Hi,
I want to get a Tube Amp but I like to play stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and I was wondering if I use overdrive and distortion pedals is it a good idea to use tube amps or am I better with a solid-state?
In my opinion, tube is always better and boosting the tube amp with a Tubescreamer is a really awesome thing to do if you can afford it.
And well, why would you need distortion pedals for a tube amp? You haven't specified any amps you'd like to know of.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
In my opinion, tube is always better and boosting the tube amp with a Tubescreamer is a really awesome thing to do if you can afford it.
And well, why would you need distortion pedals for a tube amp? You haven't specified any amps you'd like to know of.

I am looking to get the Ibanez tube screamer
Quote by Dillonski
I am looking to get the Ibanez tube screamer

The amp or the pedal? The amplifier is pretty horrible, there are tons better than that one...
Are you looking for bedroom size amp or venue size amp? That would seriously help.. And also, do you have a budget?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke

Layering distortions and overdrives over stock distortion on any amp is sweet.

Some tube amps work for it and some don't, just like solid state amps.

Although everyone will shit talk solid state, they're good unless you wanna buy an expensive tube amp. I've found cheaper tube amps like Bugera amps or small watt tube amps to be disappointing.
Quote by Sakke
The amp or the pedal? The amplifier is pretty horrible, there are tons better than that one...
Are you looking for bedroom size amp or venue size amp? That would seriously help.. And also, do you have a budget?

Just for bedroom practice and about a £250 budget
yeah, depending on the amp od and dist pedals work great with tube amps. way better (in general) than with ss amps, if anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, depending on the amp od and dist pedals work great with tube amps. way better (in general) than with ss amps, if anything.

Homo answer.
ah, homophobia. classy.

i don't see what's wrong with what i wrote. if you take a random ss amp and a random tube amp, odds are the tube amp will work better with dirt pedals. That's not to say all tube amps work well with pedals, or all ss amps work badly with them, but on a law of averages kind of thing.

Don't see what's wrong with what I wrote. Especially if he's looking at a tubescreamer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by xSacrilegex
Layering distortions and overdrives over stock distortion on any amp is sweet.

Some tube amps work for it and some don't, just like solid state amps.

Although everyone will shit talk solid state, they're good unless you wanna buy an expensive tube amp. I've found cheaper tube amps like Bugera amps or small watt tube amps to be disappointing.

Yeah, but to be more on thread, this guy is on a pretty small-size budget (like I would be). I haven't found Bugera amps that disappointing when keeping in mind that they're 3x cheaper than Peavey 5150s, Mesa Rectifiers and so on. Also, the Blackstar HT series has really surprised me with their tone.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke

Really, the size shouldn't matter in a venue. It's getting mic'd anyway (it should be) and the level is being controlled by the board, so having a smaller amp cuts down on stage noise, as well as being easier to gig with.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Shirate
Really, the size shouldn't matter in a venue. It's getting mic'd anyway (it should be) and the level is being controlled by the board, so having a smaller amp cuts down on stage noise, as well as being easier to gig with.

I've yet to see someone do a stadium size gig with a 15watt combo....
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, homophobia. classy.

i don't see what's wrong with what i wrote. if you take a random ss amp and a random tube amp, odds are the tube amp will work better with dirt pedals. That's not to say all tube amps work well with pedals, or all ss amps work badly with them, but on a law of averages kind of thing.

Don't see what's wrong with what I wrote. Especially if he's looking at a tubescreamer.

Dave, you are right.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sakke
I have yet to see anyone on UG playing stadium size gigs....
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Sakke

Doesn't Beck just use two 15 watt Fender Juniors (being miced)?
Quote by Ferrets!
I have yet to see anyone on UG playing stadium size gigs....

Point taken. But still, what really matters is that the TS would get some useful info instead of just some ranting from other members of UG.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Save yourself some money on an overdrive and do it old school. Turn the amp up until it gets to a point that sounds good for a solo sound. Turn the guitar's volume down until it cleans up to a good rhythm sound, turn it down further for cleans. So, if there's a clean part, set your guitar's volume on 2 or 3. Maybe go up to 6 for the chorus or whatever and then crank it for solo time. That's what I do. I've never been able to justify buying an overdrive. Maybe a boost, but not an overdrive.
Quote by Sakke

Nigel Hendroff plays in front of thousands with an old Vox AC15 and a Matchless Spitfire (15 watt). Also, Daniel Carson plays an old Fender Princeton Reverb (15 watt >>>1x10<<< combo) in stereo with his old Vox AC30. Yeah, I know, CCM guitarists, but the venues are still large.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5