I am fairly tone deaf, like listening to a song, I cant even tell if a chord change is going from low to high or high to low...

so anyways the other day I got tired during practice so I thought Id just rest my head on the top horn of the guitar and close my eyes for a little while. When I did this, it was the most amazing experience ever. I could finally hear tones! I can also hear the differences the wood makes, its so awesome to me.

So ive been thinking of trying out some new guitars, but I wonder, If I put my ear on the guitar so I can hear it, would that be weird or frowned upon?
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
are you playing through an amp? i mean an amp should be able to project sounds way better than your ear on the guitar.

you need to play more. not just to hear the keys, but to hear the diffrent timbres of the notes/keys. for example, you can play the same chord in many places over the neck, but they sound different.

a simple example is i was struming my acoustic and a song had an F sharp minor. well, there are 2 very obvious barr chords of that, one is at the second fret and the other is at the 8th. same chord, but different sounds.
Playing with your ear constantly against the body might make it a little tough to play. I checked the Official Guitar Player Rule Book. I can find no references to what you propose, so have at it!
If it works for you, just do it. What anyone else thinks means nothing. Absolutely zero.

If it's an amazing experience for you and helps you to have a better connection with your instrument, then putting other people's viewpoints before your own gets you nowhere.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
awesome. thanks for the input guys.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
I do that as well. It sounds really warm and smooth. It sounds really harmonising. I also sometimes rest the headstock of my guitar on my desk and it amplifies the guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sometimes people need to train their ear to recognize pitches and sounds. Just play more and more, you should get it soon.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I don't think anyone around here would judge you, but to answer your question, if you walked into a shop and started putting your face all over their merchandise, they'd probably get a little pissed, I would think.

=/
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd say work on your tone a bit, and by that, I mean the settings on your amp. Or play acoustic, it's essentially the same as you described. Also, try playing through headphones.

I'd advise against playing with you ear on the guitar. It's kinda pointless as you're only hearing the sound the guitar is already making through the pickups. The probably is probably in your settings. If you really are unable to set it up so you can hear tone, you need someone to help you.
when i do that, i usually put the neck on my ear, it is really usefull if you want to tune when you're in a crowded place and haven't got a tuner

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
Weird? Yes.
Frowned upon? No.

Also, try pressing the body of your guitar against a piece of wooded furniture. Changes the tone incredibly!
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I do that all the time actually haha, especially if I need to tune my guitar when there's too much back ground noise. It cuts out everything and all you hear is a creamy, buttery-smooth guitar.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Get down to the doctors and get your ears checked, you might just need to have the wax cleaned out!
I tend to tune by the vibrations on the guitar neck. Whatever works
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood to the body that sticks up and has a chin mount, so you can rest your chin on it and get the vibrations. that would be sweet. id add a straw and a little pouch for juice too.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood to the body that sticks up and has a chin mount, so you can rest your chin on it and get the vibrations. that would be sweet. id add a straw and a little pouch for juice too.

How 'bout a cupholder and an ashtray??
Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
I've noticed the same thing while I have my headphones in. If the chord touches the strap button just right, everything's clear as day.