Page 1 of 3
I wont even look at the link to say that I hate the concept of patriotism.

....the world was round last time I checked.

(Bill Hicks, RIP)
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
-Shaw

But there's nothing wrong with loving your country
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I wont even look at the link to say that I hate the concept of patriotism.

....the world was round last time I checked.

(Bill Hicks, RIP)

I think it's fine to love the culture you've grown up in, but when you use that love for the culture you grew up in to justify xenophobia and/or racism that's when you're in the wrong.

I love being an American, but I also recognize other people love their country as much or more than I love mine, and I respect that. The great thing about being American is that everyone's an immigrant, I just wish more people would realize that.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by due 07
Any patriotism is taking it too far.

patriotism =/= nationalism

Also, this thread isn't political. Complain elsewhere.
Check out my band Disturbed
Patriotism is only acceptable if you're an immigrant.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by trueamerican
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
-Shaw

But there's nothing wrong with loving your country
I think loving your country more than others is silly. Not the government, but the country itself (and people in it).

Quote by StewieSwan
patriotism =/= nationalism
I know.

Quote by StewieSwan
Also, this thread isn't political. Complain elsewhere.
You just involved yourself in my statement, then a few linebreaks later you say the thread isn't political? You are a very silly man.

Nothing wrong with being patriotic, Nationalism is taking it too far. It seems like most pseudointellectual liberal kids on the interwebz confuse patriotism with nationalism
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
really, aside from the flags i didn't see anything patriotic about the video
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Nothing wrong with being patriotic, Nationalism is taking it too far. It seems like most pseudointellectual liberal kids on the interwebz confuse patriotism with nationalism
Nothing wrong with loving your country, but it usually comes attached with a feeling of national superiority and borderline racial-chauvinism.

I didn't enjoy the video, by the way. I thought it was a crude, unfunny attempt at humor. Kind of gross, too. Just my opinion, brahs.
Why is anyone taking the video seriously? And christ, can't you just view patriotism as "being happy to live where you do"?

Nationalism is a dangerous state of mind, and patriotism much easier to take some participation in without even have any political connotations.
Quote by due 07
Nothing wrong with loving your country, but it usually comes attached with a feeling of national superiority and borderline racial-chauvinism.

you're thinking nationalism
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

No. He's thinking about jingoism.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I am aware of the differences between patriotism and nationalism.

It's obviously not equatable with nationalism, and I am being a bit hyperbolic.

POINT STANDS, DGAF.
Quote by due 07
I am aware of the differences between patriotism and nationalism.

It's obviously not equatable with nationalism, and I am being a bit hyperbolic.

POINT STANDS, DGAF.

sounds like an understatement
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
BTW **** all your shit

It;s America's birthday! (But not really because the final draft of the decclaration was actually signed and dated at a different time and date apparently)
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
still not patrotism

The problem is there are people who will accuse you of being un-patriotic if you don't hold a sense of nationalism. I have met some.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gigger
I don't really think that video was meant to be patriotic.
No shit.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
sounds like an understatement
That video was stupid.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The problem is their are people who will accuse you of being un-patriotic if you don't hold a sense of nationalism. I have met some.

that's there problem, not mine. I've also met people who think you're unpatriotic if you're not an overtly obsessive fan of the local favorite football team (college or pro).
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Jul 4, 2011,
Stupid video.

I don't like nationalism or patriotism. Mild patriotism is fine, when it's just that "I'm fine where I'm at and I want to contribute" attitude, but the "America is the shining city on the hill" attitude pisses me off (no matter where it's from, I just used America ss an example).
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
that's there problem, not mine. I've also met people who think you're unpatriotic if you're not an overtly obsessive fan of the local favorite football team (college or pro).

GRAMMATICAL ERROR!

...everything you are arguing or have ever argued is now bunk.

But seriously. How is this video being seen as overly patriotic? It's not even serious
Yeah or you're unamerican/communist/terrorist if you dislike anything stereotypical american. Those are jokes most of the time though.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I'm not a fan of patriotism either, due.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by due 07

I didn't enjoy the video, by the way. I thought it was a crude, unfunny attempt at humor. Kind of gross, too. Just my opinion, brahs.

I don't believe so. I love America. I am usually proud to be an American, but I don't have a blind attachment to it or think it's better than everyone just because I'm a resident. I do think we do a lot of things right (better than most), but we seem to be doing a lot more things wrong. I have no problems admitting that other countries do things better.

And the video was just offensive to everyone. I thought it was a white trash, ill-conceived attempt at being the next Larry the Cable Guy (real aspiration right there...). I have a love for hunting, firearms, and I have a general disapproval of liberals, but goodness that was just awful to sit through. I honestly feel like anyone, no matter their political beliefs, nationality, or ethnicity, should be offended by that. lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
I don't believe so. I love America. I am usually proud to be an American, but I don't have a blind attachment to it or think it's better than everyone just because I'm a resident. I do think we do a lot of things right (better than most), but we seem to be doing a lot more things wrong. I have no problems admitting that other countries do things better.
I don't know. I just don't see why I should be proud of something as arbitrary as what landmass I was born on, or what constituency I belong to.
I have a greater reason to hate patriotism. It's simple: I hate the American government so I hate the love of it as well. Makes perfect sense! But I wouldn't hold a sinner to the sin.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
It's simple: I hate the American government so I hate the love of it as well. Makes perfect sense!
This too.

But I don't like patriotism of any country, because we've got to be thinking internationally, people!
Quote by due 07
I don't know. I just don't see why I should be proud of something as arbitrary as what landmass I was born on, or what constituency I belong to.

I agree, but at the same time, I have some sort of attachement to it. Not that I feel like I owe it anything, but just the fact that it's my birthplace gives it a special meaning to me. Not a feeling of superiority, mind you. Just a special meaning. Like your parents. You have a certain love for them, but logically, you wouldn't say that they're the best people in the world. Just that you hold them to a special importance for what they are.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I agree, but at the same time, I have some sort of attachement to it. Not that I feel like I owe it anything, but just the fact that it's my birthplace gives it a special meaning to me. Not a feeling of superiority, mind you. Just a special meaning. Like your parents. You have a certain love for them, but logically, you wouldn't say that they're the best people in the world. Just that you hold them to a special importance for what they are.
I love my parents for their parenting, personalities, and all that good stuff. Not because they birthed me.
Page 1 of 3