So, I'm super into Tosin Abasi at the moment, I am absolutely in love with what he's able to do with his guitar, and it has inspired me to get an 8 string!

Firstly, however, I need to get some decent gear so that the 8 string don't sound like bottom...

Would it be worth me spending some heavy cash on a decent amplifier, or would I be better off using something like a pod hd500, or saving up for axe fx?

Currently I have an ancient peavey bandit which has about 50% correctly working knobs... I just use it for volume and do everything else through the pedal... And a crappy boss multi fx unit. I am looking at making this transition over the next six months, with a steady income!

All help appreciated guys, cheers
Pretty much everyone knows that a good or bad amplifier can make or break your sound. Your amplifier is akin to your home stereo system. You can have a fairly highend amplifier, but if your speakers are junk, it doesn't matter that you spent $xxxx on the amp. See where I'm going here? I have my daughter's cheap $200 Ibanez guitar in this room and it sounds pretty decent through $2000 and $3000 amplifiers.

Spend the money on a decent amp. You won't regret it.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 4, 2011,
Most 8-stringers use PODs and Axe-FX because the #F gets really sloppy with tubes. I have to agree. The speakers don't handle it well either.
Thanks, both answers are what I thought they would be, I just needed that clarification. What I'm thinking though, specifically for the 8 string, is a high end processor. Cheers!
Quote by JELIFISH19
Most 8-stringers use PODs and Axe-FX because the #F gets really sloppy with tubes. I have to agree. The speakers don't handle it well either.

If the speakers didn't handle it fine then using an Axe-FX or POD wouldn't make any difference.

Also: I have tuned my guitars down as far as a standard 8 string through:

Laney GH50L
Blackstar HT-1
Blackstar Series 100, 50 watt
Ashdown FA60DSP
ENGL Fireball
ENGL Screamer

And none of them sounded sloppy when EQ'd right. You have to know what you're doing with any amp to not make it sound sloppy, those guys use those units because of the massive variety and versatility of tone you can get from them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Crappy guitar + good amp = pretty good tone
Amazing guitar + sheet amp = terrible tone

You don't need to have a $2000 amp to make your guitar sound good, but you'll definitely want to upgrade before you buy a really expensive guitar.
Okay, well sounds like a decent amp is what I should be looking for. Any recommendations? I'm thinking that bigger is not better, and that I don't necessarily need a stack. So should I start saving hardcore for a mesa, vox or engl, or are there other brands that do the job just as well without paying for the label?
Quote by Lachlanbecke999
Okay, well sounds like a decent amp is what I should be looking for. Any recommendations? I'm thinking that bigger is not better, and that I don't necessarily need a stack. So should I start saving hardcore for a mesa, vox or engl, or are there other brands that do the job just as well without paying for the label?

Well the Axe-Fx is pretty damn good, and the Axe-Fx 2 just came out. However, you have to pay for a power amp and buy a cab for it as well (or some form of speaker).

ENGL makes some pretty awesome amps, but they're also pretty expensive.

As far as bang-for-buck goes, I think Peavey is your best bet. I got my JSX for $675+tax used at a Guitar Center, and I've seen them go for less.
Yeah, I was thinking about axe fx, I'm really not too sure though. But from what I've seen and heard in the past couple of days, I'm thinking that there actually isn't too much difference, at least for what I'm wanting to achieve, between a decent effects processor and a good amp, apart from price...
Does anyone know if Tosin Abasi uses anything other than axe fx and an orange cab?
Meshuggah run line 6 amps into a PA live, but when recording they use Mesas if I remember correctly. Take frok that what you will. My 8 string goes through a Sovtek MIG 50 and laney 4x12 cab equipped with v30s. And ot doesnt get muddy or sloppy when dialed in right, and the MIG is notorious for its massive bass.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?