#1
I have a guitar routed for H-S-H configuration. I want to put some Dimarzio D-Activator X pickups in it. Any recommendations on what single coil would fit between them well? Playing style is a little bit of anything heavy played with a lot of high gain. Pup also needs to be F-Spaced.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
#2
any of dimarzio's blade style singles, like air norton s, fast track, chopper
#3
Fast Track 1 might be good. Depends, what kind of tones do you want out of the single coil?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
#4
the d activator x doesnt come f spaced, because its a bar and not poles it will be fine with any string spacing
#6
Get a real single coil, or at the very least a noiseless model that at least tries to sound like one.

The whole point of HSH, as I understand it, is the versatility of being able to get full-on humbucker tones in the bridge and neck positions (positions 1 and 5 resp.), but also being able to make a decent attempt at the tones of the "inbetween" positions (positions 2 and 4, resp.) of a Strat-style guitar, by combining a singlecoil with one of the coils either humbucker.

A real singlecoil, or a noiseless pickup that tries to sound like one is absolutely essential for that.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
#7
+1

I mean I use the bridge humbucker 95% of the time for brootz, and the neck one the other 5% for e.g. solos. The middle single coil, as far as i'm concerned, is for added versatility- you already have your heavier tones covered by the bridge and neck humbuckers, the middle single is a bonus to give you access to other tones. Putting in a high-output brootz humbucker-sized single in there, unless you have very specific reasons (and if you do, that's fair enough), is sorta defeating the purpose of it if you ask me.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
#8
+1 to what prophet and dave said. get something that isnt typically br00tz for the single coil
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
#9
Get a hot ceramic single coil. I have a single coil from my mexican strat on my Ibanez between 2 hot Dimarzio pickups, and it works well. The biggest factors are going to be: Can it handle distortion, and does it maintain a volume level comparable to the humbuckers so that switching from a humbucker to it doesn't result in a significantly noticeable volume decrease.

Like others have said, there's really no point in getting a single coil sized humbucker when you already have 2 humbuckers in there. I like the versatility it brings.
#10
yeah, if you want it to better balance with the humbuckers, a hotter, but still single coil, pickup might be worth considering.

if you ask me you can make an argument for either route (i.e. similar output or a lot lower) depending on what you want. the advantage of higher output is that it balances better, but the advantage of lower is that you can get lower gain tones merely by switching pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?