I have recently started to make my first song.
What do you guys think of my chords progression?

It's in A btw
the chord progression is:

Verse

AMaj9th-C#m7th-Bm7th-D-E9th

Chorus

Bm7th-AMaj7th-D-AMaj9th

Strum pattern is: D-D-U-U-D-U pretty simple

any tips?
Last edited by RockinBadger at Jul 4, 2011,
Drop the "th" after each chord. It'll make it more professional looking and make it easier to read.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I like it. Your progression just shipped me on a beach in Hawaii. ;-)
Maybe add a D#dim chord between the D and the E9 for a nice chromatic bass vibe. Other than that I can't think of anything...

I like the vibe it gives but I don't really like dim-chords they sound a little edgy.
hmm I don't know
I played it using jazz fingerings. One thing I quickly found myself doing was playing a Cm7 between the C#m7 and Bm7. I played the AMaj7 for a full measure, the C#m7 for a full measure and then a quick slide down to the Cm7 between the 4 and 1 beats, then the Bm7. Using 4/4 time signature.

Edit: I guess you could almost call the Cm7 a passing chord. To be entirely accurate, the Cm7 occurs on the upbeat between the 4 and 1 beats. This is really easy to do with jazz chords. Also playing it as a sort of slow/medium ballad.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by KG6_Steven
I played it using jazz fingerings. One thing I quickly found myself doing was playing a Cm7 between the C#m7 and Bm7. I played the AMaj7 for a full measure, the C#m7 for a full measure and then a quick slide down to the Cm7 between the 4 and 1 beats, then the Bm7. Using 4/4 time signature.

Edit: I guess you could almost call the Cm7 a passing chord. To be entirely accurate, the Cm7 occurs on the upbeat between the 4 and 1 beats. This is really easy to do with jazz chords. Also playing it as a sort of slow/medium ballad.

Yeah it's supposed to be kinda slow/medium and I play it on a spanish guitar.
I like your suggestion it sounds a bit dark
I like that progression. The verse is a IM7-iiim7-iim7-V9, which really has a nice jazz sound. It's quite a bit different from the standard iim7-V7-IM7 stuff we normally hear and play. I tried playing it straight the first time, but quickly changed over to the jazz fingerings, which really work nice with this piece. You really need to turn this into a piece of music - I know you said you were working on it, but I'm serious.

Edit: Just dawned on me that you also had a D in the verse, which I dropped. I come out of the Bm7 and go straight to the E9, which I'm now extending to an E13 right before I go back the AMaj7. Two beats of E9, one beat of E13 and then last beat is E9 and then back to AMaj7.

Good luck!!!
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 4, 2011,
Glad to hear you like it

I'll see what I can make from it.
My experience with jazz is basicly 0% I actually never really listened to it.
And I've only been playing for 2 years.
But it's only my first attempt to writing a song
Maybe I can drop the D in like the second verse for like some sort of vartiation.

what are jazz fingerings? I'm quite a jazz nooby

btw I really like spliting the E9 to E9-E13-E9
Last edited by RockinBadger at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by RockinBadger
I like the vibe it gives but I don't really like dim-chords they sound a little edgy.
hmm I don't know

Hehe I also didn't like them at first, but now I LOVE them! Must be an acquired taste. It also depends on how you voice them sometimes: what I had in mind was something like this when i was looking at your progression:

e-----------------------------------
b----7-----7---7------------------
g----7-----5---7-----------------
d----7-----7---6----------------
a----5-----6---7---------------
E-------------------------------

But hey, it's your tune. Make it your own.

Quote by RockinBadger
Glad to hear you like it

...it's only my first attempt to writing a song

Oh really? What you've come up with so far sounds sounds rad. Keep writing dude!

And....erm...listen to some jazz I'm to tired to rummage through my hypothetical collection. I don't know of any good jazz guitarists (I hang my head in shame),; I listen to jazz for the overall sound of the band though I always find the good 'ol stuff like Count Basie and Glen Miller enjoyable to listen to along with some Herbie Hancock.
Not bad. Only 2 years? Impressive.

Jazz fingerings? Another name for the same thing would be jazz voicings. It's nothing more than playing the chords using accepted or standing jazz voicings. Jazz voicings tend to sound a little different than regular, or cowboy chords. For one thing, they tend to not use the first and sixth strings, although there are some exceptions.
Here are the jazz fingerings, or voicings, for those chords:

..AMaj7.C#m7...Cm7...Bm7..E9
e------------3--------3----------2-----7-----
b---5-------3--------4----------3-----7-----
g---6-------4--------3----------2-----7----
d---6-----------------------------------6----
a------------4--------3----------2----7-----
E---5-----------------------------------------

The one thing I didn't include is which finger goes where, but consider this a primer to jazz chords. They don't work with everything, but they do work extremely well with your progression. If you're interested, I can record the verse using jazz voiced chords and let you hear the difference. You may find that you like it.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Here are the jazz fingerings, or voicings, for those chords:

..AMaj7.C#m7...Cm7...Bm7..E9
e------------3--------3----------2-----7-----
b---5-------3--------4----------3-----7-----
g---6-------4--------3----------2-----7----
d---6-----------------------------------6----
a------------4--------3----------2----7-----
E---5-----------------------------------------

The one thing I didn't include is which finger goes where, but consider this a primer to jazz chords. They don't work with everything, but they do work extremely well with your progression. If you're interested, I can record the verse using jazz voiced chords and let you hear the difference. You may find that you like it.

It would be great if you could do that