so i am playing with backing tracks live. Still thinking a better way to get it done.
So far i use my phone (which is a walkman mp3 players as well) in flight mode (so that it doesn't accept calls and functions as a mp3 player only) into a mixer where i also plug myself and then send my signal to a PA or the main mixer or something. the reason i do this is to have a control of my volume, backing track volume and so on...

I am thinking what piece shall i get to replace the phone which doesnt seem very reliable, is there any CHEAP audio bay (I don't know what it's called) to store my music in and use it Live without any comp...

TL;DR: where can i put my backing tracks for LIVE playing other than my phone?
A sansa clip+. better sound quality than an ipod and cheaper, too.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
No, not end thread! MP3 isn't a good enough quality to use for live sound, even the high bit rate ones are sub par. Make sure whatever you're using you have your backing tracks in say AIFF or WAV format; that way you will include more of the sound spectrum when you play live with your backing.
Hello
ipod can support those formats.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yeah any MP3 player (well "media" player if you want stuff like WAV) should do the trick to be honest, providing you have a method of plugging it into the mixer.
Quote by gumbilicious
ipod can support those formats.

Yeah, that wasn't my point, he can use an ipod if he wants, I just said he should check the file type. Maybe invest in a sampler or looper pedal too if you want more control?
Hello
On a laptop running ableton live? infact i guess any media would be fine if its just simple single backing tracks

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Quote by Vendetta V
mmm any other piece of gear. like DJs use something like that. im talking of plain pro gear not a "media" player

You'll see most good DJs rocking a Mac upon their decks or whatever.

Actual DJs, like guys who are famous for it and do their own tunes and whatever, won't be playing MP3s at their shows.

But if you mean DJs in the sense of like a wedding or club DJ then they'll just have a laptop of some kind, playing the MP3s. In the exact same way an MP3 player or something would do.

So all it is is a bit of extra flexibility when creating the overall mix (like blending tracks as one finishes and stuff) when using a laptop, but as a guitar player, for you it'll be a case of playing one, have it finish, talk to the crowd, start the next one, play to it.

So an MP3 player or something will be perfectly fine for what you do.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
You'll see most good DJs rocking a Mac upon their decks or whatever.

Actual DJs, like guys who are famous for it and do their own tunes and whatever, won't be playing MP3s at their shows.

But if you mean DJs in the sense of like a wedding or club DJ then they'll just have a laptop of some kind, playing the MP3s. In the exact same way an MP3 player or something would do.

So all it is is a bit of extra flexibility when creating the overall mix (like blending tracks as one finishes and stuff) when using a laptop, but as a guitar player, for you it'll be a case of playing one, have it finish, talk to the crowd, start the next one, play to it.

So an MP3 player or something will be perfectly fine for what you do.

ok cool i was thinking of something like this really
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFoBbNHvOME&feature=related

what is he usualy using? that seems quite easy to reach for and whatnot
Jessie Hughes was in Melbourne , Australia recently playing acoustic live and he used an iPod to cover his backing at his shows. The few little bits I've heard were okay and a couple of people who were there said that it sounded pretty good.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
PA's are hardly hifi. An mp3 player would be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Vendetta V
ok cool i was thinking of something like this really
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFoBbNHvOME&feature=related

what is he usualy using? that seems quite easy to reach for and whatnot

I dunno exactly what Buckethead uses, but it'll be something that works exactly as an MP3 player, Laptop (assuming it's used purely for playing the tracks and no DJ stuff), Phone, etc, would.

I mean, Guthrie Govan uses his IPhone at all of his clinics for the backing tracks, and he always sounds awesome
Quote by Cathbard
PA's are hardly hifi. An mp3 player would be fine.

Aaaaaaaaaand this.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
digitech jam man. you can store tracks on it and trigger them with your feet. that'd be kinda cool
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Magicpad
Haven't you heard of a sampler?

If I saw someone at a gig bust out their phone, mp3 player, or computer I'd be laughing my face off.

why?

i know of a number of bands that do this, and actually knew a number of bands personally who used this type of equipment live. mind you most bands don't keep them in plain sight and have a tech operate back stage, but the local bands i knew had them right there on stage with em out in the open.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Magicpad

If I saw someone at a gig bust out their phone, mp3 player, or computer I'd be laughing my face off.

People have been using everything from DAT players to Ipods for years for backing tracks. You been living under a rock?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Magicpad

Me too...but only because they'd be unprofessional enough that they didn't set it up pre-gig.

Actually I wouldn't laugh my face off, cos I'm not a douche...plus I don't think it's possible.

Point is, you rarely even see what it is that's playing the tracks.
Plus, why would you use a sampler when all your demand is, is to play tracks behind you. All you need to do is lean over to your mixer and press play/next or whatever for what the TS, and many other musicians would want.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Haven't you heard of a sampler? If I saw someone at a gig bust out their phone, mp3 player, or computer I'd be laughing my face off.
Me too...but only because they'd be unprofessional enough that they didn't set it up pre-gig.

Actually I wouldn't laugh my face off, cos I'm not a douche...plus I don't think it's possible.

Point is, you rarely even see what it is that's playing the tracks.
Plus, why would you use a sampler when all your demand is, is to play tracks behind you. All you need to do is lean over to your mixer and press play/next or whatever for what the TS, and many other musicians would want.

well makes sense about laughing, idk at underground places it might be fine but imagine some big band do it on a concert, not clinics and whatnot... that wouldn't make me lough or something but would surely leave the impression of "ermm.. no.. not that.. "

nwo for the BOLD PART yeah actually, it wouldn't matter but to be honest, the thing im using now aint that comfortable, you could easily miss the buttons and all that.. you know
I've played with backing tracks before in a duo, we used a DAT. I didn't like it because it robs all the spontaneity out of the performance but the audience certainly seemed to enjoy it. Nobody ever laughed at us, that's for sure.
Something like an Ipod that was easy to drive is what I'd be using if I was to do it today.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Vendetta V
well makes sense about laughing, idk at underground places it might be fine but imagine some big band do it on a concert, not clinics and whatnot... that wouldn't make me lough or something but would surely leave the impression of "ermm.. no.. not that.. "

nwo for the BOLD PART yeah actually, it wouldn't matter but to be honest, the thing im using now aint that comfortable, you could easily miss the buttons and all that.. you know

Well as someone said the Digitech Jam Man can be triggered by your feet. But really noone would care that you reach over slightly to press the play button.

It's no more un professional than waiting for the rest of the band to be ready to start a song (which I'll admit doesn't scream "We're super tight" but you do have to make some sacrifices when playing to backing tracks).

And people do still do it at gigs...I mean, look at Buckethead, I'm sure now he has someone to press play on whatever he uses, but early on he probably did it all himself, leaning over to press play.

And on the case of missing buttons...just make sure you don't miss the buttons?
Same thing with having a pedalboard and not missing the footswitch.

Also, I don't think anyone playing to backing tracks will exactly be playing festivals so you shouldn't worry about people laughing at you...no idea why anyone would, the amount of solo singers that make loads of cash from singing to their iPod should be a testament to that.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Well as someone said the Digitech Jam Man can be triggered by your feet. But really noone would care that you reach over slightly to press the play button.

It's no more un professional than waiting for the rest of the band to be ready to start a song (which I'll admit doesn't scream "We're super tight" but you do have to make some sacrifices when playing to backing tracks).

And people do still do it at gigs...I mean, look at Buckethead, I'm sure now he has someone to press play on whatever he uses, but early on he probably did it all himself, leaning over to press play.

And on the case of missing buttons...just make sure you don't miss the buttons?
Same thing with having a pedalboard and not missing the footswitch.

Also, I don't think anyone playing to backing tracks will exactly be playing festivals so you shouldn't worry about people laughing at you...no idea why anyone would, the amount of solo singers that make loads of cash from singing to their iPod should be a testament to that.

I see your point really!
yeah jamman is a nice idea actually since you can also use it as a looper back at your place and whatnot to remember your sketch ideas and whatnot... but it's expensive...

yeah teh thing is when you'er alone on teh stage there's no way of doing it the wrong way.

and when it comes to pushing a button, lol i've seen Dave martone's angry face each tiem the sound guy would push the play while he was trying to talk to the audience :P... not trusting anybody any more with the play button :P

anyways i actually agree to the most of the guys, i am in no financial state right to buy a new piece of gear but i was just wondering how would others do it and, idk.. just that
I just got this a couple of weeks ago, Easypix EasyPad 1200 25,9cm (10,2 inch) Tablet (1GHz, 512MB RAM, 4GB HDD, Touchscreen, pretty much the same as an Ipad for half the price.

we use this for backing tracks which makes life alot easier, I´m using the winamp player but there are alot more out there that are free apps, here´s a few screen shots:

this simple cable

and a holder for the mic stand