Hi, I've been playing guitar about 5 years (3 of them acoustic) and decided to buy my second electric guitar. This one should be the one I will be taking for jigs, so it should be really reliable. And I can't decide between these two. We have a band and tryin' to play something like indie with a little taste of punk rock. Would you recommend me Squier Tele Classic Vibe 50's or Epiphone Dot? I have played tele long ago and noow in my local store they're sold out so I don't have opportunity to compare them. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you guys.
They aren't similar guitars in any way. They don't feel the same, they don't sound the same. What is it you like about each one?
@smb: That is why I can't decide. They are differenet in almost any way. Even the different feeling when you have them in hand. The fact why I like tele is because of my most favourite guitar player Russell Lissack and the feeling of tele neck. On the other side I like the neck of dot too, because it's really comfortable for playing chords. I love them both and I would buy them both both, but my wallet says no.

@StratPlayer15: As I've said. Mostly indie rock and sometimes punk rock. I play lead(only) guitar in our band so I need something really versatile.
I was also looking for a tele or a semi-acoustic at one point to play some indie stuff and punk rock, but decided to get a semi-acoustic, because I have never had or played one and I already had the Yamaha for other stuff.

The tele I was thinking about buying was a Squier Tele Custom II with P90's and the semi-acoustic was a Dot or a Sheraton II, But then I got some extra money and now I'm probably going to buy a Nick Valensi Riviera with p94's.

I think they are both really versatile and would fit you well for what you want to play.
I'm in the same boat as you are. I like them both, but I can't justify buying them both.

As far as I have heard, the quality on the Squiers is more consistent, where the quality differences on Dots will be much greater. Many said the Sheraton II was a better choice, but that does cost quite a bit more. I'm a bit of a QotSA nutter too, so the Dot would be right up my alley. But I wouldn't mind a good looking tele as the Classic Vibe either...

I haven't played both of them either, so I can't help you much more than this I'm afraid.
Quote by martinsamek
@smb: That is why I can't decide. They are differenet in almost any way. Even the different feeling when you have them in hand. The fact why I like tele is because of my most favourite guitar player Russell Lissack and the feeling of tele neck. On the other side I like the neck of dot too, because it's really comfortable for playing chords. I love them both and I would buy them both both, but my wallet says no.

@StratPlayer15: As I've said. Mostly indie rock and sometimes punk rock. I play lead(only) guitar in our band so I need something really versatile.

If you stay at playing very long you end up with more than one guitar.

Good idea buy the Tele or the Epi-Dot.

In all honesty what you should be having a dilemma over isn't which to get but which to get first.

Then save up and buy the other one so you can have 2nd NGD when you get the 2nd one.

Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Well I was half-decided to buy the Dot. I only wanted to know if there isn't anyone who has better reference or experince with tele than dot.
The Dot is perhaps a little more versatile because it has humbuckers. However for 'indie' the Telecaster is obviously the go-to guitar design. So I suppose it depends on just how much of a punk influence you have. "a little taste" doesn't say much. If you do put your gain anywhere around or above 50% or if you are likely to play in anywhere with neon signs or old wiring then go for the Dot. Humbuckers handle gain better and they obviously cope with hum better, important if you're playing in bars and the like. If you keep your tone pretty much clean and play in more up together establishments then the Tele may give you a more appropriate tone.

Or split the difference and get a Thinline Telecaster, perhaps one with hum-cancelling stacked single coils.
Well i played the Dot few minutes ago. And what to say. It was awesome, only thing that I like more on that tele is neck. The Dot's neck is kind of thick to me, well not thick but its high, or wide (I don't know what is the right term)... and because I have a small hand... The Dot had better sound for me, and maybe more comfortable for chord and rhytm playing. The neck of tele was for me a little easier to play and maybe faster.
Your wallet is wrong.
Buy them both.
You're going to suffer from this syndrome if you post on guitar forums im sorry haha
Quote by coolstoryangus
Your wallet is wrong.

This. It's a well known fact that wallets are liars.

On a serious note, you say you play lead? Then, if you prefer the Tele's neck I would say go for that. Then get the Dot at a later date. Like the next day.
RIP Adam
Quote by coolstoryangus
Your wallet is wrong.

This. It's a well known fact that wallets are liars.

On a serious note, you say you play lead? Then, if you prefer the Tele's neck I would say go for that. Then get the Dot at a later date. Like the next day.
RIP Adam