Considering I haven't found a thread on backorders yet, anyone know why Gibson's been back-up so much lately? I ordered a Gibson Explorer during the beginning of May hoping it'd ship in just in time for my birthday; however I kept getting back-order notifications via emails telling me it's going to be shipped in the next week. It was fine and I didn't mind until I received my fourth notification telling me Gibson will need an extra month for it to be built.

I called up Guitar Center since I ordered it from their website, and they told me it's going to be shipped in August 17th when I called Mid-June, and I called up yesterday telling me it's going to be shipped in August 24th. Anyone know what's causing the backorder? Anyone know what I could do to expedite the shipment of my guitar? Anyone know how much longer the guitar is going to be backordered/ what is the probability the guitar shipment is going to be backordered again?

I'm going crazy out of anxiety, and I was supposed to enjoy it over the course of my college break. Unfortunately, if the guitar does ship in late August, I might have to move back in-state, since I'm moving out back to college, just to pick it up. It's definitely an inconvenience, but I don't want to be a nuisance to Gibson themselves considering I want them to do a good job on the guitar in the first place Anyhow, I've been saving up for this guitar for 4 years, and I can't wait for it to ship in.

Thanks for reading.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457526&page=1&pp=20

Same thing as this basically; but I was redirected here because I was serious about getting advice. It's my first post here.
Well, the paragraphs are a start.

Can't you change the delivery address if it takes too long?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
Well, the paragraphs are a start.

Can't you change the delivery address if it takes too long?

Haha, I've learned that you guys really care about paragraphs!

I'm pretty sure the delivery address doesn't really make that much of a difference and wouldn't cause several months in backorders xD

I've read up that Gibson had their fair share of problems with the exotic woods and the flooding and everything, so I know my address isn't the root of the problem. Right now I'm just trying to tackle the issue of how to get the guitar here faster or if I could do anything substantial that could perhaps expedite their delivery. I mean, besides killing everyone else off the queue of course. XD haha
Personally, if it were me... I'd call them and ask what is causing the delay. If you've put down a deposit and they keep delaying the ship date, you deserve to have a reason for the delay.
Quote by hawk5211
I thought I saw this thread yesterday too?

Deja vu. Perhaps you took the green pill.
Quote by hawk5211

He posted this thread in the Pit first.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Deja vu. Perhaps you took the green pill.

Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Jul 4, 2011,
The paragraphs are an improvement, but still. I dont know why you cant understand that there is no way to make a guitar company build your guitar any quicker. Even guys who pay $2000+ to have a custom guitar built have to wait at least 3 months for it to get built.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Dude, just cancel the order. I use American Musical Supply, Sweetwater and Music 123 to get my equipment from. They are a lot better than Guitar Center anyway and don't charge sales tax. Sweetwater has the Explorer in Ebony $1399)and they say they have "limited quantities" on the white (which means they may run out of stock as you order it; call them and speak to a sales guy and they can physically grab it for you if they still have any in stock).

They are out of the cherry, though. They are also out of the Dethklok signature.

Good luck on getting one soon. Cheers.
Quote by hawk5211

Yea, I just copied and pasted it over from the PIT to here, the electric guitar forum. I hoped to get some more insightful advice considering you guys are a more serious board and you guys would possibly have more experience with dealing with these sorts of problems.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Personally, if it were me... I'd call them and ask what is causing the delay. If you've put down a deposit and they keep delaying the ship date, you deserve to have a reason for the delay.

I called them up, guitar center, their customer service, AND Gibson. But the ultimate conclusion to that quest was that I was talking to a guy from Gibson and he literally gave me the customary response, "Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to release that sort of information to the public. Only a Gibson Sales Representatives can give out that information, and unfortunately, they do not speak directly to the individual consumers."
Again, if it were me, at that point, I'd demand a refund. To constantly delay your delivery month after month is inexcusable. On top of that, the Gibson rep gives you a crap answer. Your other choice is to call Guitar Center and try to enlist their help, which may be a joke.

It all comes down to how bad you want this guitar. Do you want it bad, or do you want it BAD. Either accept the runaround, or demand a refund. You can always buy something from the Custom Shop out of Sweetwater, Musician's Friend or GC. Your choice.
Quote by JAHellraiser
The paragraphs are an improvement, but still. I dont know why you cant understand that there is no way to make a guitar company build your guitar any quicker. Even guys who pay $2000+ to have a custom guitar built have to wait at least 3 months for it to get built.

Alright, so I understand. There is no way to make a guitar company to build my guitar any quicker. I'll just wait. Thanks for enlightening me.

Quote by CrawlingHorror
Dude, just cancel the order. I use American Musical Supply, Sweetwater and Music 123 to get my equipment from. They are a lot better than Guitar Center anyway and don't charge sales tax. Sweetwater has the Explorer in Ebony $1399)and they say they have "limited quantities" on the white (which means they may run out of stock as you order it; call them and speak to a sales guy and they can physically grab it for you if they still have any in stock).

They are out of the cherry, though. They are also out of the Dethklok signature.

Good luck on getting one soon. Cheers.

I don't really want to cancel an order fearing I'll just enter the same waters from a different perspective. The same Gibson backorder from a different company. I'll just be pushed back a couple spots on the queue. But thanks for the advice. I mean, the only reason why I got it through guitarcenter's website was because I originally ventured into their store hoping they had one in the back so they helped me order it online. They actually upgraded the delivery to priority after calling them about the shipment status and the backorder. The limited quantities white one is the one I ordered and all of them are out/ backordered.

Thanks for the good luck. Cheers back!

Quote by KG6_Steven
Again, if it were me, at that point, I'd demand a refund. To constantly delay your delivery month after month is inexcusable. On top of that, the Gibson rep gives you a crap answer. Your other choice is to call Guitar Center and try to enlist their help, which may be a joke.

It all comes down to how bad you want this guitar. Do you want it bad, or do you want it BAD. Either accept the runaround, or demand a refund. You can always buy something from the Custom Shop out of Sweetwater, Musician's Friend or GC. Your choice.

I want this guitar very much so. To the point of saving up every bit and scrap I have over the past 4 years to afford it. It's my dream guitar in terms that it has everything I've wanted; the tone, the low action for sweeping without fret buzz, everything. So I'll just wait patiently and burn the time until it finally ships in. I don't want anything custom since I don't have the money for anything custom.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Quote by MikeKski

I want this guitar very much so. To the point of saving up every bit and scrap I have over the past 4 years to afford it. It's my dream guitar in terms that it has everything I've wanted; the tone, the low action for sweeping without fret buzz, everything. So I'll just wait patiently and burn the time until it finally ships in. I don't want anything custom since I don't have the money for anything custom.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I don't want to completely be an asshole, by saying that Gibsons aren't as good as they use to be or as people say. a HUGE portion of what people believe makes gibsons good is the price, I mean its expensive it HAS to be good, and that their name is the biggest marketing ploy in the business.

you insist on a guitar with the tone and the ability to sweep. to which I say, look into canceling the order, and looking into an ibanez. an S might be better because of the mahogany body.

A prestige is build in japan, to which in my opinion is YEARS ahead of American companies as far as build quality and QC. you'd get it in time, and it won't be absurd amounts of money, depending on the model.

I'm not saying this is something you have to do, just a thought though.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Don't go cheap. Stick with the Gibson. If you wanted it enough to scrimp and save like you did, only to then buy something else, you will end up regretting it. Get the Gibson, but maybe, as others have stated, get it from a different dealer.
Quote by Sandman3769
Don't go cheap. Stick with the Gibson. If you wanted it enough to scrimp and save like you did, only to then buy something else, you will end up regretting it. Get the Gibson, but maybe, as others have stated, get it from a different dealer.

the only problem with that is its not the companies fault, gibson just doesn't care like they use to, they could forget to make a guitar and say Eh I'll get it next week its not like it will really hurt us. and they just keep putting it off. Unless the other company has it in stock, it'll be even longer to get it.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Cancel the freakin' order with stupid Guitar Center. The MusicZoo has both black ones and the Dethklok silverburst and I bet I could find about 20 other places that have them in stock too. Also, Explorers are a dime a dozen on eBay! You're already buying a guitar you've never played. Or search Craig's List and road trip to play the nearest ones.. I mean isn't that what musicians do..?
I don't think quality is a big problem for Gibson. My LP goldtop is perfect. Hell I bought a PRS that was bad. It happens to everyone. When the instrament cost $2K+ it just gets more bad press. A lot of this stuff happens after guitars leave the factory. I blame UPS for my bad PRS and destroying a blackstar amp. I'd just cancel the order and go through someone else. Chances are someone else has it in stock.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
I don't want to completely be an asshole, by saying that Gibsons aren't as good as they use to be or as people say. a HUGE portion of what people believe makes gibsons good is the price, I mean its expensive it HAS to be good, and that their name is the biggest marketing ploy in the business.

you insist on a guitar with the tone and the ability to sweep. to which I say, look into canceling the order, and looking into an ibanez. an S might be better because of the mahogany body.

A prestige is build in japan, to which in my opinion is YEARS ahead of American companies as far as build quality and QC. you'd get it in time, and it won't be absurd amounts of money, depending on the model.

I'm not saying this is something you have to do, just a thought though.

Well, I've wanted to play a Gibson Explorer ever since I started playing guitar. I mean, when I first picked up my first acoustic, the mental image I always had was, "When I get good enough, I'll shred on a Gibson Explorer like the pros." I dunno, ever since i first saw it; it kinda stuck to me. And it's been an inspiration; going through the acoustic phase, the customary first stratocaster everyone gets, all of it, i was thinking, was to get better until i can finally be good enough to play on that guitar. And I don't really care about japan or america or where it's built, but i do care about quality care and how the guitar performs. The price isn't holding me back, it's the worry this community instilled in me that I might get stuck with a block of bad wood for a guitar instead of what I was dreaming of since the beginning.

Quote by Sandman3769

Quote by BobDetroit
Cancel the freakin' order with stupid Guitar Center. The MusicZoo has both black ones and the Dethklok silverburst and I bet I could find about 20 other places that have them in stock too. Also, Explorers are a dime a dozen on eBay! You're already buying a guitar you've never played. Or search Craig's List and road trip to play the nearest ones.. I mean isn't that what musicians do..?

I can't agree with the first statement more. I really want to stick with Gibson because of all the effort I put into saving for it. The only reason I'm hesitant of switching dealers is because I'm afraid I'll venture into the same territory that the guitar's backordered either way, I will just be pushed back a couple spots in queue.

Quote by Sinister Waffle
the only problem with that is its not the companies fault, gibson just doesn't care like they use to, they could forget to make a guitar and say Eh I'll get it next week its not like it will really hurt us. and they just keep putting it off. Unless the other company has it in stock, it'll be even longer to get it.

That'll especially suck since they moved it back to the point where I'm literally going to get the guitar then move out of state to college the next day. If they postpone it again, i'm cancelling, and i'm ****ed for the whole year because I'm not going to be able to buy crap in college since i'm living the student on a budget eat Ramen soup lifestyle and I'm not going to come back to live with my parents this year.
Quote by philwhite
I don't think quality is a big problem for Gibson. My LP goldtop is perfect. Hell I bought a PRS that was bad. It happens to everyone. When the instrament cost $2K+ it just gets more bad press. A lot of this stuff happens after guitars leave the factory. I blame UPS for my bad PRS and destroying a blackstar amp. I'd just cancel the order and go through someone else. Chances are someone else has it in stock.

worriedface.jpg
You could always cancel the order, get your cash back, and buy a used on from eBay or something? You might be able to get an older model that's pretty baller, plus the pros you looked up to recorded their songs on these era guitars. Besides if you're wanting white, what looks better than an oldschool yellowed shred machine?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
You could always cancel the order, get your cash back, and buy a used on from eBay or something? You might be able to get an older model that's pretty baller, plus the pros you looked up to recorded their songs on these era guitars. Besides if you're wanting white, what looks better than an oldschool yellowed shred machine?

Well, in all honesty, this community has painted a pretty accurate portrait of what I should do in the next couple of months. I'm not going to take your advice, but here's what I am going to do. I'm going to wait till August, if it backorders even one day, I'm cancelling and I'm going to move to a different dealer. I'm keeping the Gibson Explorer though, it's been my dream guitar since ever and I'm going to end up regretting it if I just decide to change my mind because I was easily persuaded by internet people.
For crying out loud. There are tons of places to buy new Gibsons besides GC & MF! 2 of the priciest stores going with no service and buying blind to boot. As some have mentioned Sweetwater, Eddie's GUitars, Center City Music, Marks Guitar loft etc etc. Thye can tell you if one is in stock, show you actual pics of the guitar you'r buying (serial no), beat GC&MF prices to boot and not jerk you around.
Stop whining and do something or shut up about it.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
For crying out loud. There are tons of places to buy new Gibsons besides GC & MF! 2 of the priciest stores going with no service and buying blind to boot. As some have mentioned Sweetwater, Eddie's GUitars, Center City Music, Marks Guitar loft etc etc. Thye can tell you if one is in stock, show you actual pics of the guitar you'r buying (serial no), beat GC&MF prices to boot and not jerk you around.
Stop whining and do something or shut up about it.

Yea, Sweetwater it is. Thanks, I'll shut up now.
my sam ash has them in stock. nice guitars. good luck with gc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MikeKski
Well, I've wanted to play a Gibson Explorer ever since I started playing guitar. I mean, when I first picked up my first acoustic, the mental image I always had was, "When I get good enough, I'll shred on a Gibson Explorer like the pros." I dunno, ever since i first saw it; it kinda stuck to me. And it's been an inspiration; going through the acoustic phase, the customary first stratocaster everyone gets, all of it, i was thinking, was to get better until i can finally be good enough to play on that guitar. And I don't really care about japan or america or where it's built, but i do care about quality care and how the guitar performs. The price isn't holding me back, it's the worry this community instilled in me that I might get stuck with a block of bad wood for a guitar instead of what I was dreaming of since the beginning.

That's perfectly understandable, when I was first starting to learn I wanted an SG, if it wasn't an SG I didn't care. I finally had about 1300 to go and get one, and I played, at least 100, none were better than my starter guitar at all, they all were just crap. but they had the gibson logo on them, so people would tell me it was good and worth the money.

I'm not telling you to listen to a word I say, just that sometimes things like that can get the best of you. if you just want the explorer shape there are plenty out there.

I mean this will be you guitar, resale value shouldn't matter, and frankly to me thats all gibson is now.

Best of luck to you though!
You belong in a museum.

Quote by gregs1020
my sam ash has them in stock. nice guitars. good luck with gc.

get in contact with me.
i had the same thing happen with my egnater tweaker, it took me four months to get it, and i called and complained to M123 so many times i got it for $250 instead of the $400 listed. if you call and complain, most online gear sites will keep you happy, even if it means a loss of profit because they want you to buy from them again.

having said that, i will not buy anything brand new for anything less that 20% OFF what it sells for on a daily basis.

if you are unhappy about something say something. i called d'addario about a box of strings that went duller faster than normal (i go through a lot of strings as i play alot of differnet guitars frequently. but i called them up and the sent me 10 free sets of the nickel blues free, they were at the door three days later.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Dude not to be a dick but i saw a white explorer in a GC earlier today... Start going everywhere that sells guitars within a 100sq miles and you'll find one... Cancel that shit, pay cash and get the tax waived... Why wait especially if you have the money.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
PM returned bro.

good luck, let us know how it turns out.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If it helps, I ordered a back-ordered 60s tribute Les Paul Studio Goldtop from American Musical supply, along with a case and strings. AMS screwed up the order several times when they couldn't ship the case and strings to the right address, or contact UPS to change to the right one. SO I canceled the back-order and went with Guitar Center because they projected an earlier arrival. Well, they kept pushing the date back and finally it was the last straw when they told me they couldn't guarantee I'd even get one. So I called Sam Ash, they told me I'd be high on the list to get one from the next batch. I cancelled with GC and went with Sam Ash. They kept pushing the date back as well, and after telling me it'd be 3 more months, they unexpectedly shipped my guitar 3 weeks later. I love the guitar, and everytime I called Sam Ash, they were awesome and very nice.

So my recommendation is to cancel with Guitar Center and go through Sam Ash.