I have the opportunity to purchase one of these two amps, both used and only $200 price difference, and I can't decide. I play lead in a four piece, we play mostly small clubs, house parties, and more recently outdoor events. My 40 watt Fender solid state has seen better days and it is not really cutting it at the outdoor shows, the tone is just not as good. Here's my dilemma. I've played both the Fender 65 Twin Reverb and the Marshall JVM 205c and love certain things about both. The Fender's clean tones are the best I've ever heard and the slight crunch on the overdrive is really unique. The Marshall has got that perfect classic rock tone and has more balls than the Fender. We play mostly SRV, Hendrix, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, as well as old blues and various country songs. I guess you could say we are primarily a blues based rock band. I know a majority of this list points to Marshall, but the problem is old blues and country songs sound better on a Fender. I'm trying to find a good balance between old blues and hard rock. I'm curious as to how the wattage changes the dynamics of both amps. The Fender is 85 watts, more than the Marshall 50 watt. How does this affect the amps' dynamics? Amp quality is also a concern. Advice from anyone with experience with both of these amps is greatly appreciated.
The Fender hands down. Not even a contest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Indead Fender is the best. Had the same problem, took the fender (hotrod) still the best choice i made
The Fender hands down. Throw in an OD if you want some more balls.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Fender with an OD pedal will get you everything you want. Get the DRRI and then throw the extra 200 on a Zvex OD pedal and you will have the Fender AND the Marshall.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't like fender amps honestly, I feel you can get a great clean from maaaany different amps that are also more versatile. BUT in this case the fender wins as the 205 isn't all that great IMO and the twin is. Buy a Wampler plextortio/super plextortion and call it a day. It'll be perfect for what you need.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Fender with an OD pedal will get you everything you want. Get the DRRI and then throw the extra 200 on a Zvex OD pedal and you will have the Fender AND the Marshall.
I was under the impression that this was a real '65 Blackface Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I was under the impression that this was a real '65 Blackface Twin.

Whoops, that was just a typo on my part. I'm so used to typing DRRI that it just kinda came out. Yes.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thanks everybody. Looks like the Fender it is. I'll take your advice and purchase a pedal to emulate the Marshall tone whenever I really need it. Which brings me to my next question. I've been looking at the Wampler Plexi Drive and the Plextorsion pedals. What is the difference between an overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal? I've listened to some demos and they sound like they do almost the same thing to me. Which do you think would be better for my situation?
if you are talking about the reissue, i personally think it is an overpriced piece of junk. as much as people say it takes drive pedals well, it really doesn't. The clean tone is ok but still leaves a lot to be desired. if you play with distortion/overdrive don't expect to put a pedal through the twin reverb reissue and have it sound amazing (or even good imo).

I do think the DRRI is a better especially since you can drive the front end a bit more.
I'd personally go fender.. It'll take pedals great. Another overdrive I'd recomend is the fulltone ocd. It's nice because it has to modes , h(point) and lp, and the lp works great as a clean boost or slight overdrive for your amp, which i personally love on fenders, and the hp is all your biritish middie goodness. I run it through a fender 68 bassman, and it sounds fantastic.
Take your time, have some patience and look for a genuine Blackface Twin instead of a reissue. In 10 years the reissue will be worth squat and the real one will be worth more than you paid for it. Plus they are just better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
On a side note, for OD pedals that are essentially Marshalls in a box, take a look a look at the Catalinbread DLS.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Cathbard
Take your time, have some patience and look for a genuine Blackface Twin instead of a reissue. In 10 years the reissue will be worth squat and the real one will be worth more than you paid for it. Plus they are just better.

No offense, Cath. I respect you and everything, but not everybody buys gear with the express intent of selling it in the future for capital gain This is a used amp and the deal may pass him up as he looks for a considerably more expensive (likely) Blackface.

I'd grab the Fender and a NICE OD pedal, like many that have been recommended here.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by silverheart
We play mostly SRV, Hendrix, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, as well as old blues and various country songs. I guess you could say we are primarily a blues based rock band. I know a majority of this list points to Marshall.

considering that list it's fender imo. i'd have an easier time hitting those tones with a twin and OD than i would a marshall jvm.

yes i've played both.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Shinozoku
No offense, Cath. I respect you and everything, but not everybody buys gear with the express intent of selling it in the future for capital gain This is a used amp and the deal may pass him up as he looks for a considerably more expensive (likely) Blackface.

I'd grab the Fender and a NICE OD pedal, like many that have been recommended here.

Whether you sell it or not, it's still a better amp. I see people here score blackface Fenders in the US cheap all the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by joe_k
bassman =/= twin reverb. fender =/= all sound the same.

Don't know if this was sarcastic... But its a 68 bassman, no crap they don't sound even close to the same, but its not like i was comparing it to a tweed. Even so, it was just saying that there is a pedal out there, that i liked, for not too expensive, that can overdrive your amp without coloring it too much, while also being able to do the mid prominent british stuff he wanted... sooo yeah
a 68 bassman might sound similar to a 65 twin but the reissue twin doesn'tget close to either of them. Trying to overdrive a twin reverb is a massive pain in the arse because it is so god damned loud when it starts to drive.

As great as a drive pedal is, the twin reverb reissue just doesn't take it nicely. i have played a few high quality, great sounding drive pedals through the reissue and can not name one which i can say actually sounded any good.

I'm just trying to get it through that just because an amp has a great clean tone doesn't mean that pedals will automatically sound great through it.
Quote by joe_k
a 68 bassman might sound similar to a 65 twin but the reissue twin doesn'tget close to either of them. Trying to overdrive a twin reverb is a massive pain in the arse because it is so god damned loud when it starts to drive.

As great as a drive pedal is, the twin reverb reissue just doesn't take it nicely. i have played a few high quality, great sounding drive pedals through the reissue and can not name one which i can say actually sounded any good.

I'm just trying to get it through that just because an amp has a great clean tone doesn't mean that pedals will automatically sound great through it.

No I totally agree, I'm just saying its possible. There's definitely easier ways. Twins are great amps at what they do, and until they are excessively loud, they don't break up ( at least for much more than a slight bluesy breakup), which is kinda why people buy them a lot. If you have the luxury to crank it when necessary, or want that beautiful clean tone its a great amp. I haven't tried the reissues, so I can't speak for how they take pedals. Not horribly I'd imagine, but you're gonna be using it for much more than a boost most likely.
I think now I might have found another solution to my problem. A friend of mine recently purchased an Egnater Rebel 30w head and cab. I went over to his house and played it and I really think it is an all around great amp for both clean and distortion. I'm now looking into finding a used Egnater Renegade 65w head for a little more power. Anybody have an opinion on Egnaters?
Egnater is good stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.