How do you get the standard volume for a recording?

Is it with just the right amount of compression or am I missing something?
I don't normally use compression, although I have it available in my home studio. I set the level of each channel and keep an eye on the Master. I look for a good mix of the channels. If anything, I do some EQ to make sure everything has its own space.

Does this help?
the standard volume of today's music you get simply by limiting the whole thing like crazy.
you'll keep up with the volume of these days, but you loose alot of dynamics.
Well I kinda put my recordings with my daily playlist and I noticed that it's really below the standard.

I just put mild compression on my tracks(It's DI afterall) and that's it.

I'm really advocated to dynamics so I don't up the too much compression nor put limiting on my tracks.

Any other suggestions?
Get a good mix to start with. Somewhere around -3Db on the master channel (all your tracks together) is the optimum level to aim for. Start with all tracks low, then move them up accordingly. Once you're happy with that, mix it down to the single master channel and master that with a slight compression if you have a massive dynamic range, then just normalize it, and maybe some noise reduction too if there's some gain buzz or hiss after you raise the volume.
Get a louder system and reduce the volume of every other track.

It is physically impossible to get a mix as loud as a commercial master without a limiter without causing constant clipping.

I am a dynamic advocate also, but in the hands of a skilled mastering engineer, he will retain some audible dynamic and still get the loud parts sounding as loud as every other jerk on the market.

The reason these commercial tracks are loud is because they've had the dynamic mastered out of it. If you want to match volume, you either need to do the same or turn the stereo up when you listen to your stuff. Simple as that.
I see. Thanks everyone

Oh I have another question. If you have an audio interface, it will clean the signal up right? It will remove that hissy noise and make it seem louder so I can turn it up more?

Or will it still kinda sound boomy even with it.
Quote by gothblade
I see. Thanks everyone

Oh I have another question. If you have an audio interface, it will clean the signal up right? It will remove that hissy noise and make it seem louder so I can turn it up more?

Or will it still kinda sound boomy even with it.

a interface helps quality a ton. yes it can be recorded louder as you can adjust the pre-amps up, but to loud will create a hardware, software, or clip on both.

good preamps, EQing out unneeded freqs, compression, more compression, and limiting is how you get volume. pre amps are a very important part of keeping quality on loud recordings.