Hey all,

What's the best guitar for hard rock music? (Guns N' Roses, Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Velvet Revolver etc.) I'm lead guitarist in a hard rock band and looking to add another guitar to my collection currently consisting of a Les Paul Studio, a Tony Iommi Epi and a Fender Strat. I was considering a Mustaine VMNT1 as some of our songs are pretty heavy and sound pretty nice through a VMNT1, but it wouldn't fit with most of our songs. They are bitchin' guitars though. My budget is say $1000 - $1600. I was thinking a Gibson SG Classic? Anyone offer any advice, I know you guys are good for it!
So what would you recommend? That's what I was thinking too, always been more of a Les Paul guy but I do quite like SG's
I'd say sell your studio and combine that with your current budget to get a used Custom. Or you could just use your current budget towards a Les Paul Traditional Pro which suits your music perfectly
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
your iommi sg already has that covered so really a semi-hollow seems like the one thing you don't have. a strat and a LP pretty much cover hard rock already so are you sure that is where you want to put your cash. maybe a better amp of fx might be a better answer.
Les Paul Standard without a shadow of a doubt. I mean, every one of those bands uses a Les Paul. It's a no brainer.
You're being very vague. Based on your original post the answer would be "absolutely anything with humbuckers". You need to be more specific. Scale length? Tremolo? Tone specifics? Are you down-tuning?
Are you looking for a hard rock tone or specifically just a hard rock guitar? As it's been stated, your Gibsons should work out fine. With that kind of budget, though, there are plenty of amps that you could buy, if you are looking for tone. What kind of amp do you have now? And if you do want a new amp, how loud do you need it?
Dude, you have a Les Paul, SG, and a Strat. You don't get more hard rock than that.

Maybe an Ibanez? Another Les Paul? I don't see what's wrong with what you've got. It'd be a pain bringing all those guitars to a gig anyway
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
ESP LTD H series deluxe would be my reccomendation, im not a huge fan of any of those models specifically.
Quote by TheLetheProject
Are you looking for a hard rock tone or specifically just a hard rock guitar? As it's been stated, your Gibsons should work out fine. With that kind of budget, though, there are plenty of amps that you could buy, if you are looking for tone. What kind of amp do you have now? And if you do want a new amp, how loud do you need it?

Using a Marshall AVT100 at the minute, it's pretty nice but looking to upgrade sooner rather than later. I'd probably look at another 100watt amp, as I gig quite regularly.
Quote by controlledchaos
Using a Marshall AVT100 at the minute, it's pretty nice but looking to upgrade sooner rather than later. I'd probably look at another 100watt amp, as I gig quite regularly.

Go out and get a JCM800 or a JCM2000.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Take a look at the JCM800 or a JCM2000 TSL. A JVM410H would suit you aswell. Just look at some decent amps. The YJM100 is really good if you just ignore the fact it's related to Yngiwe. In all honesty, it's a 59SLP with a load of mods on. Awesome amp.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
LP or SG a Strat would wor, but most of what you listed is Mahogany guitars with humbuckers territory
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
Go out and get a JCM800 or a JCM2000.

Or a vintage modern. At least try one. It nails hard rock. For a single channel amp, it's pretty versatile. I think it has more body and depth than a JCM800. But that's just my opinion.