As of this morning, my internet has been just getting slower and slower. Earlier I could barely get Firefox to open. I restarted my router/modem twice, still slow as ****.

I'm scanning with Malware Bytes right now, but so far it hasn't caught anything.

Help?
turn off utorrent.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
As of this morning, my internet has been just getting slower and slower. Earlier I could barely get Firefox to open. I restarted my router/modem twice, still slow as ****.

I'm scanning with Malware Bytes right now, but so far it hasn't caught anything.

Help?

There's your problem
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Yeah that's what I thought. So it's my computer then.

I can get everything else to run fine though, it's just my internet connection is bad.
Because apparently no-one else is going to properly explain this, I will have to.

When and ISP says that their service is unlimited, what they really mean is 'we want you to think it's unlimited so you won't mind paying more'. When you go over a certain amount of usage in any given month the ISP will either start systematically slowing your connection or it will brick wall the speed immediately.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Earlier I could barely get Firefox to open.

thats not your internet, thats your pc. go into run and type msconfig, disable any unnecessary crap (on startup) and give your pc a restart. then download ccleaner and cleanup any registry or tmp files you've got going. then to make sure you don't have any rouge processes going, download a copy of hijackthis:
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

copy and paste your log file here http://www.hijackthis.de/ and deal with any unwanted processes. also it wouldn't hurt to check the health/latency of your lan ports.

either that or it is your modem or provider.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Yeah that's what I thought. So it's my computer then.

I can get everything else to run fine though, it's just my internet connection is bad.

you just contradicted youself,

if its firefox, then its not your internet connection

if its your internet connection, then its not firefox
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I ran CCleaner, and I ran Hijack this. Malware Bytes, and Hijack this didn't pick up any infected items. CCleaner got rid of 2 gigs of junk and cleaned my registry. CCleaner is an amazing program. Thanks.

My internet is a little faster, idk what it was. Maybe a little of both my computer (5 year old Inspiron 1525) and my internet connection. But anyway thanks.
Ok scratch that, it's back to slow as balls again.

I just did Disk Clean up as well and it's STILL slow as balls! And it's not my computer either, because I can run FL Studio (DAW) fine, it's just whenever I try to open FF or IE, it takes 10 minutes to open if they do actually open and then it takes 10 more minutes to actually load a page.

It can't be me getting limited because the month just started... and I barely download anything as it is.
Last edited by ChadLikesGuitar at Jul 3, 2011,
It's from all that filthy dub you have been listening too, your computer can't handle it.
Quote by Casketcreep
Because apparently no-one else is going to properly explain this, I will have to.

When and ISP says that their service is unlimited, what they really mean is 'we want you to think it's unlimited so you won't mind paying more'. When you go over a certain amount of usage in any given month the ISP will either start systematically slowing your connection or it will brick wall the speed immediately.

Lol.

You're so wrong it's not even funny.

TS, try logging directly into your router to see if anyone is feeding off your utilization. If not, call your ISP and do some co-op testing. Also try and use a different computer to rule out all LAN problems.

Any problems, pm me.

Reference:

I work and manage a contact center for an ISP.

www.megapath.com

EDIT: Also, if you obtain service from Speakeasy or Covad, I can check your circuit. Or any other ISP, all I need is a circuit ID.
Last edited by Seth Shadows at Jul 3, 2011,
My ISP is Cox Communications. I'm about to call them and ask them what's going on, maybe it'll help. In the past they haven't done shit though.
Sounds like someone is using your service or your service is intermittently bouncing.

Also, Cable sucks. Fast speeds but reliability is crap.

Try opening command prompt. (Start > Run > type "cmd" > press "Enter")
Type "ping 4.2.2.2 -t" and leave it running all night.
In the morning when you wake up, press ctrl+c.
Right click on the CMD window Task bar, go to properties, enable quickedit mode.
Copy + paste the results to me. If you're experiencing 2%+ Packet loss, thats grounds to call your ISP and open a trouble ticket.
Have your MAC ID from the bottom of your cable modem, address and phone number handy.

EDIT: Also, they are a 24 hour operation. At least the number I call to open up TT's on behalf of customers anyway.
When I call it says Service Hours are closed bla bla bla.

Can I do the ping now? Or will it slow down my internet even more? Because I'm still doing something right now.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar

Can I do the ping now? Or will it slow down my internet even more? Because I'm still doing something right now.

No, 32 bytes of data per second will not slow down your cable line.

It won't even slow down a dialup line from the early 1990's.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar

the amount of bandwidth needed is minimal.
lately my internet has been dog slow.

Router was upgraded to latest version of dd-wrt firmware
cablemodem has no changable settings but has been reset several times.

No computer is downloading anything.

Youtube/Netflix are dog slow, even small videos.

I don't torrent tv shows, music, movies anymore. Not for a year at least

Getting pissed at cox. Gonna upgrade to a Dosis 3 modem. I'm paying for a 15mbit connection and getting less than 1
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
My ISP is Cox Communications. I'm about to call them and ask them what's going on, maybe it'll help. In the past they haven't done shit though.

Don't mess up.
Your over complicating a problem, if you worked for an ISP care center you'd know to work 'bottom to top'.

Depending on your ISP you may have been capped, your computer may be f'in up. Run a speedtest, and yeah...

Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
I'm seeing no packet loss at all in this ping. It's always 32 packets every 23 ms with a TTL of 57.

Underneath though, does it always go through with a ms number? Is there any timeouts?
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Last edited by JonnyH at Jul 4, 2011,
I reckon this is the doings of the government. Lock and load, it won't be long.

But seriously, this happens to me sometimes. It is very annoying
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Jul 4, 2011,