I have a Traynor YCV50 which I've been playing for about 5 years. Recently, I haven't been playing it much, but I've noticed that the volume is cutting out drastically quite often and that there's often clipping even at low volumes. Is this a sign that it's finally time to change the tubes, or could this be something more insidious?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
seems like a good excuse to buy a shiny new amp
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
insidious?

your amp is definitely possessed.

i think it will require a priest.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
How terrifically helpful, thanks.

I already knew the amp was possessed, that's the source of my incredible power. I don't want to exorcise the demon prince who lives in the preamp, I want to know if I should buy new tubes, damnit.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik

I already knew the amp was possessed, that's the source of my incredible power. I don't want to exorcise the demon prince who lives in the preamp, I want to know if I should buy new tubes, damnit.

Yes, it's time for new tubes.
yeah just tubes.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Cool, thanks.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
If your volume is drastically dropping at random, then that's usually a sure-fire indicator of your power tubes on the way out.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Vornik

Ohhhh... do you know which one of them daemon princes? There is one that has power over insane guitar skills and lusty, horny groupies! Just make sure its not the one that gives you a festering gut disease.

Check the power tubes, intermittent volume changes are indicative of a dying power tube.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Replace them all. I have the same problem with my ycv 40. Except it's was just clipping on the clean channel at all volumes, even low. One of the preamp tubes were shot, changed them all, back to playing!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra