ok so i havent really seen this information anywhere so im curious about it:

what kind of floyds does carvin put on thier guitars if you order one? is it an OFR or LFR? if its an LFR, are they decent?

and what kind of necks do carvin necks compare to? jackson? ibanez? fender?
more speceifcally the 7 string necks.
its an LFR.

as for the necks, with a 14" radius I wouldnt imagine they feel much like an Ibanez.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ Carvin's 'standard' neck radius is 12''. A fair few Ibanez guitars have a 12'' radius on the neck. Granted the RG's & S's etc. are all about 17'', but that is definitely not the case across the board.

Fender necks have varied somewhat, IIRC the older necks had a radius of 7.25'', while more recently it's been 9.5''. The new MIA deluxes have a compound radius board from 9.5'' - 14''. Carvin offer 3 radius options: 10'', 12'' and 14''.

However, even with a similar radius necks can be very different shapes. I don't know what shape Carvin necks are, but would be interested to find out.

As for the FR, I'm afraid I don't know, but again, would be interested to find out...
Adam
Last edited by adzlee123 at Jul 5, 2011,
Carvin uses OFR on their 6 strings, LFR for the 7 strings.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by adzlee123
^ Carvin's 'standard' neck radius is 12''. A fair few Ibanez guitars have a 12'' radius on the neck. Granted the RG's & S's etc. are all about 17'', but that is definitely not the case across the board.

Fender necks have varied somewhat, IIRC the older necks had a radius of 7.25'', while more recently it's been 9.5''. The new MIA deluxes have a compound radius board from 9.5'' - 14''. Carvin offer 3 radius options: 10'', 12'' and 14''.

However, even with a similar radius necks can be very different shapes. I don't know what shape Carvin necks are, but would be interested to find out.

As for the FR, I'm afraid I don't know, but again, would be interested to find out...

This is true but they only offer a 14" radius on their 7s mate ( though if you ask and are willing to pay they can do a 20" radius too.)

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by OldRocker
Carvin uses OFR on their 6 strings, LFR for the 7 strings.

will the carvin 7 string LFRs be a problem?

and the radius isnt too big of a concern, im more interested about the actual neck shape.
No but lots of people complain with the LFR the strings are too close to the edge of the neck.

I should be able to answer your question in a few days

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Can I ask, why do you want a Floyd on a 7 string? I personally find them to be kind of cumbersome. It just requires too much spring tension to counter the string tension, and this not only makes use of the Floyd less smooth, but adds more pressure to the knife edge, possibly causing faster wear.

I know a few big names do it, and do it well, like Jeff Loomis, for example. I've messed with it and found it's not my cup of tea. And a 7 string is awesome for alternate tunings, something you can do easily on a Floyd, or at least, not floating one.
i dont know, ive just been tossing the idea of a 7 string with a floyd, to get out of what im comfortable with which is hard tail 6 strings, and itd be something for me to experiment with. im not wanting it to emulate any particular artist, just to expand creativly some more i guess.

and what is Tom 1.0 talking about then?