Hi everybody !
Some of my questions have probably been answered in different threads but I don’t really find what I’m looking for.

I’m starting a band with a friend of mine. She’ll be the singer, I’ll be the guitarist (bass and drums will be done by myself on my computer). To sum up: I play the guitar for more than 3 years and I’ve always wanted to make my own band. During more than 2 years, I’ve changed a lot through my unfinished projects. It was either the kind of music (mix of rock, metal, … then shoegaze, post-rock, back to rock, jazzy/bluesy punk, &hellip or the line-up. That way, I’ve done some songs (well, not songs, since I haven’t been able to write lyrics I’m proud of).

But now that I start a new project which could be the one I’ve dreamed of (I hope so&hellip, some doubts are popping in my mind…

1. Should we begin from nothing? I mean… above, I’ve said that I’ve done some songs without lyrics. Should we write totally new songs?

2. I love a lot of kind of music. If I could, I would do a shoegaze jazzy/bluesy/bossanova punk band with visual kei influences (I’m exaggerating, but you know what I mean). Should we try to a) put all our influences in our music, making a “potpourri” kind of music, b) let our feelings do what we’ve to do, or c) choose 2 or 3 kinds of music that we like and start with this?

3. I’m used to often compare what I do to my “idols” and to myself: I want to show my favourite guitarists’ influence in my music without being a copy (since I love guitarists who are quite different from each other, it becomes really hard: I’m too eclectic) and I want to have my own style, without doing either the same thing again and again or doing things too much different.

4. Through 2 weeks, since Tuesday, I won’t be able to listen to music (I mean, by myself) and I would read some books (Perfume, Dracula, The Trial, Mallarmé’s poetry, eroguro stuff, &hellip. Should I avoid to listen to music again when I’ll be back and just start writing new material? By the way, should I try to improve my lyrics writing during those 2 weeks?

I’ll be glad if some of you could answer, to even one question =)
1. Both of you should listen to what you've already written. If you like it, put it in the "save" pile to either be tweaked or left as-is. If you don't like it, but think it can be rewritten, then annotate it as such and tuck it back in the pile. If neither of you like the song, then ditch it. If one of you likes it, but the other doesn't, then maybe hang on to it for down the road.

2. Do what comes natural. Don't try to force influences on music - music should come naturally.

3. That's a good thing to do. Take what you like in others and make it your own style.

4. 2 weeks isn't enough time to improve your writing skills. If your skills aren't happening right now, they won't be much better in two weeks. Don't let that stop you from working on your writing skills, but just don't try to go from writing cheezy nursery rhymes to top notch poetry in 14 days - ain't gonna happen. Don't stop listening to music. What you hear might provide a seed for something you want to create.
Thanks for your answers!

For 1., well, it was I've thought about. But at the same time, if we want to create our own universe, since those instrumentals were done before, won't it "kill" the start because it will be the base of our universe? (don't know if it's clear xD)

For 2., I guess it's what I will naturally go for ^^

For 3., it's a bit hard, because I don't really know how to assimilate each style and lots of my favourite guitarists' bands don't have lots of tabs... but I'll do my best.

For 4., I know that it's impossible to become really better, but I meant: should I try to improve my writing style apart of my guitar skills? Well, it's not that I really want to stop to listen to music, but I won't have any system to listen to bands that I like.

EDIT: just forget... the singer suggested that we should do some covers before creating our own stuff. Good idea?
Last edited by TDAyame at Jul 3, 2011,
Just relax a little, you're trying to achieve music by numbers a little too much here. If what you have already is good, then develop it. If a song turns out to be shoegaze, metal, or African tribal then that's what it is. As far as influences, that's exactly what they are, they will be self evident in what you do, so don't worry about forcing the point.

Good luck!
Some pointers:

1. Decide whether you're a covers band or an originals band at the start. For you two covers may be optimal because I'm guessing neither of you have much experience playing with other people.

2. Don't decide the genre, play music and it'll figure itself out.

3. Your influences should show through naturally in your playing without trying, they are your influences.

4. I'm not keen on the synthesised bass and drum tracks, you may want to start out as an acoustic duo or find extra people for the band once you have some songs down.

5. If you have songs written, play them. If they don't go well put them aside for a later time or never. The more songs the better, even if you have some songs that you consider crap, it's still better than nothing if they're executed well.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thanks for your answers!

I guess everything you said is what we'll go for (excepted on some little points but it depends on each person)
I just disagree on:
4. I'm not keen on the synthesised bass and drum tracks, you may want to start out as an acoustic duo or find extra people for the band once you have some songs down.

It's really hard to find people who could follow me. As said above, I love a lot of kind of music. The singer is a really good friend and she'll follow me, whatever happens. I know that it's better to have real musicians but I won't be myself because I'll have to do too much compromises... And it's a matter of taste =)
Quote by AlanHB

I would disagree with the "acoustic duo" bit: there's nothing stopping you having a very interesting electric guitar-and-vocals sound -- particularly if you as the guitarist won't be singing as well, so you won't be limited to playing simpler stuff that you can sing along with. You don't need to go acoustic just because you don't have a drummer or bassist.

But I'll agree with not using a backing track. If you want a "full band" sound, you need a full band; and if you don't want a "full band" sound, you can just be a duo.

In my opinion (and this is just an opinion, so take that for what it's worth), a duo with a backing track comes across a bit like "our music isn't interesting enough to stand on its own, and no-one's interested in joining us". This is regardless of whether the music is or isn't actually interesting enough to stand on its own -- even if it would be, having the backing track detracts from that. If you're going to be a duo, own it.
Quote by TDAyame
It's really hard to find people who could follow me. As said above, I love a lot of kind of music. The singer is a really good friend and she'll follow me, whatever happens. I know that it's better to have real musicians but I won't be myself because I'll have to do too much compromises... And it's a matter of taste =)

Err, I'm not following you either.

Quote by ascend
I would disagree with the "acoustic duo" bit: there's nothing stopping you having a very interesting electric guitar-and-vocals sound -- particularly if you as the guitarist won't be singing as well, so you won't be limited to playing simpler stuff that you can sing along with. You don't need to go acoustic just because you don't have a drummer or bassist.

Perhaps I should have stated "duo" rather than "acoustic duo", both are legitmate. At the very least we are both not keen on backing tracks. I actually saw a band with 5 present members AND backing tracks, and somehow they didn't sound as full as my 3 piece band. Go figure.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud