Hey guys, if you were in my shoes what would you do...
Im 16, vocalist/guitarist.
Own 2 amps *shitty berihnger, VOX AC30VR*
Own 2 electrics *Epiphone and Fender Jazz*
Own 1 quality acoustic *Yamaha*
Own 4 pedals *fuzz, modulation (chorus flkanger etc), delay and wah*
Now here is the question;
$1000 Budget (Can Go Higher) to buy a mic for singing an d guitar say .SM57, and an interface
And what interface should i get for just a solo artist *only need 2 input options (Mic, guitar)*
Im running a Windows computer etc
I'm willing to eBay, I live in Australia.
Thanks, please reply
Last edited by Bloodavian at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
New amp

I'm happy with my amp its got a great clean tone and overdrive
I think you'll get the "you need a new amp" response no matter what question you ask.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
why did you bother ask us then?

read the whole thing Cun+
Quote by Bloodavian

thats going to get you a lot of respect around here. as well as a lot of helpful answers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Bloodavian
Hey guys, if you were in my shoes what would you do...
Im 16, vocalist/guitarist.
Own 2 amps *shitty berihnger, VOX AC30VR*
Own 2 electrics *Epiphone and Fender Jazz*
Own 1 quality acoustic *Yamaha*
Own 4 pedals *fuzz, modulation (chorus flkanger etc), delay and wah*
Now here is the question;
Should I buy 2 pedals now *overdrive and octave*
OR
Should I save extra money (I earn $125 a week, keep that in mind) to buy a SM57, and an interface?
And what interface should i get for just a solo artist *only need 2 input options (Mic, guitar)*
Im running a Windows computer etc
I'm willing to eBay, I live in Australia.
Thanks, please reply

Well, do you perform or just home recordings?? If its home recordings save up for the SM57. You didn't give us alot of options.....

And for your first option, how often will you use an octave pedal? seriously
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
what is your current mic? i think sm57's suck, so if i were you i'd wait till i could afford a mid end microphone
Hey guys thanks for the reply, at the moment im only play acoustic gigs, so id figure a Mic at home would be good because I want to record an EP to sell.
I dont have a microphone at the moment, and I guess the octave pedal is pretty much a gimmick....
so what mics do you prefer? I hope to record my EP in September (I do know how to use mics and software, i do a technical production course in school) so by September I should have earnt about $1000
so lets say budget is 1000
just get the SM57 with the m-audio fast track pro and use it with like guitar rig 4 on pro tools or cubase and u should be more than fine
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Bloodavian

I thought you referred to the VOX as shitty, alongside the behringer amp.

I personally would prefer an amp more expensive than recording equipment, but that is your choice.

Lastly, treating people like that, will get you a lot of hate really fast.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thats going to get you a lot of respect around here. as well as a lot of helpful answers.

He signed up before you bro.

Just adding my 0.02 AUD.

Do you really need an octave pedal though? They aren't really that handy to have around. Like you said, you're happy with the overdrive on the amp so the most logical answer would be to get the SM57 + Interface.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy

Just adding my 0.02 AUD.

Do you really need an octave pedal though? They aren't really that handy to have around. Like you said, you're happy with the overdrive on the amp so the most logical answer would be to get the SM57 + Interface.

Yeha i think i was thinking in the moment lol...
so looks like Sm57 and some interface.!>!>!>!?!>
Quote by Mopy

Just adding my 0.02 AUD.

point being? he doesn't have a few hundred posts, i am sure i am well over a thousand, with none being condescending toward other forum members.

my point being simply, you are not going to get good answers or respect. if you are being a jerk, and defaming other members.

i am respectful, and people treat me with respect.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Bloodavian
Hey guys thanks for the reply, at the moment im only play acoustic gigs, so id figure a Mic at home would be good because I want to record an EP to sell.
I dont have a microphone at the moment, and I guess the octave pedal is pretty much a gimmick....
so what mics do you prefer? I hope to record my EP in September (I do know how to use mics and software, i do a technical production course in school) so by September I should have earnt about $1000
so lets say budget is 1000

honestly, i preffer mxl mics, with this one being what i would recommend. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-9000-tube-condenser-microphone/273176000000000

honestly, shure is ok. but i've never used a shure mic where i've said "wow, this is better than _____

i always pick up akg mics and mxl pics and say "wow this works so much better than the shure ____"

here, try this link, these are all good mics, granted, when i say good, i mean generally better than the sm57. yes, there are sure mics better than these, but they also cost alot more.
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Lastly, treating people like that, will get you a lot of hate really fast.

The term he used is practically a term of endearment these days among young Brits. You should spend some time on UK based forums to really understand the usage of the term over there. Over here, on the other hand, it's still considered offensive. Don't be too quick to judge, though.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
The term he used is practically a term of endearment these days among young Brits. You should spend some time on UK based forums to really understand the usage of the term over there. Over here, on the other hand, it's still considered offensive. Don't be too quick to judge, though.

Ehh, I wasn't aware of that. Funny how that works I guess.

But it didn't seem like he was trying to be nice about it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
those pedals wont really do much for you. octave....ehh money better spent. OD, well you have solid state amps. its just not the same.

57s are fine for 99% of people. and of course that mxl mic is better, its 2x the price. jesus. besides 57s are pretty darn reliable and get the job done.

however, it is not a condenser mic and that is a big difference. completely different functions.
If recording is the goal, an interface with good preamps/converters will be the best investment. I would suggest an Apogee Duet if on a budget. You won't do better without spending huge $. That will allow the recording of the guitar direct to a DAW program, such as Reaper, etc. The amp simulations available once "in the box" are quite amazing these days. The need to record a high $ amp cabinet with an equally high $ ribbon mike just isn't there anymore for the home user. For vocals, the 57 isn't the best choice. It works well for recording guitars, but you will need to try some different mikes for your voice.

For recording at home, you also don't need to record everything at once. Your guitar can be done separately from vocals. An Apogee One will work for that. Go with the best you can afford, and you won't be sorry later.

edit: Both of these work flawlessly with a Mac. I honestly don't know if they will work at all with Windows. You'll have to research before buying anything anyway.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jul 4, 2011,
thanks for the advice,
I just recorded at my friends house on the MXL 9000, so it must be pretty good (Vocals and Acoustic)
So the aim is, Good interface, and what makes a good interface? when you discuss amp models etc etc,, isnt that just the software you buy (i.e. ProTools, Reaper)??
Yes, the amp models are in software, like Guitar Rig. Even Garageband has some decent stuff in it. The quality of the interface will be determined by the preamp(s) in it. If you want, you could spend some time reading the Low End Theory section of Gearslutz.com. The "which interface" question has been asked many, many times there. Read and research as much as you can first. Start with the capabilities of your computer, then go for the interface and software. Good luck.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Bloodavian

Honestly, you could have responded much more maturely by saying something like "could you please reread the OP, it was stated there".

Theres no need for that. People are trying to be helpful.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!