Hello everyone! I hope this is in the right section! If not, let me know.

Anyway, I don't have any mic I can use to plug straight into my computer, so what I've done was I plugged a mic (Cobalt 4 by Electrovoice, is an SM57 copy) into a small Behringer mixer. Then, with a headphone adapter, I connected one end of a 1/8'' cable into the main left out of the mixer, and the other end right into the mic input on my computer.

I'm getting sound, but here's my problem, it sounds terrible. When I play back a recording on my computer, I just get a bunch of clipping sounds. It's almost indecipherable to figure out what the recording is of. And I have to turn it down so much just to get no clipping, that it's almost inaudible.

I'm monitoring my sound with headphones plugged into the mixer, and it sounds great, so I know the sound is getting messed up once it gets into the computer.

By the way, I'm not trying to record music, I'm using it to learn some basic Italian from livemocha.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
While this is not ideal, it can be done. I did it for a short time, before buying a real interface. The problem is the impedance. As Fire already mentioned, try turning down the volumes on your mixer and watch the input to the soundcard. If you overdrive it, it will clip and sound bad.
Quote by FireHawk
Turn your output down if you can.

Well I did, but it's not that I'm feeding the computer too hot of a signal, because when I check my levels with the mic test thing that comes with windows, It's farely low, even when I get the clipping.

I've plugged the output into the headphone out instead, and that helped a little, but it's still pretty bad
Quote by KG6_Steven
While this is not ideal, it can be done. I did it for a short time, before buying a real interface. The problem is the impedance. As Fire already mentioned, try turning down the volumes on your mixer and watch the input to the soundcard. If you overdrive it, it will clip and sound bad.

Well I have an Mbox 2 mini but I can't get that to work with anything but Pro Tools.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Turn down the input of the soundcard, to like, less than 20, and turn down the output of your mixer board, and don't push the mic hard, it will clip as well.

Hmm I can't seam to find how to configure my soundcard. How do I go about turning it's input down?
Instead of using the headphone adapter try to use a rca to 1/8th cable. Thats what I used to do before I got an interface. J