I'm picking up a JCA20H in a few weeks and I want an overdrive to boost it. If I don't have enough money left over for a legit OD can I mod my First Act Distortion into an overdrive?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
You couldn't make it an overdrive per se but you could do some work to it to make it sound a bit more "tubey". You'd need to get the schematic though.
Why not just make an overdrive pedal and then put it in the first acts enclosure?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I put this Artec QQD thingy into a couple guitars. It has a few settings, most of which are too subtle, but the overdrive distortion one is really noticable. I got my QDD off ebay for about $15. It uses a 9volt battery, so it might get crowded in there. One the second one I had to do some routering to make extra room. It has a straight through setting, and it's supposed to be powered off when you unplug your cord, or you can add a switch. (you can also change batteries every 3 months and just leave it on.) If you add a switch, also add an led, and get a multi throw switch so it can be a hardware bypass instead of selecting the bypass on the unit. That way you can leave it on distortion setting all the time and pretend you dont even own the lamer tones.
?What if I removed some diodes
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
?What if I removed some diodes

you would get a much louder pedal, which may or may not still be clipping.

to make a first act pedal sound decent, you'd basically have to rebuild it entirely...