Page 1 of 2
on these phrases?

"theres no new country music. just pop music in a country wrapping"

"theres no rock and roll, it died. its all popularity and looks now"

and

"music isnt music anymore. its all about the flavor of the month and not the music."

so pit, i had a discussion with someone about music and those phrases all came up (the country one from me and the rest from the guy i was talking to)

what do you think of it? are they right, wrong, somewhat right?

discuss your opinions regarding the thoughts stated above.

i feel there actually true except they rock and roll one, i think it just split into different kinds of rock.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
I don't know enough about country to say anything about the first one.
But the last two are falser than your granddad's teeth.
put "popular" or "on the radio" in and they would fit, but there's still good music being made, just not getting played
Quote by Baby Joel
I don't know enough about country to say anything about the first one.
But the last two are falser than your granddad's teeth.

thats my view on it. the guy apparently felt music (no matter the genre) is turning into shit, not realizing that music is constantly changing.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
People have been saying those things since before your great grandpa humped his cousin.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by k-train
thats my view on it. the guy apparently felt music (no matter the genre) is turning into shit, not realizing that music is constantly changing.

Tell this guy to stop listening to the radio, stop reading crappy magazines, go out to some local gigs, and find the music he likes. Because it's definitely there. Even the old school rock is still out there, you just have to be in the right circles.
Quote by Vornik
People have been saying those things since before your great grandpa humped his cousin.

why the redneck incest joke?

Quote by Baby Joel
Tell this guy to stop listening to the radio, stop reading crappy magazines, go out to some local gigs, and find the music he likes. Because it's definitely there. Even the old school rock is still out there, you just have to be in the right circles.

i actually told him he's a idiot and left it at that before it became an arguement but yeah i should tell him that if we discuss music again
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at Jul 4, 2011,
I agree that (true) rock and roll died, but I haven't got a clue where he's getting the idea of popularity and looks from.

Personally I just think he's being ignorant and not making the effort to find music that's about the music.

The phrase "mainstream garbage" comes to mind, just turn off the radio and ignore magazines then find music that you're looking for instead of being told by the media what's best to listen to.
E-adopted by Andrea55

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
sucks to be you

Quote by metal4eva_22
you fail on so many levels it's funny

Formspring

[Insert statement here]
Last edited by Metallica_AC/DC at Jul 4, 2011,
The music industry has always been the flavor of the month.

Love the Low end
Quote by k-train
why the redneck incest joke?

redneck incest...redundant much?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

There is good and new country, but you have to turn off the radio and look elsewhere to find it. Now I like a lot of radio country, but the real stuff is a little more hidden.

Same with any music really. Every kind of music has been commercialized and it's more about selling a product than making true art. That doesn't mean though, that there isn't any good music and good art out there. You just have to dig a little deeper to find it.
There is real country. If you've never listened to country, don't talk about it.

Rock isn't about popularity.

Music is still music.

Radio music is what you've described in all three statements. There's no good country on the radio, just like there's no good rap or rock on the radio. The only thing on the radio is what's popular. A group of 18 year olds with long hair and a shitty smell don't appeal to many people, so they play Nickleback instead.

I think if you're going to make those statements in general, you have no real idea about any genre's other than "pop."
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by mattkendell
redneck incest...redundant much?

well i thought he was implying it because country music= rednecks, hicks, and hillbilly's to most people

Quote by Skynyrd890
There is real country. If you've never listened to country, don't talk about it.

Rock isn't about popularity.

Music is still music.

Radio music is what you've described in all three statements. There's no good country on the radio, just like there's no good rap or rock on the radio. The only thing on the radio is what's popular. A group of 18 year olds with long hair and a shitty smell don't appeal to many people, so they play Nickleback instead.

I think if you're going to make those statements in general, you have no real idea about any genre's other than "pop."

i know there is real country. im talking about the typical country that everyone knows about. i grew up on country music, didnt listen to anything else until i turned 15.

to clear things up by real country i mean like hank willams, johnny cash, merle haggard loretta lynn, emmelou harris, people like that.

by new country i mean like lady antebellum, taylor swift, rascal flatts, etc. its basically "pop music" disguised as country to make money in that genre.

and i only made one statement the others were from who i was talking to.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by Skynyrd890

There's no good country on the radio, just like there's no good rap or rock on the radio. The only thing on the radio is what's popular.

I disagree. These sentences just seem like blanket statements and they imply anything popular (on the radio) is bad.

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
I disagree. These sentences just seem like blanket statements and they imply anything popular (on the radio) is bad.

your right, there are some good songs here and there, but unfortunatly you hear very little other then the money makers kissing ass on music row. so you dont hear as many different artists.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I agree with all of those statements. Music has been shit for a long time now, save for a few good acts here and there. but 99.999999999999999999 percent of everything else is shit.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
as a personal opinion, i agree with all of them. i hate all of the newer bands. but, for country, it is true all the way. modern country is the crappest crap, not to mention, that every male country singer sounds exactly alike
Sounds to me like some pussy whining because he doesn't realize that it's always been about the flavor of the month to most people.

Deal with it.

edit: Check out #1.

Not that the guy who wrote the article doesn't come across as an elitist prick, but that should shut most people up making those sorts of claims.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
I was asking the guy I quoted. I want to see how disillusioned he is.

Well I answered it!

Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Zeelod

I don't mean that at all. I mean that the station doesn't represent the genre. Taylor Swift isn't a good representation of country, just like Lil Wayne isn't. But then again, there is Eric Church (who I think is a pretty good representation of new country).

Quote by k-train
well i thought he was implying it because country music= rednecks, hicks, and hillbilly's to most people

i know there is real country. im talking about the typical country that everyone knows about. i grew up on country music, didnt listen to anything else until i turned 15.

to clear things up by real country i mean like hank willams, johnny cash, merle haggard loretta lynn, emmelou harris, people like that.

by new country i mean like lady antebellum, taylor swift, rascal flatts, etc. its basically "pop music" disguised as country to make money in that genre.

and i only made one statement the others were from who i was talking to.

I agree with most of that. But I think there's very good new country that doesn't play just to be on the radio. But you're right about the rest... it's pop music with a banjo.

And if any of this post seems to make little sense, it's because I'm still buzzed so... I'll check in later lol
Quote by StewieSwan

MMMMMMMMMMM WHATCHA SAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY............

In all seriousness though, if you think there isn't any good music from this generation(or any generation for that matter) you either don't know how to find music that you like, or you have no taste.

There's good stuff out there, you just have to find it.
I can't stand it when people use the term 'real' or 'true' and apply it whatever music they're listening to. Anyone who throws out any of these phrases is a narrow minded fool acting like music "died" in the last century. It didn't... What did happen was the industry changed it.

If People can't find anything likeable about modern music, they need to turn off MTV and learn how to use the Internet properly.
Quote by Skynyrd890
I don't mean that at all. I mean that the station doesn't represent the genre. Taylor Swift isn't a good representation of country, just like Lil Wayne isn't. But then again, there is Eric Church (who I think is a pretty good representation of new country).

I agree with most of that. But I think there's very good new country that doesn't play just to be on the radio. But you're right about the rest... it's pop music with a banjo.

And if any of this post seems to make little sense, it's because I'm still buzzed so... I'll check in later lol

your right there is. eric church and dierks bently are good examples. what i mean though is when you ask someone about country music the first thing that comes to mind to most people now is taylor swift, and the rest of the pop country crap. (i have no problems with them except that they shouldnt be called country) and its because when you turn on the radio, you dont hear "guys like me" by eric church, or "leaving left to do" by dierks bently. you hear rascal flatts, then taylor swift, then a good song, then some crappy pop country again. its very rare to hear something that can be called true country anymore.

Quote by Alkaline 64
I can't stand it when people use the term 'real' or 'true' and apply it whatever music they're listening to. Anyone who throws out any of these phrases is a narrow minded fool acting like music "died" in the last century. It didn't... What did happen was the industry changed it.

If People can't find anything likeable about modern music, they need to turn off MTV and learn how to use the Internet properly.

im saying that about country and im not narrow minded or a fool. and i dont think music dies.

i find plenty of modern music likeable. i just feel that none of the real country music (like merle haggard, hank williams, the older stuff) is being made. its all people who sound like pop stars, act like them, and seem to know nothing about the genre there in. (you got singers like justin moore singing about being outlaws. how the hell are you an outlaw if you drive around in a nice truck obey the laws and kiss everyones ass to get where you are in life? and thats one example of how ignorant they are)
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at Jul 5, 2011,
Quote by k-train
your right there is. eric church and dierks bently are good examples. what i mean though is when you ask someone about country music the first thing that comes to mind to most people now is taylor swift, and the rest of the pop country crap. (i have no problems with them except that they shouldnt be called country) and its because when you turn on the radio, you dont hear "guys like me" by eric church, or "leaving left to do" by dierks bently. you hear rascal flatts, then taylor swift, then a good song, then some crappy pop country again. its very rare to hear something that can be called true country anymore.

Exactly!
Quote by k-train
i find plenty of modern music likeable. i just feel that none of the real country music (like merle haggard, hank williams, the older stuff) is being made.

Exchange the word 'real' for 'old' and there wouldn't be a problem. I think you're forgetting that the term "real country music" is totally subjective and based off your own opinion. Now, if you're looking for new country music that's in the style of the old masters, you'll have a hard time finding it on TV or the radio like it might be in say the '30s. You can't be purist like that. Things like last fm and streaming radio are great for finding new music, and for me it's part of what makes the Internet so great because there's so much of it! If you honestly can't find anything you enjoy (which is unlikely) that's fine, you'll just have to reminisce, but I don't think you're looking hard enough.

Quote by k-train
its all people who sound like pop stars, act like them, and seem to know nothing about the genre there in. (you got singers like justin moore singing about being outlaws. how the hell are you an outlaw if you drive around in a nice truck obey the laws and kiss everyones ass to get where you are in life? and thats one example of how ignorant they are)

There were lots of great wealthy country musicians who pulled a few strings to make it to the top, that definitely isn't new. Also, you don't have to be honest to be good. Johnny Cash had never been locked up in prison, yet he still wrote Folsom Prison Blues didn't he? Inspiration dosen't always have to be personal.
Well, I don't like it when people say that a certain genre is 'dead'. The mainstream may be dreadful and stale, but that doesn't mean nothing good can come of it in the future. Anyway, genres evolve, old bands reunite, etc.
Quote by Alkaline 64
Exchange the word 'real' for 'old' and there wouldn't be a problem. I think you're forgetting that the term "real country music" is totally subjective and based off your own opinion. Now, if you're looking for new country music that's in the style of the old masters, you'll have a hard time finding it on TV or the radio like it might be in say the '30s. You can't be purist like that. Things like last fm and streaming radio are great for finding new music, and for me it's part of what makes the Internet so great because there's so much of it! If you honestly can't find anything you enjoy (which is unlikely) that's fine, you'll just have to reminisce, but I don't think you're looking hard enough.

There were lots of great wealthy country musicians who pulled a few strings to make it to the top, that definitely isn't new. Also, you don't have to be honest to be good. Johnny Cash had never been locked up in prison, yet he still wrote Folsom Prison Blues didn't he? Inspiration dosen't always have to be personal.

theres no problem with calling it real or not real because thats what it is. real or not real. listen to old country music and then listen to something recent. they sound completly different. almost all new country is pop music labeled as country so it'll sell for nashville instead of somewhere else. its not true country music. its like saying punk and metal are the same. there not.

and i know what your saying about the musicians, but you have these new people acting like there just like johnny cash and all. there not and its a insult to the original musicians. im not saying you cant write a song based on someone elses experience but damn dont write a song saying your something your not its as stupid as when beiber said he feels like this generations kurt cobain.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Page 1 of 2