit down to cut down on the treble.
Quote by katalyzt13
The Epi G-400's stock pickups sound really bass-y to me, so on mine I mostly keep the treble all the way up. You will find that there are times where making an adjustment via the tone knob on your guitar accomplishes the same thing as adjusting EQ on your amp, etc. I have noticed that it varies greatly on my guitars how useful the tone knobs are. They are extremely useful on my G&L S500 - but the whole tone system is different - it is the PTB system. On my Epi G-400 the tone knob is almost completely useless. When I do make any adjustment on the Epi it is to roll the treble down to 50 - 75% instead of full on when I am playing on the bridge pickup due to sometimes I feel like the tone of the bridge pickup can get a little 'treble-y'.

Epi stocks overall are very thick, bass, and warm. A little too much for my tastes, I plan on putting a much more treble oriented pick-up in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, probably a JB.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Basically the tone knob is a low pass filter with the parameter reversed. What this means: a filter removes certain frequencies from your signal, low pass means it allows the low frequencies to PASS through the filter unaffected. Now, normally if you have a low pass filter turned all the way up it means its filtering out the maximum amount. on a guitar this is reversed so that when the tone knob is at 10 the filter is off and when it is at 0 it is all the way on, filtering out most of the high frequencies in your signal. Personally I don't like the sound of these filters on guitars and prefer to have them removed for more volume knobs, but some people get interesting sounds out of neck pickups with the tone knob at 0 (think the strokes guitarist Nick Valensi on 12:51).
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
I like using the middle pickup setting and roll back the tone knob all the way. With a little overdrive you can get a interesting nasally kinda half open wah kinda tone.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Leave it at max, do not touch it unless you play blues/country/surf or similar ... its really a relic of those times and ****s up your sound if misused.
ok i have a further question, on my strat i have 2 tone knobs and it seems like many do so i always assumed they were bass and treble but no ones made any mention of bass in any of the responses yet. is that just a coincidence and my assumption is right or is one of them something else (i always just keep them on 10)
I like my bridge tone knob at 6 for most of my music and my neck knob at 10.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by jmako
ok i have a further question, on my strat i have 2 tone knobs and it seems like many do so i always assumed they were bass and treble but no ones made any mention of bass in any of the responses yet. is that just a coincidence and my assumption is right or is one of them something else (i always just keep them on 10)

one tone knob for each pickup
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by jmako

They both control treble. You'll just have to experiment with them and find a setting that you like.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
haha thanks, i never ever gave it a second thought but its good to know now. with a bridge middle and neck and only 2 knobs does that mean its bridge and neck?
So... I got what they do. Now: What value should I use on which pickup for : Blues, Metal, Clean sounds.
Quote by jmako

Traditionally, on a strat, the tone knobs are for the middle and neck pickup and no tone control for the bridge pickup. You can get the bridge pickup wired into one of the tone knobs if you find the schematics and know what you're doing or use a good luthier. Also, the G&L strats have what you are talking about where they have the PTB (Passive Treble Bass) controls where one knob controls treble, the other controls bass, but not on a Fender, Squier, etc. They are regular tone knobs that just control how much treble is cut out of the signal.
Quote by klysandral
people get interesting sounds out of neck pickups with the tone knob at 0 (think the strokes guitarist Nick Valensi on 12:51).

And Clapton's woman tone. Sunshine of your love and so on.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Quote by jmako
haha thanks, i never ever gave it a second thought but its good to know now. with a bridge middle and neck and only 2 knobs does that mean its bridge and neck?

no. at least not on mine. on mine the the tone knobs control the neck and middle pickups, the bridge is on full blast all the time. in fact for the first two years I had it, I only used the bridge and I thought the tone knobs were broken.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
The Tone knob adds resistance to the circuit causing the sound to loose many frequencies, mostly high ones.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Rolls off treble frequencies.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I have to say: your Spider also won't show off what a tone knob does very much. I never touched mine until I got a real tube amp, because the only thing it did was make my guitar sound muffled. Try messing around with it using another amp, and you'll get a good idea of what they do.
Quote by azot
(running it through a L6 Spider IV).

Somewhat unrelated but did you buy that from GC? Honestly, I don't think they push those amps on people that much. Well, they recommended that to me as my first amp but I liked it. The effects are amazing. But we dont want to start that debate again do we??

OT: Simply put, the tone knob controls the bite (kind of) of your sound. Its more like a trebly presence thats there when its on 10 but you don't pay much attention to it. When its off, it sounds dull and timid? Hard to explain, just listen for yourself.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yep, I finally understand. I live in Romania, so it was late at night when I started the thread and couldn't just wake up my neighbours w/ the monstrous Spider (it literally ROCKS).

@JKHC I bought it from MuzicaStore (the somewhat equivalent of GuitarCenter in Romania - since it's the biggest store in the capital afaik). And yes, he recommended me the amp. Good thing he did, cuz otherwise I would've gone for a Roland Cube 15XL. For ~$75 more it was worth the Spider.