Hi guys,

This is my first post on this section so I dunno if this has already been answered.

I am currently working on a death metal album with a friend and we have no drummer and after long debate we came to the conclusion that we're just gonna have to programme our drums, much to my dismay.

So, I wanted to ask you guys is there any mixing techniques to get that old school death metal drum sound? Think Death's Leprosy or Spiritual Healing. I like when the kick is audible but not too clicky, kind of like a thud you know? I love those boomy toms too. Is there any EQ's I should know about? Compression? Reverb?

What way should I pan each piece of the kit and what levels should I set them at?

Just some starter points would be cool then I think I could take it from there and just go with what I think sounds good.

Oh and we're running EzDrummer DFH through Cubase 4.

Thanks in advance!
IMO DFH and Ezdrummer in general will not get you the sound you want. It doesn't have that much versatility, and the kick drums all sound pretty terrible to me.

I think you'll end up looking for a passable sound rather than getting the sound you want with DFH.
RIP Gooze

cats
Yeah I was thinking that. That's why I wanted a real drummer but there are none in my area! If I can get somewhat close to what I'm looking for then I'll be happy.