Hi, I'll be living in a dorm next year, so I won't have very much space to store things. To give you an idea about size, I currently have a Line 6 Spider III (approx. 21"x9"x17"). Ideally I would like it to be about half the size of the Spider or smaller. I play metal, jazz, and blues so I'm looking for something that's fairly versatile. The tricky part (at least for me) is that I want something that's small, but could still be used to play small gigs. My price limit is around $250. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i have a 15w peavey vyper that i use in my dorm and it does the trick quite nicely. it sounds awesome, it's in your price range, and it's a small amp. check it out.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Look at the Roland micro cube rx. They are small and sound pretty good.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
What about Vox AmPlugs?
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
A Peavey Vypyr should do.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
You could get a pod hd and then run it to a pa for gigs. I fit my amp under my desk in my dorm last year. Where there's a will there's a way haha.
JCA20? I think the combo is about $250. The 22 might be around there as well
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by ikey_
how much are you trying to spend?

Under $250. I'm willing to go up to $350, but it needs to really be worth it.
Half the size of your Spider is pretty small. How about a ZR Lunchbox? It will do the Jazz & Blues, and with a pedal could do some metal. Interesting (and LOUD) little amp. I use one for easy portability when I'm just jamming with friends.
Parker Fly Deluxe
Various Strats
Koch Studiotone XL
Koch Startrooper
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I would buy something in the vein of a POD HD...having worked for residential life at a major college, I'll tell you just about any size amp has the potential to piss someone off and get you into trouble.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i have a roland cube 30 which i play almost always with headphones just out of courteousness but i occasionally unplug and play quiet (its nice to have the option of both) and its just fine. ive had it for a little over 3 years and its been really good. theres a lot of different sounds that can be achieved just from the settings on top so its bound to give you whatever you need.
Quote by roamingbard13
I would buy something in the vein of a POD HD...having worked for residential life at a major college, I'll tell you just about any size amp has the potential to piss someone off and get you into trouble.

the peavey vyper has a headphone jack.

unless your dorm has certain "quiet hours", people can't complain about you making noise. that's how it works at my university.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I like the idea of getting a POD for dorm usage
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Add me to the POD bandwagon. I've got myself one already and I'll be using the headphones for when I need it to be quiet. If I'm able to have a little noise, I might run it out to my stereo. We'll see.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
a pod would work well except for when you want to play with friends and there isn't a PA.

i'd like to see someone try a bar gig with a amplug, that's funny.

a vypyr 30 is pretty small and a good all around modeler. so is the mustang or vox vt, cube etc.
Quote by gregs1020
a pod would work well except for when you want to play with friends and there isn't a PA.

i'd like to see someone try a bar gig with a amplug, that's funny.

a vypyr 30 is pretty small and a good all around modeler. so is the mustang or vox vt, cube etc.

thats what i was thinking the whole time.

an amp with headphones would be a better option, because it weighs a hell of a lot less than an amplifier and pa moniter.
Currently using a POD in my apartment with headphones. I love it.

Although I am going to pick up a little Vox Valvetronix used here in a week or so for about $120. Just for the times when I don't feel like having headphones. Might be something for you to consider as well, they sound pretty solid for the price - but nothing amazing.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex