I use medium gauge Fender strings. I recenty purchased an Ibanez ART100 and put some Ernie Ball 12's on it (I think). My question is: How heavy do I need to go, in order for the strings to feel the same as a set of medium gauge?

And yes I know a lot of guitarists do not like Fender strings. I love their "350" strings. I'm NOT bias about what brand to use for drop tunings though. I just want ones that don't feel like ultra-lights when I'm tuned to drop C.

Just please don't be immature and get off-topic by trying to nitpick my choice of strings. I've tried almost every brand of medium and light gauge strings. The Fender 350's just work the best for me. Thanks.

Dave
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
I use D'Addario 12's on my Epi. My strings don't feel floppy at all when tuned to Dropped C.
Awesome! Thank you much! Also, does my guitar's action effect how being in drop C feels?
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Yes, it does in fact. I set my guitar up so that I would have nice low action while tuned to Dropped A. Even though it's tuned 2 whole steps up (I think?) it's still low enough for my liking.
Ernie Ball: Slinky Tops, Heavy Bottoms. Have them on all my guitars; A BC Rich Warlock, ESP Eclipse II, and a Fender Tele.

They feel great on the low strings, and they feel really good on the high strings (While tuned to D Standard, Drop C & Drop B)! .52-.10
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Tune to drop C and do complete setup with fresh D'Addarios. Got it.
Quote by Duv
Quote by therosa69
Ernie Ball: Slinky Tops, Heavy Bottoms. Have them on all my guitars; A BC Rich Warlock, ESP Eclipse II, and a Fender Tele.

They feel great on the low strings, and they feel really good on the high strings (While tuned to D Standard, Drop C & Drop B)! .52-.10

I used those for several years before my parents got me several sets of the Fenders for Christmas. I'll try those out too.
Quote by Duv
Last edited by willhurley82 at Jul 5, 2011,
Are .10-.52's big enough for C standard; drop B?

I've been considering dropping from D standard down to C, but I'm worried the strings will get a little floppy...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood