I've had this Charvel model 6 a few months now and it's never been quite right. Originally it had a really bad paint job, which looked great from a distance, but in person was really sticky and just sort of crumbled off when you touched it, and the bridge wasn't very good, the nut was missing a locking thing and wasn't great because it was a behind the nut dealy.

So anyway, here is the guitar in it's first form. It looks pretty cool here I think, but it was never quite right. It wasn't playing well and it wasn't feeling right because of the paint. I also didn't trust it. Because some of the parts weren't working, it never felt like I could trust it, so I sort of backed off from using it entirely.

Eventually I got bored . . . which is a bad idea

I essentially hacked the paint off because as much as it crumbled when you touched it, the paint sort of stuck to the sandpaper like grease when I tried to get it off, so I ended up just hacking at it with knives and stuff.

Luckily for me, it turns out that all charvel model 6's had a veneer on front and back which means that if I sanded through that veneer, there should be some wood underneath thats untouched.

Now the question is what to do with it. I sort of want to keep it original, because I'm sick of realising I don't like a guitar, right after I've customised it, or done something to it that takes all the value away, however, the floyd style bridge that was on it was 1.Terrible, and 2. very hard to find replacements for (the nut mainly)

However, if I do put a new floyd on it then it means I have to create a shelf for it, and I have to drill holes through the neck for the mounting studs of the schaller (I have an unused schaller bridge that would fit, but its a rear mounted one, and I do worry about cutting through the headstock too much.

The guitar is pretty, and it has a lovely neck, I want to keep it, but I can't be sure and as such, making any big changes, like filling in the floyd hole and turning it into a fixed bridge (which I've considered) might not work out.

I already have a floyd guitar that I like. I have a fixed bridge superstrat which I like (well it's being built, but I've liked it so far - it's in another thread) and I have a guitar I like and can't sell since it was an 18th Birthday present.

I'm thinking it might be best to sell it . . . but in what shape . . . do I sell it as is as a project now that it looks all pretty and sanded down, or do I use it since it's pretty and make a one off bad ass machine?
The first mistake made on this guitar was making the middle hole bigger for a 3 way toggle.
Second was sanding down that awesome finish.
Third was "hacking it with knives and stuff."
But it's okay, we all make mistakes.
Good luck.
Cusp of Magic
i guess so its a big hassle to fill the trem hole. the wood actually doesnt look that bad i would just paint all the cavities black and the oil it or something.
I don't think I would have changed anything about that guitar, but the LAST thing I would have done was strip that paint. I'm sorry, terrible mistake though.
Where's Waldo?
I know everyone says it was a mistake, but you're just going to have to take my word that it wasn't the pictures are not representative of the true finish. There were cracks the entire way through it, it was sticky, it crumbled when playing and it didn't really fit the vibe of the guitar.

I loved the finish when I got it, but after a while I realised that it needed to be stripped back. I've done that now and I don't regret it.

I think psychologically everyone gets to the stage where there are lots of things wrong with a guitar, and even though they are easy fixes you only feel like you have two options; get rid of it or start completely again. I had to look at this as a complete rebuild or else I would never have been happy.

Maybe it's OCD
You said the finish was sticky, so I agree that it had to go, regardless of who loved the art.

I don't see any evidence of the knife hacking. If you didnt tell us about it I would have assumed you just sanded it all, and probably assumed by hand, and with a ridiculously fine grit, and that it took you weeks and weeks to do.

I think the wood looks pretty. Have you thought about staying close to natural, just a light oiling or mild stain? Of course it will collect your body oils and other character defining stains over time, but that might be beautiful. When you're tired of that, a bit more sanding and a proper primer will cover it all and you'll paint it up just like normal.
Quote by RebuildIt
You said the finish was sticky, so I agree that it had to go, regardless of who loved the art.

I don't see any evidence of the knife hacking. If you didnt tell us about it I would have assumed you just sanded it all, and probably assumed by hand, and with a ridiculously fine grit, and that it took you weeks and weeks to do.

I think the wood looks pretty. Have you thought about staying close to natural, just a light oiling or mild stain? Of course it will collect your body oils and other character defining stains over time, but that might be beautiful. When you're tired of that, a bit more sanding and a proper primer will cover it all and you'll paint it up just like normal.

This man is correct. I'd do a dark oil over it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
As an FYI - You could have sprayed the guitar with a nice thick coat of clear laquer, either glossy or matte. That would have given the guitar a smooth finish, without mucking with the paint.

Anyways, I reckon a nice black stain would look great on that. Remember, opinion is subjective, make sure you're comfortable with the finish you apply, and don't finish it the way others would prefer it, just for the sake of it.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
I tried that - I sprayed it with a really thick coat, but it didn't gloss up very well because the underside was cracked, so I sanded back and tried to flatten the paint more and it wouldn't it just sort of started blended.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm wondering about black, might look good with the grain. I might just use a mahogany grain filler on it first to give it that sort of colour and then oil it up though. Or just oil. Not sure yet, but oil feels like the way to go =D
How many coats? It's generally better to spray several thin coats, leaving them dry fully between each, and then you end up with a nice thick glossy lacquer.
Either way, its done now, so I'll shush. ;D

Aye, I reckon a black stain would look good with that grain. You could go with the oil, but it would have little impact on the end result.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Yeah, trans black would look awesome on that wood.

That and gold hardware, just 'cos it looks cool.

Actually, I know you already have a Schaller Floyd, but, for the sake of something different, what about this?

Or,

The last finish looks awesome with gold.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Screw trans black, you should finish it in trans GREEN. Slap some black hardware on that baby and you have a shmexy guitar.
I pride myself on my humility.
I'm talking a DARK oil finish, guys Like this.

I believe you can get something similar with tung oil.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
I'm talking a DARK oil finish, guys Like this.

I believe you can get something similar with tung oil.

Screw that. Trans black.

By the way, sorry that last pic came out so big. I just took it straight from the Schaller site.

Edit: Actually, a natural-looking oil finish might look kind of cool with the vintage copper hardware.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 8, 2011,
I agree that it is pretty sexy. The only trouble is that Schaller is the only company that does it, and it costs a fair chunk more than the other finishes. However, Schaller do make all the hardware you'll need, and in all their finishes, including the fancy copper.

Edit: Hold on, that stuff is all for Les Pauls and Teles. Hmph.

Edit 2: Actually, minus the pickguard, which would probably look kind of odd in metal copper anyway, you're actually probably okay. None of that stuff necessarily needs to match the main hardware finish, and everything that matters (machineheads, knobs, etc.) is covered elsewhere. You could still make a copper-hardware strat.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 8, 2011,
Oil finishes don't get shiny iirc. Buff it later and it might. It'll take a few coats of oil to really make it shine.
You CAN however throw a couple of coats of poly or nitro over it to make it shiny and protect the finish

Stupid name.

Hit a stumbling block with this. I have managed to put in al the pickups but the cheapest switchcraft toggle they had was for archtops and it has a different layout to the other 3 way toggles and \i can't find out how to wire it.

It has 5 pins, 3 in a row and 2 below. I need to work out which is hot and hwich is ground. |Does anyone have a wiring diagram?
Sorry mate, I sort of cross my fingers and pray I'm right when it comes to wiring and all that jazz.

Wiring thread?
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_