hi,
i was looking for an explanation of the differences among different price range Ibanez guitars,I know that the price is self-explanatory but i.e. for the rg type/series whats the differences among gio,rg standard,premium,prestige,j custom (havent found these on their site but i think it's because they're custom shop).
For example i read basswood body either on a standard and on a prestige...
Have u tried some of these to tell what we pay for?
Thanks
Obviously the wood quality improves.
Bridge is a big factor low end ibanez, the bridges usually suck.
In my view you're better off going used because you get the best deal that way since mij rg550s/570s etc ibanez with the edge/lo pro go for about the same price as a new rg350 or something.. and the rg5xxs are on equal quality to the prestiges..
Quote by coolstoryangus
Obviously the wood quality improves.
Bridge is a big factor low end ibanez, the bridges usually suck.
In my view you're better off going used because you get the best deal that way since mij rg550s/570s etc ibanez with the edge/lo pro go for about the same price as a new rg350 or something.. and the rg5xxs are on equal quality to the prestiges..

they dont use original floyds even on higher end guitars,but obiuvsly they've to be decent (at least on higher end guitars)
Last edited by KDC at Jul 4, 2011,
No. They dont but the likes of an edge, lo pro or edge pro are equal in quality to an original floyd rose.
While the likes of edge 3's, lo trs, edge pro 2s are pretty crap!

There are newer systems like the edge zero etc but i dont really know about them because everything ibanez i buy used... haha
Quote by coolstoryangus
No. They dont but the likes of an edge, lo pro or edge pro are equal in quality to an original floyd rose.
While the likes of edge 3's, lo trs, edge pro 2s are pretty crap!

There are newer systems like the edge zero etc but i dont really know about them because everything ibanez i buy used... haha

hmm...yes i've seen that vai's one is equipped with the "old" edge instead of the newer ones that anyways are on the prestiges...
Its because he prefers the feel, they are supposedly smoother than the newer ones or ZR equipped egdes.

Edge / Edge lo pro / Edge pro all own an OFR IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jul 4, 2011,
really need to start a petition to put the original edge back on the prestiges and j-customs, like they've done with the sigs.

but yeah in order from bad to good they're pretty much in the order you listed (gio,rg standard,premium,prestige,j custom going from worst to best).

generally speaking, if you can at all, try to stretch to a prestige.

i haven't tried the premiums, but i'm sceptical of the idea of all that supposedly high-end wood and craftsmanship when they haven't addressed the trem problem (as coolstoryangus said). Bit like treating a bruise before a gunshot wound, if you ask me.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the RG5EX1 PG and the Prestige RG4570Z HBK. There are a few differences, starting with better wood. From basswood (RG5) to mahogany and flamed maple top (Prestige) to the wood in the neck, it's all a step up. It makes a considerably noticeable difference in tone too . The quality of the trem is noticeable as well, and then there's design. The design on the Prestige's trem is way easier to set intonation and to change string guage as well. Personally they had me at the wood, the trem is just gravy.

Added: I thought I understood the naming system they use, with the Gio, standard, premium, and then prestiges, but was clueless as to what exactly was a "J-Custom". I thought it was maybe a total custom job, or perhaps even the artist series. But when I got my prestige, the case says "Team J Craft" and the paperwork says "J Custom". I have since seen Sweetwater selling a "Premium" that is identical to my Prestige, except for the finish. Oh well.... good luck figuring it out.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Jul 4, 2011,
they probably entered the premium to fill the gap between rg standards (about 600 $) and "cheapest" prestige (about 1200 $) that was huge,that could explain the "premium treatment",as they say,but with an edge zero II...
^^ j-customs are the highest ibanezes, they're higher-end than prestiges. very nice, but very expensive at the moment with the strong yen (same's true of most ibanezes currently, though ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You know more than the rest of us about them... any clue as to what "very expensive" is? I mean, my Prestige cost $2,500.00 USD at GC and then add tax @7.9% and the extended warranty, mine cost me $2,997.49 USD. How much more guitar can you get? ROFL.
wow that's a lot. yeah this year's prestiges have shot way up in price, i think it's the strong yen. I doubt a j-custom would be any more than that, maybe even a bit less, if you imported from japan.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The thing is you can usually import a j-custom (or a used j-custom) from japan for like the same price as a high end prestige...
well they just started selling j-customs in the us again this year...

but ya i think they top out at 3-4k

a prestige is between 1-3k

those are the made in japan ibanez's now.

premiums, regulars, and the other stuff is made elsewhere.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by justinb904
The J Custom Sweetwater has is $3500
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JCRG2011ZBLZ

I'm sure you could get one cheaper if you knew where to look.

That's the exact one I saw. In the catalog that came out this week, spring 2011. Same price. It is near identical to my guitar, same wood, same pickups, etc. Differences I see, different finish on overall guitar, different inlay on fretboard, and I think different wood for fretboard. So it looks different. I'm not spending $1,000.00 for a different finish (which may or may not be any better).

OK, just read, same fingerboard, just different inlay. So a grand for a different look.
Trust me on this though, its better than any Prestige out there.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Trust me on this though, its better than any Prestige out there.

Ummm, please take no offense, but I'd have to hear some justification for that. I mean seriously, I just went and looked at the specs for both. They are identical except for appearance issues only.

Same wood in all areas, same pickups in same spots, same trem..... I just cannot imagine what could be different enough to pay an extra grand. For my money, I'll take a Prestige any day.
the j customs get the nicest woods and the nicest finishes and are checked over individually by some dude.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The wood will be higher quality, the necks are finished perfectly, with the best fret dress and finish on it, its hand built, the guys that build it build only a tiny number each year ( usually no more than a dozen or so ) and the care and just overall quality is just incredible.

Not to mention the fact they are the equivalent of the Ibanez Custom shop and having one of only a few dozen guitars made means alot to some people. When I had mine, it blew every other Ibanez I had ever played and pretty much every other guitar away. Not to mention owning only 1 of 6 is a pretty cool feeling.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I dont mean to say Prestiges arent awesome.

They are, insanely good guitars and your one is a high as you can go before getting into JC territory, hell if your guitar was a JDM Ibanez, chances are it would be a J Custom.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Japanese Domestic Market.

Made to be sold in Japan only.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Awww crap, there are way too damn many Ibeys out there, I'll never get them all memorized. LOL. Well all I know is this, when I play my Prestige through my JSX, it sounds way better than my RG5 through my MG10-CD.

Thanks for the edumacation.
Gio - Budget models, beginners guitars basically

"Regular" line - Indonesian made, better than the Gio's, but still not that great. Consistent, but not high quality.

Premium - Also Indonesian, but made in a different factory, supervised by the Japanese from the Fujigen factory (where the Prestiges are made). Better hardware, better quality woods, much more attention to detail. The few I've seen pics of have had damn nice fretwork.

Prestige - Japanese, high quality woods and hardware, the 1xxx ones are very basic models, 2xxx are upgraded a bit, and 3xxx are the highest tier, with Dimarzio pickups, more aesthetic upgrades.

J-Custom - The highest quality Ibanez available to the public. Best quality woods, low build numbers, very good attention to detail.
I saw a MIJ Rg420(?) on Cl a few months ago, a custom sparkly marvin the martian painjob, with a eerie blue/purple finish, HSS config and Original Edge for $400.

Man, one of the best deal's I've seen.
Quote by Tom 1.0
I dont mean to say Prestiges arent awesome.

They are, insanely good guitars and your one is a high as you can go before getting into JC territory, hell if your guitar was a JDM Ibanez, chances are it would be a J Custom.

yeah.

if you ask me the j-customs i've tried were a step above the high-end prestiges. but that's not to say the high-end prestiges are bad or anything (I have one, got a good deal on it which I couldn't pass ).

Quote by littlephil
Gio - Budget models, beginners guitars basically

"Regular" line - Indonesian made, better than the Gio's, but still not that great. Consistent, but not high quality.

Premium - Also Indonesian, but made in a different factory, supervised by the Japanese from the Fujigen factory (where the Prestiges are made). Better hardware, better quality woods, much more attention to detail. The few I've seen pics of have had damn nice fretwork.

Prestige - Japanese, high quality woods and hardware, the 1xxx ones are very basic models, 2xxx are upgraded a bit, and 3xxx are the highest tier, with Dimarzio pickups, more aesthetic upgrades.

J-Custom - The highest quality Ibanez available to the public. Best quality woods, low build numbers, very good attention to detail.

yeah pretty much
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LolCatGuitar
I saw a MIJ Rg420(?) on Cl a few months ago, a custom sparkly marvin the martian painjob, with a eerie blue/purple finish, HSS config and Original Edge for $400.

Man, one of the best deal's I've seen.

Wont have been a 420 if it was hss unless it was modded.
Sounds like a rg560 to me..
It was probably an older Roadster or Radius, their model numbers don't correlate with the modern ones, so a 4xx could have had an Edge.