First the story, cuz I'm boring like that. I got talking to my neighbour about guitars and he says "I have this weird old guitar and I dont know what it is and can't google any info on it." So he shows me and there are no markings on it except G.E.F. I've never seen anything like it but I can tell its old. Then a month later I see something about Jack White's Airline, and I think "That's It!". I told him I found out what he has and its worth something. A few weeks later he says he'll sell it, and I said I can't pay nearly what its worth. He says that's OK, and we make a deal for my Mann and some cash. As soon as I get it home, I try to figure out what year this one is, googling for identifiers.

Oh oh, its not an Airline! So what in the Halifax did I get? and is it still worth something? or did I get screwed?
Attachments:
GEF Bartolini 007t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 008t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 010t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 016t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 018t.JPG
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jul 3, 2011,
Well as soon as I gave up knowing what it was, I decided I should try it. It is dirty and has crappy old strings, a bit rusty and one has kinks in it. Plug it in, and no sound. Whatever, I was gonna open it anyways, right? So here's what's inside. Cool switch! The wiring that I can see looks good, and original. The pickups are screwed onto a steel plate, that's odd. Take the pups off the plate so I can see better, and - hey, these are humbuckers. Four little hums.
Attachments:
GEF Bartolini 025t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 026t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 027t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 029t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 030t.JPG
Hngd
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Try before you buy, always. Anyways that's a really cool looking guitar and I really hope you get it working. If you do then post a video of it, I would love to hear what it sounds like. HNGD
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
A couple more pix, and more story.
I see that someone has set the neck angle using cardboard for a shim. That's not quality acoustic design, eh?
So I cleaned that switch, removed a stray winding wire (!) from one pickup, half-way reassembeled it and got some sound. Two switch positions seem to be doing nothing, one is marked O so I figure that is Off. On second review, it seems one pickup might be dead. Bleah, well, lets see if that is related to that stray wire. Popped the cover off the one with the funky wire, Nope, looks good. Get the meter... the pickups all have resistance. I guess that's good. Reassemble again, hey, its better.
Attachments:
GEF Bartolini 032t.JPG
GEF Bartolini 028t.JPG
Im just taking a shot in the dark. But it has to be at least from the 50's. Other guitars in that time frame used the six button type control
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
So, its working, might as well make it presentable. Gave it all a good wash, reassembled, cleaned the fretboard, stripped some silly finish off the fretboard, sanded and polished fretboard, and gave it some new oil. (whew!) New strings and a setup for action (nice) and intonation (drat, not *quite* enough travel on the low strings). Here's clean pix, I dont know if you'll see that much difference.
Attachments:
GEF Bartolini 033t2.JPG
GEF Bartolini 035t2.JPG
GEF Bartolini 038t2.JPG
GEF Bartolini 040t2.JPG
GEF Bartolini 043t2.JPG
Good answer Blue, but I'm going with this one: http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/recanati-castelfidardo/bartolini/3r_red.html

It can be hard to identify some Italian guitars. Apparently the Italians were all copying from each other, all had the same supplier for many parts like pickups, bridges and tuners, all the companies got got and sold and merged and split, and they all supplied to dealers under many names.

My guess is the one I have is post '64, because of the deeper cutaway, but could have been made as late as '70, and was probably supplied to a US dealer to get the obsure G.E.F. logo.
It. Looked. So.... closeeeee....... And I thought I actually did something of use. haha

Nice find though!
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Well, so far I'm not in love with it.

Part of that might be cuz I thought I was getting a really good deal on an Airline, which I could use for bragging for a while, and when I got tired of that, I could make a profit. So it sucks that I didn't know what I was talking about, or maybe I'm confused that my memory of what his guitar looked like was so quickly contorted to what I wanted it to be.

Impressions:
My first impression, visually, was very positive. Buttons! Sparkles! Four pickups! Cool factor is high. Oddly, although I would not accept these features on a new guitar, on a vintage piece I think they work right.
My first playing impression, before I cleaned the fretboard, was that this was not a nice guitar to play, it was a bit of work, which I attributed to the rust and gluey stuff. Unfortunately, cleaning didnt help a lot. The setup did remove the buzz and what I thought was a high fret, so the playing was somewhat better, but it doesnt have a really smooth feel. Perhaps this will improve with some regular use.
Sound is interesting, but not exciting. It is rather loud unplugged, and has reasonable sustain. Its a brighter sound than I expected from old humbuckers, especially when on the two bridge pickups. (At least that is what I think is on the T switch). There does seem to be some multiplying happening when using all four pickups and some amp distortion. Someone should teach me the proper way to make a recording that is meaningful to you guys.
Well, even if it wasn't what you wanted, the guitar is at least somewhat interesting, happy NGD ^^
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Quote by Dpullam
That guitar looks awesome.

+1
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Guitarist in a local band picked up a very similar looking guitar (same amount of switches, same pickup layout) for 50 bucks at a yard sale, and after research found out it was worth somewhere near $2000 (AUD)

Also, looks very cool.
OK, so I this is my first try at sharing sounds. When you listen to these, try to focus on the tone of the guitar, cuz my playing probably wont impress you.
I did recordings two ways, with a mic in front of the amp, and with the amp's lineout plugged into the computer's mic jack. Then for comparison, I did some recordings with some other guitars, so that if my recording method was interfering with what you hear, maybe the same interference on the others would give you a better idea of what is happening in my room. Now I guess I should do them all again with a couple different amps?
So here's the first video, and I suppose youtube will help you find the others? or do I need to wait till all the uploads are finished and post all the other 9 links? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X5oaK0-_sA