What can i do to help my improvising skills? Any special exercises i should know about?
Scales, scales, scales, chord construction.

Others (by which I mean people who actually play guitar and im assuming thats what you play) might be able to help a little bit more. Im a bass man, but scales, chords, arpeggios. Those three are good starting points when learning to improvise.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Guide tones. Seriously, you can spam notes all day, but a well-constructed guide tone line is the best way to improvise.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
Guide tones. Seriously, you can spam notes all day, but a well-constructed guide tone line is the best way to improvise.

This is true, Im glad someone mentioned it... I figured I had implied it... I dont encourage speed over... well... music.

Quote by liampje
Find your melody... then the skill comes in by augmenting that. You could do as the guys above suggested by finding the guide tones. Or you could just "wing" it... In winging it, all you have to know is your key... but in your improv, you still need to go somewhere. If it sounds like mindless hustler reading... do it again. Continue redoing it until you are happy with it. After that, choose another backing or chord progression and wing some more over that. Good improv takes time, a lot of practice... and also a lot of dissing yourself.
Quote by vampirelazarus
This is true, Im glad someone mentioned it... I figured I had implied it... I dont encourage speed over... well... music.

Yeah agreed, but in saying that people like Pat Metheny and Charlie Parker (not that I can explain what 'people like them' means) are still able to rip out arpeggios etc at incredible speed, but manage to chart it all in the right direction because they're hitting the right guide tones at the right time.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
Yeah agreed, but in saying that people like Pat Metheny and Charlie Parker (not that I can explain what 'people like them' means) are still able to rip out arpeggios etc at incredible speed, but manage to chart it all in the right direction because they're hitting the right guide tones at the right time.

Yes. I agree. Like everyone else jj just sick of every guitar player where I'm from playing insanely fast and sounding like shit. Thats what I was getting at.

Quote by liampje
Work on scales. Work on triads. Learn the notes all over the fretboard. Train your ear constantly. Create melodies using scales and triads. learn arpeggio shapes all over the neck...I could go on and on. great improvising comes from making a connection between your ear, hands and guitar. This is only possible when you are working on these various areas.
Andy