So I was trying to find some really creepy and scarey riffs for a song and its in Fminor. So, I saw somewhere when you take a Fminor and I IV V it. Then, I IV V those you should get some notes that sound good with Fminor. So, I played around with it and it sounds really good. I'm pretty sure i got this right, but would stiff like a confirmation. Oh, and if you have any other tips for some really creepy and scarey riffs I would love to know!
I'm not quite sure what you're asking...

As far as creepiness goes, chromatic playing can sound very creepy, as do diminished fifths.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Play a G diminished scale and screw around with that. It's still in Fminor but you can make odd 'creepy' intervals.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You take the first interval of a first? I dont understand...

The other two what he/she is saying is you take the fourth of the fourth.

Same as the fifth.

But how do you I a I chord???

Chromatics work well. So do diminshed fifths... I actually wrote a funk bass line using diminshed fifths the other day, kinda sounded like a mirrorthrone you could dance to...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Nottachance
So I was trying to find some really creepy and scarey riffs for a song and its in Fminor. So, I saw somewhere when you take a Fminor and I IV V it. Then, I IV V those you should get some notes that sound good with Fminor. So, I played around with it and it sounds really good. I'm pretty sure i got this right, but would stiff like a confirmation. Oh, and if you have any other tips for some really creepy and scarey riffs I would love to know!

F minor creepy? OK, I guess if you played it somehow and it sounds creepy... If you played it right, you should have F min, Bbmin and C7 or Cm...

It's common in Minor blues. The C7 is the V from Harmonic Minor.

Best,

Sean
Ok so im sorry if I didnt make sense so what i did was take a Fm triad. Now the IV is an A# and the V is a C. So, I did the same with A#. The IV is D# and the V is F. Lastly I did the same with the C. So, the IV is F and the V is G.

So in the end Fm works well with: A#m, Cm, D#m, Gm.

I hope this clears things up.
Quote by Nottachance
Ok so im sorry if I didnt make sense so what i did was take a Fm triad. Now the IV is an A# and the V is a C. So, I did the same with A#. The IV is D# and the V is F. Lastly I did the same with the C. So, the IV is F and the V is G.

Ok, now im lost...

(oh, and in F minor, we call it a Bb, the only A in F minor is Ab) <----- Those are the note names. The chords would be Ab and Bbm
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Last edited by vampirelazarus at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by Nottachance

Bbm and Ebmaj. A# and D# aren't involved.

i get what you're saying here. i get what you're doing. the real question is this: how does this help you? how are you going to use this?

there are no certain progressions nor notes that sound creepy. it's all about the way you use them. i can take one progression, play it on a guitar, and it'll sound melancholy. i can take that same progression and orchestrate it -- and it'll sound terrifying.

if you think of things as a whole and don't limit yourself, you'll find it's easier to do things like this.

best course of action for now: find music you think is creepy, transcribe it, and see whether you can apply what you've transcribed.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by thePTOD
Play a G diminished scale and screw around with that. It's still in Fminor but you can make odd 'creepy' intervals.

Pray tell what the notes are of the G diminished scale, and then arrange it starting and ending on F (where the song resolves to), then describe what the new scale is.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Nottachance

Yeah, are you fine with being technically incorrect with your knowledge, while functionally having an "out" with the statement "works well"?

Best,

Sean