Hey, I'm usually a bassist but i've also dabbled in acoustic guitar. And with both I find that press really hard on the strings and that this habit slows my playing a little. How can i best correct this and still have power and firmness in my notes?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Holy mother of crap that's huge text.

Try playing with light gauge strings, you'll eventually learn to press lighter to avoid changing the pitch.

lol sorry i was playing around with the options :/

alright sounds like it would work
You just have to get used to playing guitar as opposed to bass. They're shaped the same, but bass is a whole different mindset than guitar and the physical instrument is a lot different. Guitar strings are a lot lighter than bass strings, so you really need to get used to fretting just hard enough for the note to sound out cleanly and fluently without pushing down too hard. That just comes with practice.
A practice you can adopt is to fret any note - say, with your index finger to start off - whilst applying your usual level of pressure on the fret. Next, pick the fretted string at regular intervals, and gradually relieve excess effort applied with your finger whilst still fretting the note.
There'll come a point where buzz will occur due to a lack of necessary effort being used on the string, which is essentially the threshold for exactly how much ''pressure'' you'll need to use on a fret in order to produce a clean note; apply just that little bit more, and you'll have a clear indication of just how much (or how little) effort is needed to produce a note.
You can apply the same principle to each fingers, on each string and different areas of the fretboard to establish a better understanding of it, and also try it out on your bass guitar. Who knows? You may be using a little more effort than needed on the bass, too, and every bit of energy saved is a virtue.

Personally I just got strings that resist my heavy hands enough. When I first started my guitar teacher noticed how heavy handed I was where all my pull offs were more like bends haha. You can either try to be a bit lighter or do as I did and get some man strings instead of the girly 9's that many use :P
just practice songs and exercises slowly with a relaxed grip, not pressing hard, then as you speed up just focus on keeping it light.
---
Quote by ethan_hanus
Holy mother of crap that's huge text.

Try playing with light gauge strings, you'll eventually learn to press lighter to avoid changing the pitch.

hes a bassist, everything must be bigger.
Basically, you just need to teach yourself to fret correctly.

Play one note. If you're fretting too hard, relax a little more.

Play another note, repeat.

Repeat the previous steps however slowly you have to until it's second nature.