I have been searching around for an alternative to an Epi Les Paul (tried an Epi Les Paul and couldn't get the sound I was hoping for, very disappointed) when I came across this. Can't find any reviews online! If anyone has any experience or opinion of this guitar or any other alternatives it would be much appreciated!
What sound were you hoping for? Les Pauls will have the same basic tone with minor differences. Maybe you just don't like Les Pauls or you weren't playing through the right amps.
Perhaps I didnt quite word that right. I think I'm a little jaded after playing a friends Gibson obviously the Epi wasn't even close and I really can't justify the price of a Gibson (especially not to the wife). I suppose I'm looking for the same 2 hb set up but less pricey and isn't an Epiphone!
You should try a PRS SE single cut, I chose one after also not being wowed by the Epiphone Les Paul. I would never go back now. You could also try an Ibanez ART or even a Cort if you are fancying something cheaper but still very good.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Buy an Epi and change the pickups? I bet if you can describe the sound you want there are a few people who will tell you how much money to spend on pickups.
^ What he said.

Just get an Epi and put some P-90s in it or something. I've had an epi for years and for the price its an excellent guitar, it just needs some better pickups than the stock ones.
Be careful with upgrading pickups. I spent 200+ on Dirty Fingers for my G-400 because I loved how the Gibson RD sounded. The Epi never held a candle to it. It hasn't been played much since I upgraded since my other guitars still sound far better. Upgrading pickups can be a waste if you don't get what you're looking for. You can't improve the wood on a guitar.
The chunky low bottom end I was hoping for just really didn't show with the Epi. I have made the pickup swap mistake before! I'm about to board a plane to Madrid for 2 weeks so I will keep checking here.
Did you only try one? Cause I've played some shit-tastic Gibsons and some great Epiphones (I, personally, love my Epi Les Paul Classic) and I think a lot of it comes down to finding the "right one." Every guitar is a little different, you're bound to find a quality Epi if you look around a little more.
Quote by Paul616
The chunky low bottom end I was hoping for just really didn't show with the Epi. I have made the pickup swap mistake before! I'm about to board a plane to Madrid for 2 weeks so I will keep checking here.

A chunky bottom end comes from the amp. That may be the problem.
Vox ac4tv, I own one and played the Gibson on it and requested to use the shops when I tried the Epi's. I tried most of the range from the special right up to the standard.
You don't get Gibson quality if you don't pay for Gibson quality. Common logic here. You can't really shortcut when it comes to tone.

Obviously there are some exceptions, but for the most part, you get what you pay for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Though it may not have a the feel and the tone of a LP but a ESP Eclipse is a nice alternative.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by musicmanstinger
You should try a PRS SE single cut, I chose one after also not being wowed by the Epiphone Les Paul. I would never go back now. You could also try an Ibanez ART or even a Cort if you are fancying something cheaper but still very good.

+1 on the PRS they're really nice in that chunky neck kind of way.

Normally I'm more into thinner necks and whammy bars. Every now and then I'll grab my friends SE single cut. Then I'll start thinking maybe I can find one of these at a good price on the used market.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by JELIFISH19
Be careful with upgrading pickups. I spent 200+ on Dirty Fingers for my G-400 because I loved how the Gibson RD sounded. The Epi never held a candle to it. It hasn't been played much since I upgraded since my other guitars still sound far better. Upgrading pickups can be a waste if you don't get what you're looking for. You can't improve the wood on a guitar.

Well unfortunately Dirty Fingers pickups are not that good and way over priced. When upgrading you need to take into account the type of body wood, neck wood, guitar thickness. You don't put a puckup with subdued hi's in a mahogany guitar (99% of the time) because it will sound like muddy crap. But the same goes for a bright (maple, Alder, Basswood) you don't stick a realy bright p/u in them normaly. When you changed the p/u's out did you swap the electronics also? Because that is another problem people make is keeping crap electronics. I have a Duncan SH-4 in the bridge of my G-400 and it sounds better than any Gibson SG i have played and thats a fact.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's not a fact, that's an opinion. Christ.

But dude's correct, just sticking in the same pickups won't make guitars sound the same. But for OP's purposes a pickup swap could be fine though there are other guitars inbetween Epis and Gibsons.

Try looking at Edwards guitars. Their basic parts get milled in China, go through QC in Japan and are then assembled and finished off in Japan. You get much more consistent quality than any Epi or Agile but the price isn't quite as high as a full MIJ or MIA guitar is. Some of them even have their clear coats done in nitro so you get that same smell, feel and thin skin of a more expensive guitar but the base coats are still done in poly so they're a little tougher and cheaper to do. An Edwards guitar with the right pickups can sound just like the regular Gibson LP Standards. It won't compete with a vintage guitar or a custom shop model or a custom build from a private maker but for off-the-shelf and for less than a regular Gibson they're as good as you can get. Most of them come with good stock pickups anyway, usually Seymour Duncans.
Whats your budget? For the price around a epi lp standard, there isn't much better. You can try agile or vintage les pauls, but theyre more and less the same thing at the end of the day. If you want better tone you'll need to spend time finding the right one that speaks to you. I suggest trying to pick up an elitist. They usually hover around 700-900 on ebay. Its a very solid guitar made in japan with US electronics/pickups and african mahogany wood. These are widely considered better than the lower end Gibson models. My brother's friend has one and I tried it, I've sold my epi standard and been looking for an elitist ever since
Chunky low end? Ok, Get a 7 string, a better amp, and an EQ pedal. You're not stuck with Les Pauls for chunky low end, it greatly depends on the amp and EQ, the wood in the guitar, and the pickups. There's a lot of BS out there about Les Pauls having a heavier sound than other guitars.
I've felt the exact same way as you, man, I wanted an SG, tried out a G400 after hearing they were all that, and honestly I haven't played a worse guitar for $450, it was like playing a mud brick;heavy, didn't feel right at all and was muddy, muddy, MUDDY. xD I ended up with a Vintage VS6, which was a little cheaper, and blew the Epi away too. Vintage has some LPs, the V100s, and I really liked the two I played(there was one in tobaccoburst with gold hardware at the shop I got my Schecter from and if I didn't want a trem so bad I'd have got it). Check out Vintage for sure, and Ibanez's ART series too. I've noodled with two of my friends' ARTs(a GART of some sort and an ART100)and they seemed really nicely-made and sounded great, the ART100 had the best harmonics I've heard from a cheap guitar TBH(though I think that mighta been his pedal, he has a MXR Fullbore Metal which is also quite insane IMO).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Offworld92
You don't get Gibson quality if you don't pay for Gibson quality. Common logic here. You can't really shortcut when it comes to tone.

Obviously there are some exceptions, but for the most part, you get what you pay for.

+1
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi