hi there i just finished playing around with some tones and i think i found one that i like. it kinda sounds like a mix of acdc, classic jimi hendrix, with the brutal sound metalcore and doom metal. pls keep in mind that its been a while since i actually played so my playing isnt good, but id just like some tips and pointers on my tone id appreciate that greatly thanx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSR42NwI6ws

my equipment that im using right now:

-esp f50 guitar
-line 6 spider III amp(no pedals since im looking for a more organic sound)
-sansa fuze for recording. i recorded this in my closet and damped the ringing from some shelved by hanging up towels and pillows. i also engineered a way to remove some of the crackling from the sound. theres still some but i reduced it a lot and i think it doesnt sound too bad.
Last edited by guitardude646 at Jul 4, 2011,
okay i dont like the tone its really sterile sounding no offense
but you must also remmeber tht tone comes from the fingersfirst

edit okay i gave it another listen

still dont like it what it is the distortion is too crunchy and not in a good way sounds like some harsh fuzz
Last edited by supersac at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by guitardude646
hi there i just finished playing around with some tones and i think i found one that i like. it kinda sounds like a mix of acdc, classic jimi hendrix, with the brutal sound metalcore and doom metal. pls keep in mind that its been a while since i actually played so my playing isnt good, but id just like some tips and pointers on my tone id appreciate that greatly thanx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSR42NwI6ws

my equipment that im using right now:

-esp f50 guitar
-line 6 spider III amp(no pedals since im looking for a more organic sound)
-sansa fuze for recording. i recorded this in my closet and damped the ringing from some shelved by hanging up towels and pillows. i also engineered a way to remove some of the crackling from the sound. theres still some but i reduced it a lot and i think it doesnt sound too bad.

Sorry bud, but you'll never get an organic sound through a spider.

Like supersac said, it sounds real sterile.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Well, a new amp and guitar are in order to get a better tone. I have that guitar, expect mine has the agathis body, not sure if yours is basswood, and the tone is atrocious. The stock pickups were awful, though I think they used a better pickup when they changed to basswood. It also has a few high frets and a dead note. The neck is comfortable though.

As for the amp, that's the biggest factor in your tone, so you may want to get a new amp first. Sadly, even a Peavey Vypyr is a step up from that Spider. But, realistically, you may as well set your mind to a real upgrade from a practice amp down the road, but wait until you know what to get. It sounds like you are still learning, so really, there's no huge rush for an upgrade, but I do believe that a better guitar and a better amp are easier to learn on.

That being said, yeah, supersac is right.
Next time try not to reveal the gear that you are using when asking for opinions on your tone, because that will influence people's opinion on your tone (the second people read line 6, they automatically assume it's garbage). The placebo effect is very strong.

Anyways, your tone didn't make my ears bleed, which is good. I think it's decent, and definitely usable for practicing purposes until you get something better. At least you don't scoop your mids and crank the treble on your amp like a lot of people. It does sound a bit sterile, and digital. I would maybe add a bit more mids to the first tone. The second tone was alright, it sounded decent as a crunch tone, but you're going to need more gain if you want to play some of the riffs that you played on that setting.

Keep in mind my opinion might be slightly biased as well.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by guitardude646

-line 6 spider III amp

Dude. I used to use (in fact still have) the spider iii 75. Have you not tried tweaking the tones? I mean, I've got some pretty decent tones out of mine, then again. I do have a background in sound mixing for large churches. Try to not make it sound so.. odd. haha.

As of now, I just use the spider iii as a clean combo right now haha. Run my stuff dual tone between the spider and my fender
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
please add some reverb. A little goes a long way.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I have no idea how you plan to get a tone thats a mix of classic rock, and metalcore and doom metal. thats almost like saying you want a mix of jazzy and death metal
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
I have no idea how you plan to get a tone thats a mix of classic rock, and metalcore and doom metal. thats almost like saying you want a mix of jazzy and death metal

Do they have screamo bluegrass as well? haha.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?