Basically I want to sound very heavy and high gain for technical death metal, so think bands like Decapitated and Nile (more like Decapitated than Nile, because Nile play in Drop A, ha ha which is much lower than we will be playing in.) Will be playing one full step down(D Standard tuning) on a Jackson RR3 Rhoads which has seymour duncan humbuckers. Currently I have a Marshall Valvestate VS100 Head and Marshall VS 4x12 cab...and the distortion from it is really not so great to my ears

This track will give you a great idea of the tone I am looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8WH-fd4SY

So I take it this is a high bass, middle - ish treble, high gain and low mids sort of sound? just my guess from hearing it.

Anyway, whether I just need a pedal to make my valvestate head sound really heavy like this, or whether I need to sell it buy a new head/cab altogether I dont know...what do you guys think? This is for a gigging technical death band, we are writing songs at the moment so we can start playing with other thrash/death bands in our area.

thanks for your help guys
You could probably sell that stack for $400 - $600 off the brand name alone. Maybe more, I have no idea about that amp.

Then I would proceed to pick up a Peavey 6505+ Combo.

Great amp on a budget, could use a speaker swap though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I think a used Ampeg v140 or a Peavey Vtm120 would fit the bill for you.
That loser shit's right out the window!
5150. Sell the head and keep the cab. Then save up for a better cab and sell the VS.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
If your on a budget look at AMT pedals they make a line that is pretty much any amp you've ever wanted for less than $160. They have the R-1 which is the dual recto, P-1 which is the 5150, E-1 is an Engl Fireball, B-1 is a Bogner Extacy, S-1 which is a SLO 100.... you get the picture. The only thing is your really soposed to put them in the FX loop, not in front, because the pedal becomes your pre amp.

If you got $$ laying around something like a 5150 or VHT pitbull cl
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Errr If I may interject on the 6505+ combo it sounds somewhat muddy, Idk maybe swap out the speakers? Im going to try and go the 5150/6505 route
My Gear
Ibanez RG3EX1 with EMG 81/85s, (EB Beefy Slinky Strings)
Alpine White Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Ibanez TS808 Reissue
Boss CS3
Russian Big Muff Pi
TC ELectronics Flashback Delay
Any amp with a tight response and lots of gain should do, really (you know, as long as it doesn't sound like complete shit). Although throw a Tube Screamer in front of it to tighten it up more (standard metal procedure).
Quote by gravatrax
Errr If I may interject on the 6505+ combo it sounds somewhat muddy, Idk maybe swap out the speakers? Im going to try and go the 5150/6505 route

Were the mids high enough when you played it? Dont be a mids scooper

TS, do you have a solid budget? That would really help us
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by gravatrax

I suggested a speaker swap.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90