Hai guys.

Was playing along to The Allman Brothers version of Stormy Monday earlier and it got me thinking about chords. You dudes got any suggestions for learning more 'advanced' blues (or jazz-blues) rhythm guitar? Any great instructional books or dvds that are worth studying? Any particular players that are worth analysing? Any albums that an aspiring blues guitarist should learn?

I see a ton stuff aimed at helping dudes enhance their lead playing, and many of the blues guitarists that people worship only play lead and sing - its hard to know where to look when trying to become a really top notch blues rhythm player, which is a more important role in the band anyway.

Personally im not looking to learn old delta/acoustic or slide style blues playing (not at the moment at least) but I wanna become well versed in all styles from T-Bone walker jump blues to Robben Ford kinda stuff (its Fords blues rhythms you can use instructional CD and DVD that brought more sophisticated playing to my attention, although I have yet to fully study the content) and everything (SRV, the Kings, Buddy Guy etc) in between.
I love the jazz-tinged blues of guys like Mat Schofield and Robben ford so I wanna learn how to comp to that kinda stuff too (Ive started learning some charts from the real book with my teacher so I imagine that should help).

So yeah, any suggestions of how to bring the rhythm playing up to the next level? Im going to look at learning ways to use inversions and chord substitutions I think, but dont really know how to apply this stuff properly. Any general blues rhythm advice is welcome and appreciated.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 4, 2011,
start applying chords like 9ths and 13s to give 12-bar a jazzy feel

lot of the rhythm is just riffs, if you're thinking the Kings there's a lot of call and response

also, real book = awesome
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Jul 4, 2011,
Yeah I saw BB King last week and while I loved all the guitar solos I was almost as impressed by the stuff his rythm guitarist was doing. I like doing 9th and 13th chords where I can but some guys play all sorts of inversions and altered / substituted chords and Im just scratching the surface of all that fun stuff.

Anyone tried to learn from this guy? http://www.youtube.com/user/crazemusik#p/search/3/OSuvrN7yrp4
Looks promising
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 4, 2011,
I'm pretty sure that T-Bone Walker used a lot of 7th chords. So, I'm sure the Allman Brothers Band used 7th chords too when they covered "Stormy Monday". Or so I've read elsewhere anyhow...

I've only ever played fills and leads when listening/playing along with "Stormy Monday", so I can't be totally sure about those chords; nor am I really handy with theory. So, that's my disclaimer, or something...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
T-bone actually uses a crapload of 9ths, 13ths. sometimes the best thing you can do as playing rythym is to just lay out. not being a smart-ass, it's true.