I was trying to make a song today that starts off in an F Melodic Minor and the my solo I just made up happened to be a Locrian natural 2. It sounded great but was wondering if thats music theory legal as I dont know how certain scales sound good with what.
Before You Read The Post Above The Intro Was Natural Minor Not Melodic Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
99.9 percent chance you aren't using a Locrian natural 2 for the solo, but that you are using F minor with accidentals (b5 in this case).

Also, 'music theory legal' doesn't exist, you can do pretty much whatever you want, and get away with it.
Quote by Keth
99.9 percent chance you aren't using a Locrian natural 2 for the solo, but that you are using F minor with accidentals (b5 in this case).

Also, 'music theory legal' doesn't exist, you can do pretty much whatever you want, and get away with it.

this is exactly why i came here to say
but he worded it better
my solo switched from a couple of scales over and over again like every couple of sec but it closely resembled locrian nat2. But how do you know what sounds good with what?
Hahaha music theory laughs at the Locrian mode.... (personally I like it), instead try the MIXOPHRYGIAN! B1 B2 #3 4 #5 6 B7 REPEAT.
The key your solo is in depends solely on your backing. So if your backing riff is in F minor, the solo is in F minor. Everything that deviates from that are just accidentals. Music theory describes how things sound, not what sounds good or not. It's up to you how you want things to sound.
I feel as if this person is going to be like that one guy a few months back....

Just so long as we dont have to test him, I'm fine...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
I feel as if this person is going to be like that one guy a few months back....

Just so long as we dont have to test him, I'm fine...

I'm with you, although if he knows his theory and triads he'll be better off for it, so I still have hope. But as soon as he said "Melodic Minor" I did sort of groan inside. I hope he's not just trying to find a bunch of exotic scales and attempting music by paint-by-number (as Steven Seagull so well put it).

The jury is out on that one. I know exactly who you mean when you say "that one guy" He's still here being that "one guy".

Best,

Sean
Quote by Nottachance
I was trying to make a song today that starts off in an F Melodic Minor and the my solo I just made up happened to be a Locrian natural 2

Well actually no.

Let's look at this resulting scale, "Locrian natural 2". I'm hoping you mean F locrian but meh. The formulae is as follows.

1,2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7

Ok so the song is in F minor, so we can use that to explain the b3, b6, and b7. Now we are just left explaining the b5. What scale has a b5? The F blues scale.

And that's about it. F minor with accidentals, the b5 derived from the F blues scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by northdeathstyle
Hahaha music theory laughs at the Locrian mode.... (personally I like it), instead try the MIXOPHRYGIAN! B1 B2 #3 4 #5 6 B7 REPEAT.

Quote by northdeathstyle

I missed this. Is it a troll/joke? Or simply misinformed?

<Not sure if serious photo>
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^I wondered the same
See llama above for lack of other expression.
Edit: wait does he mean a b1? surely the troll police should be alerted
Last edited by greeneyegat at Jul 5, 2011,
Hahaha the mixophrygian mode is a joke from my college's Aurual Theory class in which my professor was teaching us to sight sing in the different modes and he said "there are 6 modes typically recognized, 7 technically but nobody cares what it is" and a friend of mine asked if it was the mixophrygian, so I invented what it was.

also a B1 would mean that you.... uh... begin the scale a halfstep below the Do? I dunno, it isn't real hahaha.