I'm torn between these two amps. I know I want one of them, and I was wondering if any of you could tell me if the Tube 60 which costs £200 more would be worth it for the sound. Whichever one would be a combined Christmas and birthday present fairly soon. Summary, Solid State 75 watt ersion or Tube 60 watt version?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Your sig says you already have a 75w vypyr???

That is his new stuff fund.

So he doesn't have it yet.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Do people really recommend the Tube 60s? They seem well overpriced to me. There's quite a few good amps from £4-500
Quote by smb
Do people really recommend the Tube 60s? They seem well overpriced to me. There's quite a few good amps from £4-500

For $449.99usd. With all the effects, and the good, solid tube tone.

Worth it to me.

Would it be better to get an amp that cost 450-500 and save up for a bunch of pedals, maybe. But that would cost more money.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
My problem is that, being 13, I don't get enough money to get really expensive gear. For example, I've been saving for that Schecter for months. I'm looking at the cheaper end of things, you know?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I don't, I forgot to take that out :P
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Maybe they're a good price where you are, Guitarbaddie, but they're far too much here. I'd rather have one or two decent analog effects pedals than all the digital ones you can cram onboard.
Quote by smb

None of those amps can even come close to the amount of versatility and sound quality given that versatility that the Vypyr has. It's simply better than most other amps in the same price range out there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Liking the idea of the tube more and more, seeing as my mate who plays drums is really, really loud, so I'd like better quality at higher volumes. There is the Blackstar HT-20 head I've had my eye on too, but I would also need to pay for a cab. Thoughts on that?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
If you play with a full band, 20W won't cut it. I personally wouldn't even use anything less than 3x that wattage with just drums, but a lot of people on here seem to play with really quiet drummers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you play with a full band, 20W won't cut it. I personally wouldn't even use anything less than 3x that wattage with just drums, but a lot of people on here seem to play with really quiet drummers.

You wouldn't use anything less than 60 watts of tube for a drummer?

Who are you playing with? The Blackstar isn't full tube but still.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I fail!

20 lashes with a low E string.

I vote Tube 60 over a SS 75 any day. I was shopping for the near exact set of amps just last month and a "sweet deal" kept me from doing it. I ended up with the JSX. I listened and played with the tube 60 for an hour or two and decided it was well worth the added funds needed. Way better sounding to me.
Quote by Grimnak27
vypyr 75, tube amps don't sound any better than SS amps.

I see. So tubes have disappeared from practically every field of electronics apart from guitar amps because guitarists are all idiots?
Troll or fool, not sure which.

Vyper Tube is a much better amp. Not something I'd buy but out of those two it's no contest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92

There's also the more expensive 100 watt head, and I could possibly spend the next year or so saving and get that. My teacher's got one and I heard him gig with it, it's phenomenal sounding to me. That would also mean I could get a better guitar than the Omen 7 too. This is really hard.
But if I was going to buy a Vypyr, based on these opinions, I'll go for tube. Many thanks
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Cathbard
I see. So tubes have disappeared from practically every field of electronics apart from guitar amps because guitarists are all idiots?
Troll or fool, not sure which.

Vyper Tube is a much better amp. Not something I'd buy but out of those two it's no contest.

I guess he meant for modelling stuff
I'd vote Tube 60 for sure! in fact, I just picked one up three days ago and i've been loving the way it sounds.
Quote by Cathbard

No, just easily led. If tubes were really the be-all and end-all of magnificent tone, all extremely high end audio equipment would still use them.

They don't.

(And let's have none of that nonsense about Guitar being somehow magically 'different' from any other audio source. It's not.)
Quote by Arby911
No, just easily led. If tubes were really the be-all and end-all of magnificent tone, all extremely high end audio equipment would still use them.

They don't.

(And let's have none of that nonsense about Guitar being somehow magically 'different' from any other audio source. It's not.)

What has hifi got to do with guitar amplification? Of course it's different, dumbass. When was the last time you heard a hifi buff say, "it distorts really nicely"?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
20 watt tube will cut it depending on theamp and speaker etc, but your problem is venue. if you play in a basement practicing your fine. if you play in a big place or outdoors, your 20 watt is goingto strain. and if it doesnt, its gonna heat up and you will begin to loose headroom.

only way you can gig with 20 watts indefinitely no matter what is to mic it through the PA. then your golden.

30-40-50 watts, you dont need to worry about power unless your trying to push high gain. my 2 cents.

man, you gota job? when i had a job in high school and no expenses, i was richer than i iever had been but my main hobby was not guitar. i can tell you right now if i had been a gutar fanatic from 15-19 years old, i would easily have a PRS and a multi thousand dollar amp right now. im nickel and diming with asian made lower end gear right now till i get my career straight.

enjoy no responsibility...uh, i mean youth while you still have it.
Quote by Arby911

They don't.

It isnt its just that 99.99% of tube amps are better made than 99.99% of SS amps. Most SS are either modellers, or they are cheapo crap. If a company actually spent enough R&D on SS, there would be plenty of good SS out there. It wont sound like tube though- SS sounds very different. I wouldnt use one for anything that needed dynamics like Blues or Classic Rock. Uber brootz metal or clean clean cleany clean, if engineered properly, it can sound good. But thats a big if.And it will still be different sounding.

Tube is what tube does. SS is what SS does.

Which is why Tube is ideal for guitar, and SS is ideal for HiFi/Modelling.
Quote by ikey_
20 watt tube will cut it depending on theamp and speaker etc, but your problem is venue. if you play in a basement practicing your fine. if you play in a big place or outdoors, your 20 watt is goingto strain. and if it doesnt, its gonna heat up and you will begin to loose headroom.

only way you can gig with 20 watts indefinitely no matter what is to mic it through the PA. then your golden.

30-40-50 watts, you dont need to worry about power unless your trying to push high gain. my 2 cents.

man, you gota job? when i had a job in high school and no expenses, i was richer than i iever had been but my main hobby was not guitar. i can tell you right now if i had been a gutar fanatic from 15-19 years old, i would easily have a PRS and a multi thousand dollar amp right now. im nickel and diming with asian made lower end gear right now till i get my career straight.

enjoy no responsibility...uh, i mean youth while you still have it.

Man, I'm practicing with a drummer, a bassist and another guitarist in a basement. The only sort of shows we'd be playing are school talent shows and other stuff like that in our town. So would I be better off getting the 20 watt head which would do me until there's the possibility of proper gigs, by which time I'd be making real money.

That leads into your other point, unfortunately I don't have a job at the moment, and I don't have the prospect of getting one even with minimum wage for at least two years. The best I can do is odd jobs for my family and neighbours, which normally gets me about five pounds for a few hours work. They aren't very regular, so I'm lucky if I make a tenner a week.

Thanks very much for the advice though, and that goes for everyone.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Cathbard

What has hifi got to do with guitar amplification? Of course it's different, dumbass. When was the last time you heard a hifi buff say, "it distorts really nicely"?

Yeah, that's why all you tube snobs put solid state pedals in front of them...cause solid state sucks.....
Quote by smb
Maybe they're a good price where you are, Guitarbaddie, but they're far too much here. I'd rather have one or two decent analog effects pedals than all the digital ones you can cram onboard.

I thought the effects and the front end were analog

But yeah, I mean I see your point. If you don't need modeling - don't get a modeling amp. That has always been my belief. Until I bought my Vypyr 60. I got mine for $315 used and I can tell you it is a lot of bang for the buck. Even if you never even touch the effects knob. Compared to the Vypyr 75 - the 60 wins hands down for me. More dynamic and lifelike. If all you play is metal and are on a tight budget the 75 is fine.
Hi-fi is so different from getting a good tone at a concert its not even funny. Plug into your clock radio, and play a gig! Yeah!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, that's why all you tube snobs put solid state pedals in front of them...cause solid state sucks.....

just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
just

and some as well
this guy

either way, get the tube vypyr TS! thats about as versatile as you can get for a couple hundred
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Last edited by JAHellraiser at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Hi-fi is so different from getting a good tone at a concert its not even funny. Plug into your clock radio, and play a gig! Yeah!

If a clock radio is your idea of High Fidelity, I'm not surprised you're confused here...
A guitar amp is designed to colour the signal. A hifi is designed NOT to colour the signal. This discussion is ridiculous. It's like saying there's no difference between a motorbike and a truck because they both have wheels and move.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm an amp noob but seriously...

Guitar amps need tone and color. The speakers to play the recorded guitar need to play it back with no color, because that would defeat the purpose of coloring the guitar in the first place. You don't want audio speakers to break up but guitar amps sound nice with a little breaking, or a lot.

Apples and oranges here.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls