I know, I've made a thread about one year ago, and even two years ago, about getting a new guitar and eventually never went and bought one. But now I'll actually have the money, since I'll be getting 500 euros from my grandma for my graduation.

Now, first things first, I prefer playability over sound. Of course, the guitar should sound good, but it's more important to me that it's comfortable to play. For example, my guitar sounds pretty good for a cheap-ass 100 euro guitar, but there's lots of guitars that are more comfortable to play, and I think it's holding me back a bit.

The best example of a guitar I find comfortable to play (and good sounding!) is the Fender Telecaster Highway One, but that one's a bit out of my price range. I then assumed that all Fenders had the same necks, but that idea was banned out of my head since yesterday when I briefly played my girlfriends' brother's American Strat. It had a somewhat flatter neck with a gloss finish, which I didn't really like. I did like his Les Paul though (I believe it was a Studio).

At first I was thinking about getting either a Strat or a Tele, Mexican made or maybe the Squier Classic Vibe ones, but it's said they don't really suit the music I want to play, which is 70s and early 80s metal like early Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

So now I'm thinking about maybe getting another Les Paul, since it seems that is the kind of guitar for me.
However... I played Epiphone LP's which are nice, sure, but aren't really that much nicer than the one I already have, not worth the price difference at least.

So yeah, that may be a lot of info to work with and I might be a bit of a picky person, but I just want to get one that's good for me, as it might be the last guitar I'll ever buy. I'm not planning to play live or anything like that soon, it's nothing more than a hobby for me to entertain myself and express myself.

Do you guys have any advice for me? I'm sorry if I've put too much irrelevant info in my post, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Thank you in advance ^^
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Have you looked into the fender telecaster '72 deluxe reissue? I have one. IMO it's quite a nice guitar. Might not be what you're looking for though.
Oh, I've been interested in that one for some time, yes. I just haven't gotten my hands on one yet, so I wouldn't know how it would play and sound when in my hands ^^'
But good suggestion, thank you!
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Haha, yeah. I bought it without playing it for some reason. As soon as i got home i thought 'oh i'm gonna regret this'. I love it, i only have the fender and a jackson rr3, and it is exactly what i need. It sounds great through a good amp. Too bad i have a crap amp.
Meh, I doubt MG's are THAT crappy. As long as it sounds decent to you, I don't really see the problem. It's not like my amp is the best thing that mankind ever crapped out.
What is the Fender like anyway? I'm most interested in how the neck feels, I reckon the sound is somewhat bright? ^^

E: And if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to add =)
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Last edited by Randio at Jul 4, 2011,
It's very very smooth. Easy to slide your hand along without it feeling 'sticky'. You'd be right when you say the sound is quite bright, If you get it, i'd recommend upgrading to 500k pots. To be honest I don't actually know the difference in the pots, but It does get rid of some 'muddiness' that you can get on higher distortion.
Quote by smokedhamtaro
It's very very smooth. Easy to slide your hand along without it feeling 'sticky'. You'd be right when you say the sound is quite bright, If you get it, i'd recommend upgrading to 500k pots. To be honest I don't actually know the difference in the pots, but It does get rid of some 'muddiness' that you can get on higher distortion.

Higher pot values gives you a brighter tone.... therefore you have less emphasis on the low and lower mid frequencies.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I don't really know that much about pot values, just that it has to do with the tone knob (I think) ^^'

I was looking at the Blacktop series Telecaster, maybe that would be a good choice?

Edit: smokedhamtaro, I found out the Tele Deluxe costs about 800 euros, which somewhat outside of my budget, unfortunately. Still, thanks for the suggestion, and if I don't find anything with my current budget, I think I'll consider saving up.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Last edited by Randio at Jul 4, 2011,
check out hagstrom guitars they are real nice for the money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ragingkitty
Higher pot values gives you a brighter tone.... therefore you have less emphasis on the low and lower mid frequencies.

Oh really? Sweet. Now I know. Cheers
@OP, no problem. I wasn't too sure about the pricing difference, because I got given a discount on my deluxe plus a free hardcase
Goodluck finding the right guitar
Quote by Robbgnarly
check out hagstrom guitars they are real nice for the money

I believe I know a store where they sell Hagstroms... And they're in my price range too. I just need to get some way of transportation as it's in Germany and I'm in the Netherlands... Or I just have to wait a month until I get my license.

Thanks for the tip, planning to look at the Ultra Swedes and maybe even the Vikings, if they don't feed back too much.

@smokedhamtaro: Hehe, thanks. And hey, maybe I could stumble upon a great deal too, who knows
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Quote by smokedhamtaro
Oh really? Sweet. Now I know. Cheers

Its all about perception, its not less muddy... but because you have an overall brighter tone, it appears less muddy.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
HAs anyone ever tried the Fender Blacktop Telecaster? I want to know if it still sounds like a Tele even though it's supposed to have high output humbuckers.

I might consider looking at Jackson and LTD too.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Last edited by Randio at Jul 9, 2011,
I used to have a 2006 MIM Fender Standard Strat and, I always played a lot of 80's Hair metal with it. So if anyone told you that you couldn't, don't listen to them. They are great guitars for the price and can handle any type of music, trust me. Go to your local dealer and try one out. If you're not pleased with it, then go with ESP/LTD.
How about a Fender Strat??? It is a gr8 guitar and very versatile too.

ron666
I'll be looking at Strats too, I just have yet to find one that I like enough, but I have tried out only two or so, so I don't think I can judge this early.

I think the key is just try out as many guitars as possible right now, which I had already figured out. I was just curious if people had some ideas for guitars in the 500 euro range I could try out.

The main problem I have is that I like to play a lot of different stuff, depending on my mood. One day I can be like 'Yay, metal!' and play Judas Priest and Megadeth. Then the next day I'll be bored of metal and be like 'Yay, grunge' and play Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. Then the next day I'll be playing blues, or classic rock, soft rock etc. I always stumble upon guitars that are perfect for one thing, but are horrible for others (for example, a Tele would be able to do blues and softer rock, and maybe even grunge, but it can't do metal).

I'm just hoping to find a guitar that can suit my needs for both softer and heavier stuff. The only guitars that I know of that would be versatile enough would be Les Pauls and Strats, and none of the ones I tried thus far I really liked enough.

Maybe I'm too picky?
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch