What do you guys use and why? I'm currently working on an album for a Summer Project, but I'm thinkin about buying some new software for mixing and recording multiple tracks. Right now I'm using Audacity, but it is limited. I'm thinking about buying some software from CakeWalk. Mostly, my biggest need is a "Beat Finder" or something like that so I can perfectly match up Guitar and drum tracks. Pro Tools is not an option because..... its like hundreds of dollars. What do you guys use? Would you have any suggestions?
ProTools isn't worth the money anyway IMO. Unless you buy their hardware, the software might as well be freeware for all the good it does. You can spend half the amount and get the same quality, without the need for a 6k interface.
Get Cubase or Sonar. Both easy and very good.
I've heard good about cubase. Also there seems to be endless tutorials and support for it online, from what I've seen.
Is it standard for most of these low end, mid range softwares to have some sort of "beat finder"? that is the most important part for me. As of right now, all my tracks on my songs are slightly off by milliseconds. Because I have to eye ball it when I zoom in and line up tracks.
Quote by toothless tim
Is it standard for most of these low end, mid range softwares to have some sort of "beat finder"? that is the most important part for me. As of right now, all my tracks on my songs are slightly off by milliseconds. Because I have to eye ball it when I zoom in and line up tracks.

You mean quantize?
Like with MIDI, you have a tempo grid with each beats in the bar like
|---|---|---| etc and quantization snaps your music to that so it keeps it in beat.
Quote by toothless tim
Whats quantize?

force MIDI notes onto exact beats.

I personally adore Cubase. I tried Reaper, but it seemed like a step backwards from Cubase, and it's only about 92€ or something (even cheaper for students).
Is it a latency problem?

I used to have huge latency issues when I used shitty programs like Audacity, which mostly went away when I started using REAPER. Maybe try downloading it and see if it helps? Otherwise it might be your sound card or recording interface, or I might be wrong about it being latency.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Oh god i want to say pro tools so bad
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
What is Cubase? A company? Im looking for stuff between $30-$80. I dont record directly into my computer, I mic up my amp. Is it usually better to plug in directly to the PC if you are recording?
You're not going to get good software for that price by any legal means. Reaper is fully featured and almost freeware. You're going to need an audio interface as well, which I believe there is a guide to in the Riffs and Recordings forum.
Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom > Laney TF300
Quote by toothless tim
What is Cubase? A company? Im looking for stuff between $30-$80. I dont record directly into my computer, I mic up my amp. Is it usually better to plug in directly to the PC if you are recording?

It matters, You can plug in through a standard audio interface and use Amp modelling software, You can plug your guitar into a guitar orianted interface like the line 6 X3 and then you have the choice of reamping through an amp at a more convenient time or just go thorugh the mic. It depends on your preference/what your recording.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by toothless tim
What would be some good software for $30-$80?

Technically a Reaper license is $60, but you can use it for free with no restrictions.
Cubase would probably be the best bet.

Pro Tools is great, but it is quite expensive, and it does have a pretty steep learning curve.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by ctfod
Cubase would probably be the best bet.

Pro Tools is great, but it is quite expensive, and it does have a pretty steep learning curve.

Actually I think Pro Tools has the most intuitive interface of all the DAWs I've used. Having said that, Avid are horrible, and I wish Cubase was the industry standard.
Quote by toothless tim

How are you getting it from the mic to the computer though? You shouldn't need to mess about what you've recorded to get it in time with everything else.

Also, I'll second Reaper. I don't think there's anything it can't do that Cubase or Protools or whatever can.
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding

Also, I'll second Reaper. I don't think there's anything it can't do that Cubase or Protools or whatever can.

Protools (in particular the hd one) is so much more indepth.
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by cliff_em_all
Protools (in particular the hd one) is so much more indepth.

Probably a bad example, I've never used Protools properly. What's something it can do that Reaper can't?
Quote by whalepudding
Probably a bad example, I've never used Protools properly. What's something it can do that Reaper can't?

No latency. However the price difference is HUUUUUUUGE
Quote by ZanasCross

The main difference between high end DAWs and freeware like Reaper (though really it shouldn't be classed as freeware) is the hardware you get with it (Avid 16x16 boxes for ProTools) or the sheer volume of plugins and FXs you get with the software.
ProTools M powered and Cubase 6 full version come with more than I've been able to fully explore over several years.