How do you approach thumb placement? Do you try to keep it in the same place most of the time or does it depend on the chord you are playing. I find that my thumb and hand positioning changes depending on the chord.
-Mike
Typically, it changes with the chord for me.

When playing barre chords, I lower my thumb (you kind of have to, in order to make the "barre" part work). Most other chords, I let my thumb rest higher up, and sometimes I use it to fret notes on the low E string.
Last edited by DonnieSchex at Jul 4, 2011,
There's supposed to be a gap between your hand and the neck. The thumb should be placed on the middle of the neck and your hand should hang from there..... technically speaking. I do tend to let my thumb ride up over the neck and also use it on the low E.
When I first started taking lessons, the strict rule of thumb... pardon the bad pun... was to keep the thumb firmly planted behind the neck. As time went on, I departed from that teaching a little. Now, it depends on the chord, much like Donnie said. Let the chord dictate where the thumb needs to be. Trust me, you'll know which chord needs it behind the neck and which needs it sticking out over the top, like, er, a sore thumb. Ok... another bad pun.

One more thought, then I'm thumbing it down the highway... Some chords actually utilize the thumb to fret the 6th string.
I taught myself to use my thumb as more of a basis of support rather then position due to my abnormally small hands so I never worried much about it. You can learn to put it "properly" but i may still not be comfortable.
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
I was always told that the correct positioning was to have the thumb locked down firmly on the middle of the neck. That doesn't always work for me because my hands are a bit big. So I do what's comfortable for me. Like a lot of other people, I use my thumb to fret the E string on some chords, like an open position G chord. My thumb is usually at a slight angle but in the middle of the neck for power chords. I think it's best to do what is comfortable for yourself, don't worry about what people tell you is the "right" technique - it's different for everyone except classical guitar nazis.
Quote by DonnieSchex
Typically, it changes with the chord for me.

When playing barre chords, I lower my thumb (you kind of have to, in order to make the "barre" part work). Most other chords, I let my thumb rest higher up, and sometimes I use it to fret notes on the low E string.

I can't fret the low E with my thumb. I am not sure if it is because my fingers aren't long or I don't have the proper technique or flexibility yet.
-Mike
Quote by Widefingers
I can't fret the low E with my thumb. I am not sure if it is because my fingers aren't long or I don't have the proper technique or flexibility yet.

It takes awhile to play the low E with the thumb but I guess if you keep doing it you'll find it easier...