Ive been playing guitar for a little over 3 months now. I just recently bought my second guitar (Takamine gs330s) after starting out on an old Johnson..

I can play some basic songs like:
Time of Your LIfe - Greenday
Wagon Wheel - OCMS
Jumper - Third Eye Blind
Knockin' on Heavens Door - Bob Dylan

I can do a "G-Run" really quick & I play in my church's "praise band" every sunday as the rhythm guitar just using your basic open chords (A,Am,B all the way to G)..

I dont really know of any beginners, all my friends are more advanced and Im not really sure on how to rate my progress that Im learning at..

After 3 months of playing, how do you think Im doing compared to yourself or others in general after this amount of time??
Im just throwing this out there, I had a 7 years of clarinet experience and six of piano before learning guitar.

But for my praise band. I joined not knowing a single chord. (I had been playing a few weeks and could play two songs haha)
I went to practice and was amazed at how many chords I needed to know. So basically I went home and studied chords everyday all week. I went to church the next week knowing dozens of chords. (turns out the guitarist wasnt even there that week either, solo on week 1 )

I think its up to you to progress. You gotta have the desire to keep learning. After learning all the major and minor chords. I challanged myself to learn power chords. Then inverses. Then octaves and etc. gotta keep challenging yourself
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
First, dude, everybody is wired a little differently. Some will advance quickly and others more gradually. Learning guitar is an incremental process anyway. So just be patient and do what you can do. What others can do is totally out of your hands and you can't be them. Also, when you seem to get stuck on a particular technique, take a day off. Sometimes your brain needs time to process the stuff you are trying to get it to program itself to do.

You are doing fine for only three months. Playing in the praise band will give you some incentive to keep pushing your abilities and to practice. So stay with that. For now, get a chord book and play around with the different varieties you'll see in it. You can do practice on that just by sitting in front of the tv and silently going from the chords you already know to the new ones you are taking on, which will help improve your fretboard agility. You can also then start messing with fragments of those chords or different arpeggios and mixing and matching them up and down the fretboard.

Dave Celentano has a book called "Speed Metal" that has a collection of classical pieces in it in standard notation, tab and it shows the proper fingerings for each passage. It is a good workout for any beginning or intermediate player. Use it with a metronome and it will help to further push your fingering mechanics along. Concentrate on good form, being clean with each note and starting slowly and building your speed up gradually. Moreover, nobody is going to find the material objectionable plus you can toss that stuff in during a solo *lol.

You should also do at least 15 minutes of scales a day with a metronome. Not only are they a good warm up, but it teaches you about keys and modes and it helps loosen and stretch your fingers.

I hope all this helps.
Just keep playing with them. The quickest way to learn is with others. Especially more experienced players. They rub off on you a whole lot. I played in a praise band at church as well and in the two years there, I went from a guy knowing major/minor chords to ripping out improvised solos and even some layered leads.
Congrats on your progress. It seems you are doing well. It's really hard to rate someone's progress without hearing them play. If you can post something here on U-G or on YouTube, we can listen to it and give you an idea how well you're doing.
The real measure of a beginner's skill is his ability to strum well.
The future is no place to place your better days
Your doing fine. Keep at it and take advantage of the knowledge that your more experienced friends.

Speaking of church worship bands (im the bassist in mine), the minister at my church has been the stand in guitarist for when the usual guitar guy cant make it ever since I can remember (and a while longer before that) and he knows fewer chords than you. Goes to show that A) you cant really judge a guitarist on how long they've been playing in terms of months/years - its to do with how often and well they practice and B) a church is not the toughest audience to play to =p
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
thanks for the feedback.. I'm only 17, i wish i would've started playing at a younger age though..

my praise band has experianced and great players on bass, guitar, and drums. So i think it should help a lot also, Ill stick with the band for a while..

I know 26 chords all together that i can switch quickly between: My majors and minors, and my 7's.
Quote by DRAdams Fan
thanks for the feedback.. I'm only 17, i wish i would've started playing at a younger age though..

my praise band has experianced and great players on bass, guitar, and drums. So i think it should help a lot also, Ill stick with the band for a while..

I know 26 chords all together that i can switch quickly between: My majors and minors, and my 7's.

I know I already posted, but...

If all else fails and you wanna spice up a song. Try delay + volume swells. Some songs that we did in praise band that were more acoustic, really didn't have a fit for electric. Oh wait, this thread is in acoustic

You could still try it on acoustic though. Ive done it haha
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by DRAdams Fan

It's never too late to learn an instrument, I picked up the guitar at 28 (six months ago) after playing the piano for probably 15 years. As long as you have passion and dedication for playing, you will continue to make great progress, and playing together with others is a great way to practice your skills. Just try and find joy in the progress you're making instead of feeling stressed about how much there's to learn still. Good luck!
You kids slay me :-)

"I'm 17, but I wish I started earlier..."
"I started at 28..."

I just started in January at ...53...

Can't say I'm ever going to be good, but I'm having a ball, enjoying lessons, and it gives my 15 year old son (who's been playing for several years) and I something in common, where he can be the teacher - it's a nice change.

You youngsters don't realize we all have the same amount of time - the rest of our lives...

What you do with it is up to you.

good point by kirigoe - enjoying the process is key. I'm somewhat type A (who am I kidding, I'm capital A+), and sometimes my wife has to rein me back in when I get pissed because I can't get something I'm working on (I still hate you F barre chord)...

All you youngsters should feel blessed you have the interest and opportunity and resources like this forum to learn guitar and music...
I started 3 months ago at age 42. So far I can play Bad Moon Risng, Wild Thing, My Sweet Lord, Sister Golden Hair, Squeeze Box, Brown Eyed Girl and working on a few others. I use the term "play" loosely though as I'm still not quite fast enough on my chord progressions to play them fluently. Sounds like you are doing very well if you can already make chord changes quickly. That is the key. For me it's been at times frustrating but always fun. I don't know if I'll ever be any good but it's always a work in progress no matter what your skill level. I'm glad I'm finally doing it and I also wish I had started earlier, much earlier. LOL This is a good day and age to be learning though since there is so much information and lessons to be had on the internet.
I just started 4 months ago and i'm playing Over the Hills and far away, Layla, Lola, of course most of the open position songs like Brown Eyed girl and I wanna hold your hand. I'm really enjoying lead mostly, thus my songs I enjoy playing like House of the Rising sun.

Sounds like your doing good man!
Well i'm over 60 and i'm still learning, I started learning at school many years ago, and i'm really glad I picked a pastime that has been able to follow me through life. So at 17 believe me you have plenty of time. One piece of advise, get a teacher, even for a short time.
Getting the basic's down properly will save you so much time .Cheers