Hey , When I try to write my own stuff I have trouble trying to come up with melodies or riffs to fill in the gaps of what I have created. Like if I pick some chords or something or do a riff and write something I then have trouble on figuring out what to play in order to get to the next chord ....know what I mean?

What can I do??
I have the exact same problem, and infact, I was just about to post the same thing...
Like, I'll come up with a cool riff, and a chord progression, and a solo, or chorus or whatever, but then putting them all TOGETHER, that's what seems to be the trouble.. I'll have all these great parts, but not know how to bind them together, to transition from one to the other..
Unreal T, is that more or less what's happening to you?
What's your experience like playing full songs? How many can you play off memory?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Unreal T
Hey , When I try to write my own stuff I have trouble trying to come up with melodies or riffs to fill in the gaps of what I have created. Like if I pick some chords or something or do a riff and write something I then have trouble on figuring out what to play in order to get to the next chord ....know what I mean?

What can I do??

Keep writing. There's no one formula. Theory can help open up your options, but it depends upon what you know and what you can do. You might want to study voice leading and modulation if you are getting stuck. I don't know if you have the ability to look at music, analyze it and construct the big picture in terms of what it going on, or not. But that would be a big advantage towards what you are doing.

You could also fish around and figure things out by ear. The more you write and the more you understand about what you are doing musically, the more effective you will be at getting your musical creativity and ideas across.

Best,

Sean