Page 1 of 2
Sugar in the gas tank. Makes it less combustible so it burns slower. Also a good substitute for race gas.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Get a new fuel filter?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Drive in higher gears. Less gas pedal. Cycle when you can. Accelerate slower. Lose weight. Get a Prius.
Dont drive it balls to the walls and take out everything you dont need to carry.

PSN ID: ArranP
Jeeps tend to weigh a tonne, try and get all the stuff out the boot and various other stuff you don't need.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
1. Sell eep.
2. Acquire Prius.
3. Become awful driver, but save money.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Short ram intake with high flow air filter
Headers
high flow exhaust
High flow muffler
High flow catalytic converter
Slow acceleration
high gear driving
Low speed driving

Common myth: high octane is specifically for high compression and does not increase fuel efficiency and does not clean your engine

Edit/more:
properly balanced wheels
Proper air pressure in wheels
Lack of front and rear spoilers (however this reduces higher speed handling)
Light weight wheels
light weight persons in vehicle
lack of luggage

There a list of many things that can be changes and fixed for any vehicle to increase efficiency
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by frozenAC itshot
K,

K,? K,?! Just K,? Last time I help you.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Headers
high flow exhaust
High flow muffler
Slow acceleration
high gear driving
Low speed driving

Common myth: high octane is specifically for high compression and does not increase fuel efficiency and does not clean your engine

But, as I stated, higher octane burns slower so it retards the timing so your car doesn't lean out when doing 110mph and the turbo is still spooling.
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Buy a 50cc moped. Everyone will hate you but you'll be troll facing everyone with your ridiculous MPG.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
But, as I stated, higher octane burns slower so it retards the timing so your car doesn't lean out when doing 110mph and the turbo is still spooling.

High octane is used becaus heptane and nonane have a tendency to ignite due to compression easier similar to diesel fuel. . It is most commonly used for high compression engines to avoid premature combustion.

Octane and Turbochargers are relevant as Turbochargers use the exhaust as an energy source to power a compressor which compresses incoming air and fuel mixture into the cylinder. Because the pressure is higher the chance of pressure induced combustion is increased and a more pure octane fuel is necessary to prevent premature combustion.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Avoid hard braking and accelerating.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Don't drive a jeep.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Headers
high flow exhaust
High flow muffler
Slow acceleration
high gear driving
Low speed driving

Edit/more:
properly balanced wheels
Proper air pressure in wheels
Lack of front and rear spoilers (however this reduces higher speed handling)
Light weight wheels
light weight persons in vehicle
lack of luggage

There a list of many things that can be changes and fixed for any vehicle to increase efficiency

With a jeep none of that matters, it's just geared low.

Most of your fuel efficiency is in your driving habits.

Don't accelerate quickly, instead, push the pedal down a certain amount, and let the engine do it's thing to get up to speed, don't give it more gas to get there quicker.

Make sure your alignment is good, a bad alignment will cost you gas mileage.

When coming up on a stop light, start to stop way before the light, so when it turns green again, you don't have to speed up from 0. You use the most gas accelerating from 0.

Any time it's possible, coast, don't give it any gas.

Keep it at 65 mph on the highway, for every 5 mph you go over 65, you loose gas millage. American cars are geared to get the best mpg at 65 mph.

Things that cost money that you could do is to make sure your ignition system is in good working order, meaning check spark plugs, make sure the ignition coil is firing hot enough. Make sure the fuel delivery system is clean, and your air intake is clean.

You can get an aftermarket air intake, which will help a bunch, and getting a after market free flowing exhaust, this doesn't mean get a loud one, but one that flows, cause the stock exhaust on cars is usually very restrictive.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Everything I had in that list is relevant to any vehicle for increasing fuel efficiency. You fail.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Everything I had in that list is relevant to any vehicle for increasing fuel efficiency. You fail.

Pssht, not a jeep. Jeeps suck on gas no matter what you do, but they shouldn't get 7 mpg, sounds like TS is a lead foot.

My dad's Wrangler gets 14 mpg, it's an inline 6 with 32 inch tires.

EDIT:^ Idk, but every little bit you do to keep off that gas pedal helps.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Pssht, not a jeep. Jeeps suck on gas no matter what you do, but they shouldn't get 7 mpg, sounds like TS is a lead foot.

My dad's Wrangler gets 14 mpg, it's an inline 6 with 32 inch tires.

EDIT:^ Idk, but every little bit you do to keep off that gas pedal helps.

A Jeep? You mean a vehicle that uses an internal combustion engine and rides on 4 wheels?

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant too. Everything I said is relevant.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by frozenAC itshot
so coasting and slowing down really slow before green lights will increase MPG by how much

By however much you do it? Not pushing the gas pedal is not burning gas, I know when my sister drives my dad's truck she gets at least 4/5 mpg less than I do because of driving habits. Our Dodge Dakota is pmechanically pretty similar to your jeep as far as mpg, so driving habits can account for at least 4/5 mpg.

Everything Jimmybanks said is awesome and accurate, but realistically most of it probably isn't worth doing past a short ram air intake and keeping your tire pressure right unless you want to put some serious time/money into this vehicle.

Also, at the very least, make sure your air filter is clean if you don't wanna get a short ram system
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Less is more.
"-How do you feel about libraries?"
"-I hate them."
"-Well, not anymore!"
*Cue commercial tune*
Track Library! - A library, for tracks. Ain't that somethin'?
Quote by JimmyBanks6
A Jeep? You mean a vehicle that uses an internal combustion engine and rides on 4 wheels?

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant too. Everything I said is relevant.

A jeep is geared low, for toque, it's not a normal car, so you can't think of it as a car, it's a giant brick on 4 wheels that is not built for speed or fuel efficiency, it's designed for off road.

If TS can elaborate on the model of Jeep and the year, it would help this conversation.

I've worked on enough Jeeps to know they are pieces of junk that work great.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A jeep is geared low, for toque, it's not a normal car, so you can't think of it as a car, it's a giant brick on 4 wheels that is not built for speed or fuel efficiency, it's designed for off road.

If TS can elaborate on the model of Jeep and the year, it would help this conversation.

While most of what I said would not be worth it in regards to saving money unless he owned the vehicle for quite a long time. Everything I said is relevant whether its high tourque, high horsepower, has a stock fuel efficiency of >9000mpg or less than 1mpg.

You just don't understand the basics of fuel efficient, friction, and fluid dynamics. Everything I havve said is relevant. Fact.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by ethan_hanus

Lol, dude increasing airflow will always increase MPG or horsepower and therefore require less gas. Everything he said does that.

Some wranglers are off-road machines, but you can't tell me Jeep didn't intend their grand cherokees and most models to be driven on roads.

"Pieces of junk that work great" cool bro.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Plan all of your trips so they are all downhill. Put gravity to work for you. Also install reversible magnets on the front bumper for north south trips. Put that magnetic field to work for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
While most of what I said would not be worth it in regards to saving money unless he owned the vehicle for quite a long time. Everything I said is relevant whether its high tourque, high horsepower, has a stock fuel efficiency of >9000mpg or less than 1mpg.

You just don't understand the basics of fuel efficient, friction, and fluid dynamics. Everything I havve said is relevant. Fact.

I never said you were wrong, I just said it doesn't really apply to a Jeep.

Being an auto mechanic, I think I get it, it's just, through experience with Jeeps, none of it matters too much.

The Cherokees and Liberties still don't get very good gas mileage, the inline 6's, despite what model it's in, get less than 18 mpg, the V-8's get less than 16.

2wd, 4wd, selectable 4wd, none of them get over 20.

Argue it all you want, the intake will help, not much, the exhaust, will help, not much though, good tires will help, not much though.

Biggest thing on these kind of vehicles is alignment, and ignition system burning hot enough. The O2 sensors go out all the time and cause horrible gas mileage on Jeeps.

If you had any experience with with kind of stuff you would of known that.
1) buy slave children
2) buy harness that attaches 8 slave children to your front bumper
3) starve slave children to the point they're really hungry, but still capable of work
4) sit on car and dangle food in direction you would like to go, but slightly out of slave children's reach.

= infinity miles per gallon.

Seriously though, my wife has a Jeep Liberty. We put a cool air intake on it and changed to very conservative, soft pedaled driving habits and are getting 18-20 Mpg. Not good, but a far cry from the 14 EPA MPG.
If it's a standard transmission, keep it in gear while you're slowing down or going down hills, i.e. downshift to a red light. The forward momentum of the car will help keep the engine spinning, requiring less fuel. Popular mechanics actually did a test with this and found that while coasting to a stop in gear, almost no fuel was being injected, while if you put the car in neutral, fuel is constantly being injected to keep the engine spinning at idle speed.

I may be completely wrong, but it appears as though I get a good 5-7 additional mpg from doing this.

If you'd like I could try digging up the article for you.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I never said you were wrong, I just said it doesn't really apply to a Jeep.

Being an auto mechanic, I think I get it, it's just, through experience with Jeeps, none of it matters too much.

The Cherokees and Liberties still don't get very good gas mileage, the inline 6's, despite what model it's in, get less than 18 mpg, the V-8's get less than 16.

2wd, 4wd, selectable 4wd, none of them get over 20.

Argue it all you want, the intake will help, not much, the exhaust, will help, not much though, good tires will help, not much though.

Biggest thing on these kind of vehicles is alignment, and ignition system burning hot enough. The O2 sensors go out all the time and cause horrible gas mileage on Jeeps.

If you had any experience with with kind of stuff you would of known that.

It applies to any internal combustion engine vehicle that rides on wheels.

Your statement that its a Jeep so it doesn't apply is just 100% scientifically wrong.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Leperaffinity01
If it's a standard transmission, keep it in gear while you're slowing down or going down hills, i.e. downshift to a red light. The forward momentum of the car will help keep the engine spinning, requiring less fuel. Popular mechanics actually did a test with this and found that while coasting to a stop in gear, almost no fuel was being injected, while if you put the car in neutral, fuel is constantly being injected to keep the engine spinning at idle speed.

I may be completely wrong, but it appears as though I get a good 5-7 additional mpg from doing this.

If you'd like I could try digging up the article for you.

Makes sense, prolly explains why automatics don't get better gas mileage. When you let off the gas, the TCC in the torque converter disengages, unlocking the transmission from the engine, so the engine is now mostly spinning free of the transmission, until you give it gas again, then the TCC will lock the torque converter and start transmitting the power efficiently.

EDIT: ^ Hahahahahaha, science is crap when it comes to reality with automobiles. You can bring me all the science you want, fact is, Jeeps don't get good gas mileage, and you can't make them get over 20.

Science doesn't trump reality, never has, science says one thing, while in reality, something different is taking place.

Every manufacture builds cars differently, yes, it's an internal combustion engine, but depending on how it's built, what kind, and how the PCM and ECU are programmed, and what the engineers planned for the vehicle to do, changes anything your science could predict.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
It applies to any internal combustion engine vehicle that rides on wheels.

Your statement that its a Jeep so it doesn't apply is just 100% scientifically wrong.

JImmybanks, you're a winner..

Also,
Quote by ethan_hanus

You did say he was wrong.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Quote by ethan_hanus
EDIT: ^ Hahahahahaha, science is crap when it comes to reality with automobiles. You can bring me all the science you want, fact is, Jeeps don't get good gas mileage, and you can't make them get over 20.

Good thing he asked for "better gas milage" rather than, "How can I get my jeep to get 32 mpg?"

I can't believe you're even arguing this? You clearly have some work to do in the critical thinking department.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Page 1 of 2