Hi, I'll be living in a dorm next year, so I won't have very much space to store things. To give you an idea about size, I currently have a Line 6 Spider III (approx. 21"x9"x17"). Ideally I would like it to be about half the size of the Spider or smaller. I play metal, jazz, and blues so I'm looking for something that's fairly versatile. The tricky part (at least for me) is that I want something that's small, but could still be used to play small gigs. My price limit is around $250. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i have a 15w peavey vyper that i use in my dorm and it does the trick quite nicely. it sounds awesome, it's in your price range, and it's a small amp. check it out.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Look at the Roland micro cube rx. They are small and sound pretty good.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
What about Vox AmPlugs?
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
A Peavey Vypyr should do.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
You could get a pod hd and then run it to a pa for gigs. I fit my amp under my desk in my dorm last year. Where there's a will there's a way haha.
JCA20? I think the combo is about $250. The 22 might be around there as well
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by ikey_
how much are you trying to spend?

Under $250. I'm willing to go up to $350, but it needs to really be worth it.
Half the size of your Spider is pretty small. How about a ZR Lunchbox? It will do the Jazz & Blues, and with a pedal could do some metal. Interesting (and LOUD) little amp. I use one for easy portability when I'm just jamming with friends.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I would buy something in the vein of a POD HD...having worked for residential life at a major college, I'll tell you just about any size amp has the potential to piss someone off and get you into trouble.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i have a roland cube 30 which i play almost always with headphones just out of courteousness but i occasionally unplug and play quiet (its nice to have the option of both) and its just fine. ive had it for a little over 3 years and its been really good. theres a lot of different sounds that can be achieved just from the settings on top so its bound to give you whatever you need.
Quote by roamingbard13
I would buy something in the vein of a POD HD...having worked for residential life at a major college, I'll tell you just about any size amp has the potential to piss someone off and get you into trouble.

the peavey vyper has a headphone jack.

unless your dorm has certain "quiet hours", people can't complain about you making noise. that's how it works at my university.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I like the idea of getting a POD for dorm usage
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Add me to the POD bandwagon. I've got myself one already and I'll be using the headphones for when I need it to be quiet. If I'm able to have a little noise, I might run it out to my stereo. We'll see.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
a pod would work well except for when you want to play with friends and there isn't a PA.

i'd like to see someone try a bar gig with a amplug, that's funny.

a vypyr 30 is pretty small and a good all around modeler. so is the mustang or vox vt, cube etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
a pod would work well except for when you want to play with friends and there isn't a PA.

i'd like to see someone try a bar gig with a amplug, that's funny.

a vypyr 30 is pretty small and a good all around modeler. so is the mustang or vox vt, cube etc.

thats what i was thinking the whole time.

an amp with headphones would be a better option, because it weighs a hell of a lot less than an amplifier and pa moniter.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Currently using a POD in my apartment with headphones. I love it.

Although I am going to pick up a little Vox Valvetronix used here in a week or so for about $120. Just for the times when I don't feel like having headphones. Might be something for you to consider as well, they sound pretty solid for the price - but nothing amazing.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex