Page 1 of 2
I'm a huge fan of concept albums because they bring more to the table then just clever songwriting and lyrics. They tell a story and establish a mindset for the listener, which makes each concept album a unique experience. What is your take on them UG? Any favorites?
Referring to your picture, every Coheed & Cambria album is great. Several Opeth albums are concept albums and all are great. I love concept records.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
The Dear Hunter Acts albums. Act I, II, and III are all fantastic.

Defeater Travels, and Empty Days and Sleepless Nights
Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade

Those are my favorites, anyways.
Any Floyd
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Talking Heads' More Songs About Buildings and Food is a concept album about buildings and food.
Metropolis Part 2 is a good one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I love concept albums. I think my favorite, besides all Coheed albums, is El Cielo by Dredg.

Quote by blake1221
The Dear Hunter Acts albums. Act I, II, and III are all fantastic.

Their new album is fucking brilliant.
Quote by blake1221
Defeater Travels, and Empty Days and Sleepless Nights
Backed; I like these.
Don't know how you guys might feel about this one but Deltron 3030 (self-titled) is an amazing rap album set in the year 3030. Don't let the fact that it's rap fool you. I'm not a big rap fan but this album gets regular play from me. Listen to "Battlesong" or "Madness" to get a small preview.
It was a graveyard smash.
Opeth - Still Life

EDIT: ^YES. SO MUCH YES.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't really understand why people don't like concept albums. What's not to like?

Quote by kristjantomasso
Kezia, still my fav Protest the Hero album to date.

Also, this. Kezia is brilliant, moving, insightful, and very well written. Mad props to Arif.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 4, 2011,
Coheed's are the best. After them, Blood Mountain and Fortress are my favorites.

EDIT: And Colors. Definitely Colors.
Last edited by goest at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't really understand why people don't like concept albums. What's not to like?
Unless they're done right, they can come off as very pretentious and self-indulged to me. There's only a few that I like, the vast majority I've heard haven't been pleasing to me.
Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" is one of the best albums I've heard in my entire life.

Septic Flesh's "The Great Mass" also gets an honorable mention, my pick for best Metal album of 2011.
Crack the Skye, Leviathan, Fortress, Colors(kind of), The Great Misdirect, Kezia, Funeral, The Parallax, Good Apollo volume I. Those are my favorites that I can think of right now.

It depends on how strictly you want to define concept albums.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jul 4, 2011,
Srs time:
Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Brian Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane over the Sea

Those are all sort of loose concept albums, like they don't tell a story or anything, but they have concepts, and they're all great records, yo. tr00 story.
Ayreon anyone? The King of concept albums?

All his albums are one big concept album!
Quote by Empty Duck
Ayreon anyone? The King of concept albums?

All his albums are one big concept album!

Yeah, definitely. When I hear 'concept album' I think Ayreon. I go through a lot of phases with music but I can always come back to any of the albums and zone out. I think Into the Electric Castle is and has been my favourite for a while now but they're all worth their length in gold.
Only as strictly as the band defines their work conceptually. After that it comes down to how much of the story you take from the music. I mean some concept albums are very straight forward and tell you the details. Others are very broad of a concept but ultimately make you think harder for your own interpretation.
Quote by soulflyV
Yeah, definitely. When I hear 'concept album' I think Ayreon. I go through a lot of phases with music but I can always come back to any of the albums and zone out. I think Into the Electric Castle is and has been my favourite for a while now but they're all worth their length in gold.

Indeed, I've only heard The Human Equation but I love it so much... planning to find time to sit down and have a serious listen to the other stuff :P
Oh, I forgot The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. That's definitely one of my favorite albums.
Well then I second In the Aeroplane and Ziggy, as well as offer Transatlanticism, A Love Supreme (about God love, although there are really no lyrics), Give Up (All songs sharing a common theme and sort of progressing in a way), Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, Traced In Air, and maybe more in a minute.

EDIT: Pink Moon (very loosely conceptual), Soon Come (sort of), The Color Spectrum (each EP represents a different color), Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Tallahassee (basically entirely about a breaking relationship between two spiteful people), Carving Desert Canyons (each song represents a certain climate/place on Earth), Hemispheres, Kid A, aaaand I just basically named my favorite albums regardless of cocept. Sorry
Last edited by D&DLover at Jul 4, 2011,
I love Phantom on the Horizon by The Fall of Troy, and Crack the Skye of course. I'll be checking out a few others in this thread, concept albums are awesome

I listened through Colors a couple of times, I'll probably try it again at some point, but it came off as very pretentious overall, imo.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Leviathan and Crack The Skye by Mastodon, and Deloused in The Comatorium and Frances the Mute by Mars Volta.

Delicious nuggets of audio awesome.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quadrophenia is one of the greatest albums ever written.

I would also suggest, one of the most unknown jems ever released, "Black Ribbons" by Shooter Jennings & Hirophant. Amazing, amazing stuff
Quote by devourke
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well Taz is just full retard
I think you'll find that the more acceptable term is "australian"

Funniest Exchange i've read on UG

I would have consensual relations with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Call me Dean or Vill
Rush-2112,Hemispheres

On a side note, i just got back from there last show of the tour.4th row FTW!
Stam1na - Viimeinen Atlantis

A huge fan of it, the lyrics are basically about how we are destroying the planet and dieing because of our own crap in the end.

But oh well, you wont get anything out of it cause its finnish...
Check out Greendale by Neil Young. I like it. The song Double E is genius.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I've been playing Animals- Pink Floyd in my car for the past few days.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Page 1 of 2