i just tried to apply for enrollment in an advanced diploma of music. Unfortunately i was told that i had to be of mature age. this sounded preposterous because im 18. but apparently where i am, mature age for enrollment is 20 years, and that got me thinking...

What age do you think a person should be in order to be considered mature. this applies for all situations, education, alcohol, conviction of criminal acts, consent (marriage) etc.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Jul 3, 2011,
I think you should be at least 16 before you're allowed to do crime

That was a swift edit
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
I think you should be at least 16 before you're allowed to do crime

That was a swift edit

19 for everything imho
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
18 for education and consent of marriage/sex, 21 for everything else. the legal age here for purchasing alcohol is 18, so im sure that will piss alot of people off
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Jul 3, 2011,
Mature enrollment usually means not straight out of school. So being 20 makes perfect sense.

As for age, I don't know, but it should be uniform. For example, here an adult is 18, and they can do whatever they want. In other places, an adult is 18 but you can't drink until 21. That makes no sense to me. You're either an adult or you aren't. Make it 18 OR 21, but not both at the same time.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jul 3, 2011,
At 18, I thought I was grown up. That was only two years ago, but I already see 18-year-olds as babies. You see a lot of shit in college.

Start with 21. Maturity only really sets in when you've got a real commitment on your hands - paying rent, working full time, etc.
Quote by blue_strat
At 18, I thought I was grown up. That was only two years ago, but I already see 18-year-olds as babies. You see a lot of shit in college.

Start with 21. Maturity only really sets in when you've got a real commitment on your hands - paying rent, working full time, etc.

I agree 100%.

At 24, I often look to my old 18 year old self and think a lot of the things I did were stupid. But in all honesty I even started thinking that at 21. Like he said above, you see a LOT of new things away at college. If not at school, you're definitely subject to a lot different of a world the older you get.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
I'd have to say 20 or 21 I guess. 18 seems a bit young to be allowed to purchase alcohol, at least where I live, anyway.
On average, ~25.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Age does not equal maturity. Responsibilities mature you.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by xkreedx
Age does not equal maturity. Responsibilities mature you.

this isn't about actually being mature, its about the legal title 'mature'.
I'll just say that it's really hilarious that in the USA, you can have a kid, sign up to shoot people for your country, drive a car and a bunch of other shit when you're 16 (or maybe 17 or 18 for some of that, it makes no difference), but you can't buy yourself a beer until you're 21. Such a bizarre way of prioritising things.

Anyway, I know people in their mid 20s who still live with their parents, aren't doing anything with their lives and spend all their time getting drunk with people who are like 17/18. So, age and maturity obviously aren't always directly related, but you're not going to find anyone very mature who isn't through with puberty.

If being an adult means assuming responsibility for yourself, it's hard to put a concrete limit on when you become an adult. I'm 18 and I feel pretty much the same as I did when I was 17. I'm moving out in a couple of months and that's going to change me more than my fucking 18th birthday.

I do think, though, that while there are some things only adults should do (military, raising kids), it's also ridiculous to do shit like shield teenagers from having a few beers, or force someone to pursue an academic path until a certain age, or stop 15/16 year olds having sex, etc.

In most of these cases you're not going to stop them, so it's better to educate them. If you try to outright prevent it from happening, you're both going to fail to stop them and create someone who doesn't know how to deal with alcohol/sex/whatever responsibly.

tl;dr no TS, this shit can not be applied to all situations
Quote by blue_strat

I wonder if you'll feel the same way at 25 about 21 year olds.
Quote by stratdud39
Why shouldn't the legal title 'mature' represent actual maturity?

because actual maturity is subjective. but with out a legal title a government has no definition between an adult and child. its merely a recommended average.
Here in Canada, the legal drinking age is just a suggestion.
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Quote by blue_strat

I thought this way about my 13/14 year old self when I was 16. I think this way about my 16 year old self now. I'll think like this about me now when I'm 20. When I'm 20-something I'll think my 20 year old self was immature. When I'm 80 I'll think my 70 year old self was too wild for his own good, etc, etc.
Quote by blindfatkid23
Here in Canada, the legal drinking age is just a suggestion.

LOL!
Quote by Marshmelllow
because actual maturity is subjective. but with out a legal title a government has no definition between an adult and child. its merely a recommended average.

Oh, I see your point..

Since it's just a recommended average, laws shouldn't be strict about the maturity age.
I haven't looked into this subject at all so I'm just talking out my ass.
I see what you're trying to get at, but I don't think there can really be a correlation of age and maturity level.

I'm 19 and I support myself all except for housing (Yes, I realize that's a huge part of "Growing up" and whatnot, but I still live with my grandfather for reasons beyond financial struggle). I consider myself mostly mature, simply because I grew up when I left high school (17).

I got myself a car, my guitar equipment, gas money, clothes, food, etc.. I pay for ALL that myself, and I do not have a job. maybe I'm just lucky but I get by with doing little jobs for people and whatnot.

In terms of a "legal" title for being mature.. I really have to say 18. A good percentage of my friends left to join the military, and a few are stationed in Korea. They handle guns, can take lives, do all the things that someone twice their age would be doing.. Yet cannot drink or whatever. Seems messed up to me.

Then again, I also know many people my age and even older who have just not grown up at all. They still act 12-13. Y'know what I mean, they're still going "Oh I HATE my parents! They're so mean!" and do not support themselves whatsoever.
16 to drive.
18 to be a legal adult.
19 to buy alcohol legally.

I'm fine with the way Canada has it.
I agree with Canadian law every time I see some kids do things (drink, etc.) underage, sometimes I think the age should be raised. They become such annoying assholes.
They're also immature.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
16 to drive.
18 to be a legal adult.
19 to buy alcohol legally.

I'm fine with the way Canada has it.
I agree with Canadian law every time I see some kids do things (drink, etc.) underage, sometimes I think the age should be raised. They become such annoying assholes.
They're also immature.

Kids will drink anyway. In most European countries it's accepted that people start to drink at about 15 or 16, and the people in those countries are far more mature about drinking alcohol than they are in the UK and in other countries where the drinking age is higher than normal.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Legally, 21, in reality, prolly not until 26 or even 30 years old. Kids are taking longer and longer to grow up, I'm no exception either.

It's because as a whole, society is lifting moral responsibility off itself. I almost wish I'd grown up a decade earlier, so that even if life was a bit harder...I'd be a better person for it. We're just getting lazy.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Kids will drink anyway. In most European countries it's accepted that people start to drink at about 15 or 16, and the people in those countries are far more mature about drinking alcohol than they are in the UK and in other countries where the drinking age is higher than normal.

I guess it is because the kids are exposed to the physical and psychological effects at a young age, so they know what it can do and act more mature about it.
I just happen to know a lot of people that are immature and drink underage.
Quote by captaincrunk
I wonder if you'll feel the same way at 25 about 21 year olds.

Probably, but fresh out of college > fresh out of school.

For things like age of consent and drinking, it would be ridiculous to set them at 21, because they're so easy to get around. But I would be happy for the driving age to be a few years higher. That's already partially enforced by insurance companies charging so much for young drivers.