Got an old '89 model guitar with an Original Floyd Rose. I set it up, tuned it, and locked the nut. The bridge is parallel to the body, and the nut is locked tightly. So why is it that whenever I dive, my lower strings fall flat, and when I pull up, my higher ones go flat too? It seems that either the nut isn't holding, or the bridge isn't returning to the same position each time. Are one of the parts wearing out? Do I just need to replace the springs? Little help here, please.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Try tightening the screws holding the block and check that the height adjustment screws are at the same level.
Seems like your strings just need some stretching.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Seems like your strings just need some stretching.

+1

Every guitar player needs to know/remember to stretch their strings.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab

Could be that the knife edges are worn out if it's that old. I dont know if an OFR let's you replace the knife edges alone or if you have to buy the whole bridge. And just in case:

Stretch strings.
Start on the high e and stretch all along the string for about 3 minutes. Add 1 or 2 minutes per string as you move up (B, G, etc.). The low e takes a while yeah.

Add some chap stick between the posts and the knife edges (you dont need to take it all apart, just turn the post half way, and apply, turn back to original position and it'll meet the knife edge). This will lube the parts and help them return to their original position easier. I use it and it works.

If that didnt help, it'll not do bad to read this tech guide. It talks about Ibanezes but you can pretty much apply it to any guitar with the same hardware. This was (and is) my bible every time I do a full setup
Last edited by 1990EAM at Jul 3, 2011,
I'm pretty sure the TS knows how to stretch his strings, it's a Floyd after all.

Since the guitar is older, I'd bet the problem is the Floyd's posts. The knife edges are case hardened on an OFR so most of the wear is transferred to the posts. Replace these with the correct ones and it should alleviate your tuning stability problem.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually figured out the problem now. I didn't look when I set it up, the bridge was sitting tilted to the right because I had the posts adjusted to different heights. Problem solved!
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually figured out the problem now. I didn't look when I set it up, the bridge was sitting tilted to the right because I had the posts adjusted to different heights. Problem solved!

It's supposed to be that way because you wont want/really need the trebble side as high as the bass side because the lighter strings need less space to vibrate.

So I'm guessing that cant be the problem. I have it tilted to the right aswell, and I'm pretty sure everyone does.

I'd check that guide I talked about in my other post, and keep us updated!
Last edited by 1990EAM at Jul 4, 2011,
Well then it could have been stretching the strings. All I know is that I leveled the bridge, and stretched the strings and now it holds tune. Frankly, I don't give a damn what it was just as long as it's all doing fine now. hahaha.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT