Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out how to record onto my PC from my electric guitar, I've tried using three different microphones in the microphone ports on the front and the back of my computer, but it only seems to record very quietly, even with my amp cranked up and sat right in front of the microphone.

I have audacity, fruity loops and cubase but I can't work out any way of creating a direct line in from my effects pedal or my amp using any of these programs, although I've literally only just started using cubase, so I'm not too good with it.

Any ideas?

P.S. My effects pedal is a Zoom G2, if that makes any difference...
Hey Godge, have you tried using the USB connection from your G2 to the PC?

1. Install the driver of the G2 in your computer (don't think you will need it at all, but just in case)
2. Plug the guitar to the G2 and the G2 to you computer
3. Start a recording software (i would recommend you to try the REAPER, it's the one I use to record with my POD HD500)
4. Check your settings in Reaper (you should select ASIO for your G2)
5. Click on 'record armed' (a red button that you see off when you open a new track).
6. Start playing to see if the signal goes through
7. Click on 'record' and start bashing away xD

I hope it helps
Unfortunately there is no USB connection on my G2, but I'm going to give reaper a go just using the microphone input anyway.
Your mic signal is quiet because it aint loud enough.

It the absolutely stupid, simple truth.

You need A) an interface that's got some mic pres on it (Alesis i02 is around $100 USD), or B) some type of Direct Input device.

The cheapest I've found is the Vox AC-30 Amplug. It's about $30-$40 USD, and turns your guitar sound into something you can listen to on headphones, or route, yes, into the "mic" hole on your computer.

...I would suggest "line," though, if you've got it. Less noise and other nonsense.

Marshall also sells something like that. The AC-30 thing I mentioned actually sounds pretty darn good. For just knocking out ideas it's not bad. Only clean, though. They do sell a "metal" version that supposedly models a Mesa/Boogie...

Never tried it, though.

I'd go to a local, mom-and-pop music store and see if they carry any of this type of stuff. Guitar Center will probably carry it, but they are idiots, which is why they work at Guitar Center.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

You'll be better off saving for a proper interface. If you only want to record your guitar, you could go with a Pod GX ($100) which comes with decent amp sims so you would have the option of not running through a pedal too. If you look used, you can easily find something similar for under $100.
Yeah, I am planning on buying something like that, but it's going to be a while before I have any money to be honest.

I managed to get it to record with REAPER by plugging the output from either my pedal or my amp into the microphone jack on my computer, but I can't get it to play back properly as I'm recording, all I'm hearing is what's coming from the guitar itself.
Do what I'm doing. Get an audio interface.

A few I was looking into was the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It's got 2 hybrid XLR/1/4" jacks. It takes BOTH a mic and guitar. This way you can record your amp and do a line in recording. This can be a bit pricey though, based on what I'mm seeing you're standards to be.(No offense, just that you couldn't afford the Pod GX yet.). About $200 USD.

An Alesis io2 Express is another option. Quality is not as good as the Fast Track Pro, but still pretty good. They run for $100 USD and have 6 inputs, 2 XLR, 4 1/4". On eBay, you can probably get a used one for $50.

A Presonus Audiobox is pretty cool, but the quality is nothing compared to the Fast Track Pro. It also has 2 hybrid inputs. It's about $150 USD.

I would personally go for the Fast Track Pro, but if you can't afford it, like me, get the Alesis io2 Express.